Menu

Sexism with complaints?

Katy

Totally. And he was called out on it, as all rightly should be. Because it's ridiculous.

Google 'move over shakespeare and language innovation' or something like that.

ETA--here it is. Women move language trends foward.

That is awesome -- thank you!  Love this bit:

"The role that young women play as language disruptors is so well-established at this point it’s practically boring to sociolinguists. The founder of modern sociolinguistics, William Labov, observed that women lead 90% of linguistic change—in a paper he wrote 25 years ago. Researchers continue to confirm his findings.

It takes about a generation for the language patterns started among young women to jump over to men. Uptalk, for example, which is associated with Valley Girls in the 1970s, is found among young men today. In other words, women learn language from their peers; men learn it from their mothers."
  • Like 4

Except perhaps the tenors themselves.

Well, sure they do. The altos and bass/baritones just tune (HA!) them out, though. The sopranos are too high in the stratosphere to even deign to notice them...or anyone else.

(I hope you read all this in the joking manner in which it's meant. We singers always enjoy a wee spot of inter-section teasing.)

• Like 3

I used to have a colleague who sent every single email as "urgent."  After a while I got sick of it and called him on it.  Apparently he thought "urgent" meant "this requires action at some point."  Same guy used to have an immediate answer or comment to everything, especially in interactions with the bosses.  Turns out 90% of what he said was pure BS, but they didn't know that until later.

That guy was so worthless, he never brought in enough revenue to pay his own salary.  (In that job, you were supposed to bring in about 10x your salary.)  I had his number from day one, but it took the company 5 years to fire him.  Yeah, that bugged me.

He came across as so confident all the time.  They almost made him my boss.  Lord, that would have been a big mistake.  :P

• Like 1

General. 

Today's situation was with a service company we employ.  We've nearly fired them several times before, and they screwed up again, and DH had enough.  But he was in meetings most of the day so I was the one on the phone.  We ended up firing them anyway, but their attitude about the problem was worlds different the second DH got involved. They didn't respond to my voicemail, he left one in between meetings and all of the sudden their attitude changed. This is not the first time I've noticed this.  If I'm not careful I'll become one of those spineless women who has DH deal with all confrontation, simply because his results are better than mine. 

I only get the sort of response he does when I mention "lawyer" or "Better Business Bureau."

Geesh.  Well that is frustrating.  My husband complains to me that his complaints go largely ignored at work.  I don't tend to have trouble with people responding to my complaints.  Maybe you need to be meaner.  Hehe...

• Like 1

I am good at complaining. I tend to have even greater effect over the phone. In person, people describe me as "cute" and "smiley." I speak calmly, I state facts, I state the problem I want fixed, and I am very patient.

One time I spoke to my sister's utility company, told them their policies were unacceptable, and explained the specifics of the exception they were going to make so that my sister could get her water turned on right away without missing any more work. They agreed to my plan. When my sister arrived, she said they seemed genuinely scared that I was going to come into the office if they didn't do things the way I requested.

• Like 1