Menu

In-State Tuition for Veterans

Teachin'Mine

I was just researching this because it popped up in my Facebook feed. I think that the change encompases two things. Schools accepting GI Bill for tuition are required to charge no more than the in-state rate for students utilizing GI Bill benefits. Veterans and their dependents now have a 3 year window during which they can claim in state rates without having to meet time based residency requirements.

In other words, Sailor Timmy gets out of the Navy and can immediately claim residency where he lives for in-state rates (rather than having to live there for a year). Or Sailor Tammy can get out, move to Minnesota and claim residency there.

This is a good deal, because military members often carry a residency that doesn't match where they are stationed, where they leave the service or where they move after military service.

But it's a lot less than the headlines that said Vets and families would all be getting in-state rates. I think the speech wasn't very clear and the reporting seemed to all report the same shallow summary of the speech. If you go to the remarks at WhiteHouse.gov and search on the name of the bill that is referenced, you can find some factsheets from the VA.

• Like 3

Yeah, it's not a simple in-state tuition for military. We got a huge disappointment this year, as we had been told by the VA people at my daughter's university, where she attends on the GI Bill, that this year she would only be charged in-state tuition.  Well, as it turns out, they misunderstood the changes that were to take place. It was especially a drag because she had developed some expensive medical problems in the last year that Tricare providers weren't available to treat. Significant out of pocket costs for us, but we were hoping the GI Bill changes would make things balance out.

Sebastian thank you for clarifying.  I went to the Whitehouse site and this is the only info I could find:

• Announcing that all 50 states, Washington, DC and Puerto Rico are now providing recently transitioning Veterans and their dependents with in-state tuition rates at public institutions of higher learning.  This progress was brought about by a provision in the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act that the President signed into law last August;

Ah, after more searching found this link which explains better, but it's still a bit confusing.     http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/docs/factsheets/Section_702_Factsheet.pdf

Gr8lander sorry to hear that this doesn't apply to your daughter.  That must be especially difficult after having been told that she would get the in-state rate this year.  I wonder if the state you're in hasn't fully complied yet.

• Like 1

Sebastian thank you for clarifying.  I went to the Whitehouse site and this is the only info I could find:

• Announcing that all 50 states, Washington, DC and Puerto Rico are now providing recently transitioning Veterans and their dependents with in-state tuition rates at public institutions of higher learning.  This progress was brought about by a provision in the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act that the President signed into law last August;

Ah, after more searching found this link which explains better, but it's still a bit confusing.     http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/docs/factsheets/Section_702_Factsheet.pdf

Gr8lander sorry to hear that this doesn't apply to your daughter.  That must be especially difficult after having been told that she would get the in-state rate this year.  I wonder if the state you're in hasn't fully complied yet.

That looks like the same factsheet I was reading yesterday.

I'm glad that there is now a longer window for families to establish a home after transitioning.  It sounds like you might even be able to qualify for in-state in a couple different places until you reach the end of 3 years (like if you go "home" then go to another state to take a job).

I really dislike the reporting on this issue.  Back when the law was passed, it was widely reported as granting in-state rates to Veterans.  What wasn't widely reported was that it only applied to the GI Bill situation, not all Vets.

I don't know if this is just carelessness, laziness or an attempt to sway public opinion in favor of future legislation.  The fact that several different news reports read as identical (and identically insufficient enough as to convey an incorrect set of facts frustrates me).

• Like 1