Menu

Help me out. DS is absolutely wrong, amirite?

unsinkable

York Peppermint Patties  

243 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call York Peppermint Patties?

• Yorks
    • Peppermint patties
    • York Peppermint Patties
    • Peppermints
    • I don't mention them because it is like calling forth evil.
    • Other

I mentioned this in another thread. That my son refers to York Peppermint Patties as "Yorks."

And that is absolutely wrong. And no one Does. That.

This calls for a poll!

OMG...this reminds me that DS and I had a Vociferous Discussion about him erroneously calling York Peppermint Patties...Yorks.

I told him no one does that. And to stop. It's wrong, as in..."She passed out Yorks for Halloween."

Stop. Stopstopstopstop. But he didn't. "He said he had leftover candy and pulled a bag of Yorks from his briefcase."

:willy_nilly:

York Peppermint Patties.

I don't buy them because they are my personal eat-the-whole-bag food. I even think I don't tolerate large amounts of peppermint flavor well, but even so...I'll eat them until I'm sick.

• Like 6

DS also calls them "Yorks." DH calls them peppermint patties, or York peppermint patties. I am guessing there was probably an advertising campaign that seared "York peppermint patties" into people's brains, because if you look at the packaging (which I can do because DS got some for Halloween), of course you would just call them York. I had to really look to find "peppermint pattie" on the packaging.

• Like 1

York Peppermint Patties.

I don't buy them because they are my personal eat-the-whole-bag food. I even think I don't tolerate large amounts of peppermint flavor well, but even so...I'll eat them until I'm sick.

Same!

And you have to say "York Peppermint Patties" because if someone hands you a janky generic peppermint patty, you will rue the day you left off the first syllable. RUE! the day!

:lol:

Ds and I JUST had this same conversation like last week as he was polishing off the Halloween candy.

Ds: I wish I'd gotten more of those, you know, those minty things.

Me: Peppermint patties?

Ds: No... that's not what they're called.

Me: Yeah, I think that's what you mean.

Ds: No, it's something with a Y... York, I think. I think they're called Yorks.

Me: No. They're sometimes called York Peppermint Patty, but not ever York. Usually they're just peppermint patties.

Ds: No, you're wrong. Everyone calls them Yorks.

Me: Um, no, you couldn't even remember what they were called a minute ago.

Ds: Why can't you ever admit I'm right!

Have I mentioned that ds has a problem with being right all the time. Also last Wednesday he argued with dh that it wasn't Wednesday.

• Like 11

DS also calls them "Yorks." DH calls them peppermint patties, or York peppermint patties. I am guessing there was probably an advertising campaign that seared "York peppermint patties" into people's brains, because if you look at the packaging (which I can do because DS got some for Halloween), of course you would just call them York. I had to really look to find "peppermint pattie" on the packaging.

When I was a kid they were advertised during the Peanuts holiday specials. We call them worm patties because my mom was unfortunate enough to get a wormy one. Nobody in our family eats them now.

I love York Pep. Patties and I call them by their full name because in my area there are several brands.  I'm specific which one I want.

I will tell a clerk I'm looking for the peppermint patties location or I may ask for York specifically.

I've never heard them called  York but I'm also in the south.  We call all carbonated drinks coke where the rest of the US call them Pop.   We are a culture all to ourselves LOL

• Like 1

I've never heard them called York but I'm also in the south. We call all carbonated drinks coke where the rest of the US call them Pop. We are a culture all to ourselves LOL

I've never heard them called Yorks either and I live in the north. I grew up in California and people always referred to soda as "Coke", as in "I'll have a Coke." "What kind?" "Sprite." I've never heard that anywhere else and assumed it was regional. Only certain areas refer to it as pop; I've only ever heard it in the south.

• Like 1

I've never heard them called  York but I'm also in the south.  We call all carbonated drinks coke where the rest of the US call them Pop.   We are a culture all to ourselves LOL

I'm not from the South, but I don't call it Pop, that's blasphemy. I call it Soda. :) In fact, the last couple of months, dh and I have been enjoying what we lovingly call "Artisan Soda Saturday" where we get weird sodas and try a different one every week.

Also, York Peppermint Patty or Peppermint Patty are both acceptable. The latter only if it won't be confused with other peppermint candies.

I despise the things but my daughter loves dark chocolate and peppermint so I buy them occasionally.  Actually now that she has a job she has to buy her own.

We agree that they are York Peppermint Patties; if we buy an off brand she calls them "those chocolate peppermint things that aren't as good as York Peppermint Patties but are OK if that's all you'll buy." 

Not Yorks. Whoever is saying that needs to abandon their silly attempt at hipster pretentiousness. Also throw out their clip-on man bun.

:lol: I think he's too young to be a hipster.

He has that trendy shaved on the sides, long on top haircut. No "mun" clip-on or otherwise.

I don't know if this will work but his hair is like this but probably a bit longer in the bangs:

http://hairstyleonpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/1e73dc9a976e336d356a0be9f445edc2.jpg

• Like 1

I think on the newer packaging it is hard to see the "peppermint patty" and the "York" is really prominent.

I grew up in York, Pennsylvania.

I have never, ever heard them called Yorks before I read this thread.

Usually, they are called York Peppermint Patties.  Sometimes people just call them Peppermint Patties and you know that they mean the local ones.

When I was in elementary school, my mom babysat some kids that lived down the street.  Their mom worked at the York Peppermint Pattie factory.  We had "seconds" in our freezer all summer.  Think double chocolate or multiples stuck together.  I still like to eat them frozen!

• Like 1