Menu

Any advice on dealing with an 8 year old who whines and complains when competing?

My ds (just turned 8) whines and complains like a weenie when he plays sports or other competitive games with his friends. He does fine in Karate, but every other competitive sport brings out his negativity if things don't go his way. His Dad and I try hard to break this annoying behavior of his, but we cannot seem to get him to understand. I am afraid if he keeps this up he won't have any friends. Does anyone have any advice?

As long as he is thriving in martial arts I would limit sports to that for now.

Watch some movies together that exemplify good sportsmanship, and talk about it. Then, if he wants to, ease into some competitive games and sports. Some are gentler than others.

Eight years old is still pretty young. I bet you'll be surprised where he will be in a year or two. I would recommend avoiding competitive situations for a year or so.

Well, our family doesn't get involved in competitive sports so I guess I feel for the child a bit. If he is just not interested or not having fun instead of being a poor sport, then why make him do it? Either way he is rather young and perhaps he will be better prepared for sports later??

We do not do too many sports, but when my boys were young they tried soccer and they would whine every time they lost or could not get enough playing time. I decided to wait until they were older to try again. My boys played basketball year before last and did fine with it. I think age plays a big factor. If your son is not understanding the competitive nature I would wait until later, especially since he does karate.