Menu

Kindle Fire for Kids

I've been thinking of getting a Kindle, like the Paperwhite, until I found out it has no audio. I was excited about the prospect of handing read alouds to DS and having him read along. Can't do that with no audio.

So I'm looking at the Fires. They have the kids version with the Freetime thingy, but I don't want to use this as a toy, but a tool. But it's also cheaper than getting the 8" regular Fire.

Is the Kids Fire able to work like a regular Fire or is it only kids all the time?

I want my kids to read books and listen to audiobooks and music. And I'd like to be to my own reading in the evenings if possible. I also like the idea of being able to watch YouTube videos with the kids and that a tablet would be good for, but that's not required (we use Chromecast with our phones for things like that atm).

So, regular Fire or Kids Fire? Or something different? Thanks!

Edit: xposted to chat

I don't know about the Kid specific Fire, but I do like the Kindle Fire for our kids.  It has become a gaming device, though.  YOU can control what content is on there in regular freetime (although I am not sure this is the case if you subscribe to their Freetime).  So, if you want it just for certain things, only put those things on there.  It has built in time limits (that you control) internet access (which you can easily block).

FWIW, my older Kindle Fire is perfect for controlling content for the kids, my newer one isn't as perfect for that, but perhaps I am missing something and I could move where the password is needed.  For now, I need it to exit their freetime but to also get onto the device, so I always have to enter it and they can't get on without the code.  On the older one, it is just to get out of their freetime, so they can use and stop using it at will. 

We LOVE our Kindle Fire!!  There are different kinds.  We have a bit older one, the HDX7.  I got it on ebay.  Now they have newer models.  I think the kid fire thing they do is just an added case and a FreeTime subscription.  If that interests you, fine.  My ds is dyslexic, so we do TONS of audiobooks and hope to do immersion reading later, when he's ready.  The parental controls on the kindle are terrific.  It's easy for me to turn on and off the apps, password lock access to wifi, etc., so I can totally control what he can do with it.  You can lock down the camera, anything.  

The kindle fire isn't an ipad, but for the small amount you pay, it's a LOT of machine!  It can surf, do email, make slideshows with images.  Not as many apps as for other devices, but adequate.  Relatively durable if you put it in a case.  I mean, it has survived my ds, lol.  Well that's not true, he dropped his first one in the bathtub, sigh.  But so far the new one is surviving him.  He gave me a fright because he threw it down so hard the thing reset.  Oy!  But still it's working.  Holds a charge like nobody's business.  He can literally listen to it ALL DAY and it's still going at bedtime.  

Little note.  If you want to listen to audio, pick the model with the best speakers.  Like some of the models have one speaker, and some have two speaker surround sound or something.  Just look at amazon's comparison charts.  I'm just saying ours has the more speakers more better thing, and the sound is more than adequate, very satisfactory for audiobooks.  Also, my two cents is go biggest memory you can afford.  There's nothing more annoying than having to delete to have room for stuff.  I think there's also a difference in thicknesses of the models.  

This is pathetic, but I've got his kindle in a $10 fintie case from ebay.  Works fine.  It is now about worn out, so I'll probably replace for Christmas.  If I had bought him a *waterproof* case, that might have been smart.  I wanted one with a cover, because a lot of times he turns the unit on then plays while he listens.  So for him, having the cover is safer.  And when you go with that smaller size kindle (7", whatever), it's small enough that they can just carry it around with them all day.  

• Like 1

This was VERY helpful! My dd is also an audiobook junkie. Currently she's carrying around my iPad everywhere with her ALL day. I think she would really enjoy and benefit from the immersion reading, but that is not available on iPad. I think the Fire would be perfect for her. Thanks!

We LOVE our Kindle Fire!!  There are different kinds.  We have a bit older one, the HDX7.  I got it on ebay.  Now they have newer models.  I think the kid fire thing they do is just an added case and a FreeTime subscription.  If that interests you, fine.  My ds is dyslexic, so we do TONS of audiobooks and hope to do immersion reading later, when he's ready.  The parental controls on the kindle are terrific.  It's easy for me to turn on and off the apps, password lock access to wifi, etc., so I can totally control what he can do with it.  You can lock down the camera, anything.  

The kindle fire isn't an ipad, but for the small amount you pay, it's a LOT of machine!  It can surf, do email, make slideshows with images.  Not as many apps as for other devices, but adequate.  Relatively durable if you put it in a case.  I mean, it has survived my ds, lol.  Well that's not true, he dropped his first one in the bathtub, sigh.  But so far the new one is surviving him.  He gave me a fright because he threw it down so hard the thing reset.  Oy!  But still it's working.  Holds a charge like nobody's business.  He can literally listen to it ALL DAY and it's still going at bedtime.  

Little note.  If you want to listen to audio, pick the model with the best speakers.  Like some of the models have one speaker, and some have two speaker surround sound or something.  Just look at amazon's comparison charts.  I'm just saying ours has the more speakers more better thing, and the sound is more than adequate, very satisfactory for audiobooks.  Also, my two cents is go biggest memory you can afford.  There's nothing more annoying than having to delete to have room for stuff.  I think there's also a difference in thicknesses of the models.  

This is pathetic, but I've got his kindle in a $10 fintie case from ebay.  Works fine.  It is now about worn out, so I'll probably replace for Christmas.  If I had bought him a *waterproof* case, that might have been smart.  I wanted one with a cover, because a lot of times he turns the unit on then plays while he listens.  So for him, having the cover is safer.  And when you go with that smaller size kindle (7", whatever), it's small enough that they can just carry it around with them all day.  

• Like 1

My son has the Kindle Fire for kids. It is nearly the same as his older HDX Fire that he broke. You can set up a child's profile with time limits and such, or not. The one HUGE disadvantage to any Fire is that the kid's profile doesn't allow audiobooks. Seriously - no audiobooks. So the whole benefit of being able to set time limits and black-out periods is lost if your kid wants to use the kindle for that. I just have my son use the default profile and have tight restrictions via the parental controls. So even though I can't set time limits, I can keep it from connecting to the web, prevent him from making purchases, etc. It's password protected so he can't use it without my  knowledge.

Even though the Fire comes with a trial of FreeTime (I think a year?) I cancelled that. The content is really young and full of junk. I'm pretty careful about the content I put on the Fire - I don't want it to be a primarily gaming device. I fill it with books, audiobooks, and a few educational apps like Spelling City and some math fact games.

• Like 4

Funny, this thread is much more positive than the one I x-posted to the chat board.

After reading everything and talking with DH, we're gonna pass this year. I might dig out my very old ipod touch and see if I can get those apps working, since it's mostly unsupported now.

Thanks for the comments!

Do reconsider.  At that price ($40?? WOWOWOWOWOWO), it's just an amazing steal.  You don't need the for kids version.  If only a dc is using it, set it up as a normal adult device and turn on parental controls.  I exercise EXTREME control in our house.  Ds has ASD and all sorts of learning disabilities and is gifted.  The kindle fire is such a FABULOUS tool for him.  The battery lasts for days, even when used constantly for audiobooks.  It's relatively durable.  It's got a pleasantly sized screen (unlike your ipod touch), and at $40 you can afford to buy one for both the 6 and 4 yos so they don't fight over them!  Put in earbuds, and it's the perfect thing for the car. In parental controls, you'll be able to turn off access to wifi, buying things in stores, apps, the camera, anything you want.  I leave my ds' unit like that most the time and only turn on apps when I want them on.  That way he basically just uses it for audiobooks (constantly!) and alarms.

You just won't believe how much use you'll get out of it if you get it.  At $40 it's an absolute steal.  

I'm rereading your original post.  Your problem is your vision is too small.  Get one for each dc (6 and 4) and then get yourself a paperwhite.  

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well we did go ahead and buy a Fire on sale, for the holiday (shhhh).  Someone please talk to me again, though, about the parental controls and how to keep it almost totally locked down.  Or do you need something like Qustodio to make it really secure?

Oh Elizabeth, can you talk about alarms?  We have an issue with keeping on track, etc. and an alarm or reminder feature would be excellent.  Although I'm not sure I want to trust it being locked down enough to keep in his room.  What kind of alarms are there and how can you use them for a forgetful child?

To lock things down you use the parental controls and a password.  I am not sure about the new ones - my old one is perfect, my newer one is harder to lock down completely.  

My old one they are stuck in their freetime (and it can shut off after a specified time and at certain times).  My new one their freetime will stop after they have used it the allotted time(and you can put time of day limits on it too), but they can switch over to the other kids' freetimes.  

I don't *think* they can get onto mine (I mean full access on the device), but it only takes a 4-digit numeric code, and I think they may be able to get around it somehow if the device shuts down and back on again (but maybe not?).

But anyways, pick a special secret pin for you, go into the swipe down menu at the top and go into settings, then parental controls.  You can restrict content types and purchasing, etc.  In mine, this is where I manage the child's profile, but if you haven't set one up yet you may need to find the freetime app and go in there and set up their profile.  You choose time limits, available hours, and available apps.

ETA:  I advise getting yourself an app killer app - I had problems with some of the free apps running even after I had backed out of them properly, and it would slow down my kindle.  Now I just kill things that I know will stay on and it runs great.  The app killer app is free.

Edited by Incognito