Menu

Uterine Fibroid - looking at a hysterectomy

VeteranMom

It's doubled in size in the past 2 years and is now 10 cm x 9 cm x 7 cm.  It's pedunculated (outside the uterus).  My symptoms are bladder issues due to it sitting on my bladder and back discomfort here and there.  I'm 45 and done having kids- even though I look like I am about 4 months pregnant.  Anyone have any experiences they want to share about fibroids or hysterectomy?  I'd appreciate stories and tips.    

I had PCOS, endometriosis, fibroids....I was a physical mess.  I had surgery for one fibroid.  The second one my Dr encouraged me to get the hysterectomy.  I did it 2 years ago.  It was the best thing I ever did and I wish I had done it sooner.  Recovery forced me to relax and rely on others during the holidays, but it went quickly.  you really do have to keep yourself from overdoing it those weeks from week 8-16.  I felt better, but still couldn't overdo it.  But it was worth it.  So worth it. 

• Like 1

I had a hysterectomy for a large fibroid after we were long done with having kids.  The hysterectomy was the very best thing I could have done.  That was about twelve years ago and I've never once regretted it.  My only regret is that I put it off for too long--I should have done it years sooner than I did.  I read threads about all the wonky period related stuff that women approaching menopause go through, and I'm so happy I didn't have to deal with that!

• Like 1

Also a good experience with a hysterectomy, however, if you want to avoid surgery you could try to get a naturopath to prescribe you bio-identical Progesterone which is supposed to make fibroids shrink. They may have other tricks up their sleeves but this is one I remember my naturopath mentioned after I had the surgery and went to her for the first time.

• Like 1

I had a hysterectomy for 4 fibroids. The largest weighed just over a pound and had caused my bladder to fold in half and was causing my left ureter to stop draining properly. The one in my cervix caused some pain during one position during intercourse. I had the option of not having a hysterectomy and just having the fibroids removed, but at age 41 and 10 years since I had my last kid, and that one was adopted, I was done with my uterus. I had the robotic surgery. I'm thrilled with my results.  

The standard recovery time is 3 weeks with robotic surgery and 6 with the incision/c-section type surgery.  Apparently those guidelines apply to the younger set.  I'm very healthy and active but it was a full 6 weeks, not 3 to recover from my surgery.  It's nearly impossible to take it as easy as you should without going crazy.  

• Like 2

I had PCOS, endometriosis, fibroids....I was a physical mess.  I had surgery for one fibroid.  The second one my Dr encouraged me to get the hysterectomy.  I did it 2 years ago.  It was the best thing I ever did and I wish I had done it sooner.  Recovery forced me to relax and rely on others during the holidays, but it went quickly.  you really do have to keep yourself from overdoing it those weeks from week 8-16.  I felt better, but still couldn't overdo it.  But it was worth it.  So worth it. 

That's me- PCOS, the fibroid, endometriosis.  I have had a polyp and a uterine septum removed, too.  My uterus has served me well, but has been through an awful lot.

Thanks for the positive comments about your experience.

I had my hysterectomy in August, the abdominal version and kept my ovaries. I had several really large fibroids.I am so glad I did ! My periods had gotten to the point of being unmanageable because of them and I wish I'd done it long before now. I also had bladder issues since my uterus was at 20 weeks size and sitting on it and that has completely cleared up too. The recovery takes time and taking it easy is absolutely necessary. I was good and had no complications at all. At 8 weeks, everything had completely healed. I am still dealing with the 'swelly belly' but it's getting smaller all the time. Hystersisters  is a wonderful site, both for the forums and all the articles. 

I have a very large fibriod (I call it my little Buick) that right now I'm not doing anything about, because I don't like my options (absolutely no judgement on those who choose hysterectomy, I'm just really afraid of the bone loss and weight gain, which I already struggle with, so I'm not ready to pull the lever on that yet).  One new option that I'm investigating is MRI focus ultrasound.  It might be worth looking into before you make a final decision.  A lot of women are also very happy with the results of UAE (uterine artery embolism), so you might check that out, too.

:grouphug: :grouphug:  for whatever you decide.  It bugs the hell out of me that so many women suffer from this problem, yet there aren't really good options for dealing with it.

• Like 1

I have a very large fibriod (I call it my little Buick) that right now I'm not doing anything about, because I don't like my options (absolutely no judgement on those who choose hysterectomy, I'm just really afraid of the bone loss and weight gain, which I already struggle with, so I'm not ready to pull the lever on that yet).  One new option that I'm investigating is MRI focus ultrasound.  It might be worth looking into before you make a final decision.  A lot of women are also very happy with the results of UAE (uterine artery embolism), so you might check that out, too.

:grouphug: :grouphug:  for whatever you decide.  It bugs the hell out of me that so many women suffer from this problem, yet there aren't really good options for dealing with it.

Why would there be bone loss or weight gain following a hysterectomy?  I assume in most cases of hysterectomy due to fibroids the woman is keeping her ovaries.  And aren't they what control such things?  I can only speak anecdotally, but I lost some weight after my hysterectomy.  No doubt because I felt SO much better I started exercising a lot more.  I felt like doing more than sleeping all day (due to being so anemic).  And I had a DEXA scan a few years after my hysterectomy, and my bone density was a little better than average for a woman my age.

• Like 2