Menu

Throw Away Phone?

Pamela H in Texas

I need a cheap phone that ideally doesn't have a monthly charge.  It will be for incoming calls only.  And maybe none of them.  But I have to try.  So I don't really want to throw it away, just keep it charged and available.  Even better if it can be forwarded to my phone.  But the people with access to the number need to not be able to know personal information.

Weird, huh?  I promise it is not for some criminal tv show :)

Do you need an actual "phone" or just a phone number? There might be ways to buy a number and have it forwarded without having a physical phone in the mix. (I don't know how to get either thing, I'm just trying to pinpoint your goal, so others can help better.)

• Like 1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LA7IH7U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

This is the phone that I have.  It gets triple minutes for life.  So if you buy a card with 60 minutes, it give you 180 minutes.   The minutes are "active" for 90 days, but if you keep it active by buying another card, then your minutes roll over.  So if you don't use any, then on day 89 you buy another 60 minutes (which triples to 180 minutes) card, you will have a total of 360 minutes.  Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

I second the Tracfone idea.  I've been very happy with my Tracfone account.  They now have a bring-your-own-phone program, so if you have an old dumb phone lying around, you could use that.  You really can't beat $7/month with no commitment beyond the $21-ish 90 day card.

I think all BYOP smart phones get triple minutes/texts/data.

• Like 1

If you have a smart phone, check Textfree (or a similar app) using a throw away e-mail. It will give you a phone number that will direct to your account and you can set it to a different ringtone than your regular phone. There's a small cost for voice calls, but I think you can buy a bunch of minutes up front as an in-app purchase.

• Like 1

I really like having a google voice number.  I give that out as our "home phone", and it goes straight to voice mail. I get an email when I have a message.  I give this number out to places that need a home phone number, but that I don't really want to be bothered by possible sales calls.  Yeah for no more credit card sales calls asking, "Would you like to have xyz new service we offer for the low low price of 2.99 per month" or whatever.   My DH has another google voice number he has forwarded to his phone for other purposes, and that works quite well also.  You can also get your google voice number forwarded to multiple phone numbers if you ever need that.

• Like 2

Another vote for Google Voice. My cousin owns an online business and has a customer service number that is a GV number. She doesn't want her personal number out there, so when they call that number, it forwards it to her personal cell phone.