Menu

recommendation for a good probiotic

atozmom

My rheumatologist specifically recommends Align. According to her, many probiotic pills contain strains that actually "fight" or "eat" each other. Align apparently has only probiotic strains that work well together.

(FWIW she also recommended that I take s boulardii for post-C diff health, but to take it at a different time of day than I take Align.)

I think it depends on the individual situation.

For example, my understanding is that Florastor (the yeast S. boulardii, which isn't a bacteria) does not really colonize the gut.  It is good for killing certain types of bacteria, notably c. diff, and good for situations involving diarrhea.  Perhaps it helps certain people create the right environment for other microbes to do well.  (S. boulardii exacerbated gut problems for my ds.  He tends toward constipation.)

Culturelle may be better for individuals tending toward constipation.

Align may be better for those with anxiety issues.

Some people may do better with higher dose probiotics (e.g. VSL) or with a mixture.

Some people may do better with more lactobacillus species, others with more bifido species, and others with an even mixture.  Some people do worse with acidophilus specifically.  Some people may do best by rotating different ones on different days.

One of my more recent purchases is L. plantarum - it might be one of those types that does not colonize in the long term but helps other microbes (I can't remember off-hand).

For me personally, I prefer kefir; the kids like the Lifeway flavored stuff.

• Like 1

The probiotic that I've seen the best results from is ProBio5.

It contains a lot of great ingredients including enzymes to help break down yeast and grape seed extract which is a potent anti-viral and anti-bacterial.  The "friendly bacteria" in them is packaged in such a way to reach their intended destination in the digestive tract where they can do the most good, so even if the potency isn't as high as some others they really work.     I have really seen a lot of family members helped through it with various issues, including my husband (cleared up issues with milk allergies and ear infections). The price is pretty reasonable, too. 

I'd be happy to provide additional information about the ingredients, what each of them do, and why I think it's the best if anyone would like.

You can buy it here http://shopmyplexus.com/paulk/products/probio5.html.

(I am an ambassador for Plexus, but the reason I am is that I truly believe in their products and we use them ourselves.)

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know why?

Can you suggest a website (or book) for reading about how the different types of probiotics work for different situations? Thanks.

Sorry I just saw this... I wish I had a resource for you.  Mostly, I picked up those ideas from our various doctors (including some naturopathic ones) and random anecdotes.  The widely-available brand name ones that are sold by major chains are more likely to have studies associated with them, though it helps to have an idea of the strain(s) in the brand name (e.g. Align is a particular type of B. infantis); if there's a particular issue you're dealing with, it might be worth a pubmed search.

• Like 1

I'm really intrigued by a possible link between gut and anxiety.

You might be interested in this article about gut health and anxiety.   I didn't realize there was a connection either, but I know some friends that have been helped by a good pro-biotic.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/21/4595712/gut-feelings-the-future-of-psychiatry-may-be-inside-your-stomach

• Like 2

Has anyone seen a probiotic that doesn't contain lactobacillus? After some extensive testing, I need to make a few changes.

There are some with individual bifido strains such as Align (B. infantis).  You might poke around at Klaire and at your local natural food/vitamin store.  There are also SBOs (soil-based probiotics) such as this.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

You might be interested in this article about gut health and anxiety.   I didn't realize there was a connection either, but I know some friends that have been helped by a good pro-biotic.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/21/4595712/gut-feelings-the-future-of-psychiatry-may-be-inside-your-stomach

I wound up in the hospital in 2004, mostly because they didn't know what was wrong with me and kept me there for tests. While it turned out to be not serious, I was diagnosed with both GERD and IBS. It was around the time my panic attacks were happening as well and I was put on anxiety meds. The Gastroenterologist I saw at that time (a well respected one in my city) said he often sees gut problems come with anxiety and vice versa.

Once I was diagnosed I realized I probably had some form of anxiety most of my life. As a kid I would get stomach problems when stressed. If something was going on at school I'd complain of a stomach ache, which the adults in my life thought was my way of trying to get out of school. Back then they used to call it a "nervous stomach". 

It's not quite clear what the connection is between gut issues and anxiety, but more and more studies are showing that a connection exists.

I've been unofficially following this thread because I can't bring myself to eat yogurt every day, don't like kefir (it tastes like buttermilk to me, which I don't like except when used in cooking), won't touch kombucha, and just don't like enough fermented foods to get probiotics through my diet.

I've had good results with Probonix. It has 12 different strains, undergoes a lot of laboratory testing, and claims to have a secret for getting the good bacteria past the stomach juices and into the intestines. It seems to live up to it's claims as I noticed a difference within a few days (and haven't had that type of positive response from other probiotics). 

There are some with individual bifido strains such as Align (B. infantis).  You might poke around at Klaire and at your local natural food/vitamin store.  There are also SBOs (soil-based probiotics) such as this.

Thank you! I've been trying for the last few days, and every single one I've come across has had several strains of lactobacillus as the first ingredients. 

You're awesome!  :001_smile:

I've been unofficially following this thread because I can't bring myself to eat yogurt every day, don't like kefir (it tastes like buttermilk to me, which I don't like except when used in cooking), won't touch kombucha, and just don't like enough fermented foods to get probiotics through my diet.

DH cannot abide kefir or yogurt either (and owing to an inflammatory disease, he needs them even more than the rest of us)--but he will take them in smoothies and various "cream" soups (leek potato soup is the favorite here, but any cream soups really). I feel like kefir blends in well.