Menu

How to dry a book... (sounds like the NAME of a book :)

I have stood the book on edge, and fanned it open so the pages are apart. You can use a hairdryer on low setting to help dry the pages. The important part is that you want the pages to dry apart from another page. If the pages dry together they will most likely stick together.

if it is all wrinktled, I always press it and the wrinkles will come out. My dh has one of those heavy duty vice press thingees (I have no idea what these are called, it is screwed onto his workbench), I think it is a vice. I put the book between two thin boards and then turn the vice as tight as it will go. Leave alone for a few days.

Just make sure the book is completely dry first - otherwise it will mold.

Hallie - who once dropped a book she was reading aloud in the dog's water dish just when it got to the exciting part.

You should ideally freeze it dry, but that'll take too long, I guess.

Do you live near me? I'm in JC.

How exactly would you go about freeze drying it? I guess I could put that book off for a few days if it's the "best" way to do it.

I live in Greeneville. I was just in JC yesterday at Target and Books-A-Million.

and I can't even blame it on the kids; i drop books in the bathtub (and shower) all the time because I get bored unless I can read while I'm scrubbing off.

Hang it, pages down and spine facing the ceiling, over a wire clothes hanger in a warm place. Every hour or so, go move the coat hanger so that it fits into a different set of pages.

Hope that makes sense.

If I had to do this, I'd put two similar-sized hardcover books (maybe not my most precious ones, ya know?) on either side of the book, then put it in the freezer with as much stuff as possible weighing down on top of it. I don't know how long to keep it in there, though. Maybe google freeze-drying books? :-)

My email is burdettp@hotmail.com. Let me know when you're up sometime. We could meet for coffee or something.

I don't know what to do!! So many ideas! I guess by the time I figure it out, it'll be dry! :)

I can't stand it up because the front cover ripped due to the water.

I'm frantically searching for a wire hanger. I hate them for clothes, but I thought I saved a few for times like this.

Right now it's just sitting on my kitchen counter with a paper towel in between all of the wet pages. The first 36 are completely drenched. The rest of the book is just slightly wet on the edges.

I will definitely have to put it in the vice grips though, as the cover is completely a different shape! It was almost brand new... it's a good thing he's my fourth kid or else I'd probably be freaking out! :D