Menu

finishing Pre-Algebra, now what?

llifeon18wheels

So I've checked out the post that lists out all the math curriculum options for Algebra and beyond. I've checked out Horizons, Teaching Textbooks, and Jousting Armadillos. I don't know anything about Foresters (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) or Jacobs or Dolciani. Pleas give me some guidance on where to start next.

My daughter started school with LifePac, then moved to Horizons in 3rd grade. Then we did Teaching Textbooks for the last 3 grades.She is 11.5 and finishing Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra at the end of the month. I wouldn't say that she's advanced but it seems that she is by her age. maybe just a little. She cried a lot before Pre-Algebra and that was troubling but this past year,she's been moving a a normal pace and it's encouraging.

Has anyone moved away fro TT for Algebra because they thought it wouldn't prepare them for the high school subjects? If you moved away, did you go back? I can go to marvel's locally but they don't have the last three brands that I listed for me to look thru.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Michelle

Some alternatives to moving on to algebra at this point in time:  (1) have her complete the chapter reviews of a standard prealgebra text to be sure her foundation is solid; (2) go through the entirety of a prealgebra text that is more challenging; (3) take some time to expose her to depth that she wouldn't have seen in her prior math courses - there are lots of choices for problem solving resources; (4) use TT Algebra 1 as a prealgebra and then complete a standard algebra text after TT Algebra 1.

Jacobs is a good text for younger algebra students because it starts off gently and includes a little humor.

• Like 3

Given she's younger (6th grade?) and that TT has a reputation for being weaker prep, I might consider a run through another pre-algebra. I'd want to make sure we were really solid before moving onto Algebra.

Maybe you could try Math Mammoth Pre-Algebra, allowing her to test out of anything she can complete without instruction? It's inexpensive to try, thorough prep, and should provide more challenge than TT.

• Like 4

Given she's younger (6th grade?) and that TT has a reputation for being weaker prep, I might consider a run through another pre-algebra. I'd want to make sure we were really solid before moving onto Algebra.

Maybe you could try Math Mammoth Pre-Algebra, allowing her to test out of anything she can complete without instruction? It's inexpensive to try, thorough prep, and should provide more challenge than TT.

Exactly what I was going to suggest!
  • Like 1