Menu

I'm looking for reviews of VideoText math. Has anyone used Algebra, Geometry, or both? Can you tell me about your experience?

I'd also welcome being pointed to threads where this has been discussed in the past, especially recent threads - I've found some very old ones, but not much recently.

TIA!

We've used both the Algebra and Geometry programs over the last 2 years with my oldest DS and are continuing with my 2nd DS starting Algebra this year. 2nd DS (average math student) will likely take 3 years to complete all of what older DS (motivated and accelerated student who loves math) did in 2 years. We love this program! I plan to use it for all my kids at this point and I highly recommend it!

Pros:

• Tom Clark is an awesome teacher and very good at getting the concepts behind the math across to the students. After being through the program with them I feel like *I* finally understand math, not just "plug and chug" in a formulaic response like I did all the way through calculus. :)
  • Geometry is proof-heavy and I think it really developed my oldest DS's logical reasoning skills.
  • Not tons of practice problems every lesson. Some might consider this a con, but for us it's a pro. I have them do the odds for every assignment. If they get less than a B, we review the lesson and they have to do the evens the next day. If they get an A or a B, we move on to the next lesson. Same thing for the periodic quizzes and the unit tests. If they pass the Quiz/Test A with an A or B, we move on. If they get less than a B they review and do Quiz/Test B the next day. It works out to be plenty of practice for us without overwhelming them with a ton of problems to do each day.

Cons:

• I was counting on Geometry to fulfill our trig/pre-calc needs but those modules still aren't done and so now we have to pick a new pre-calc for oldest DS. Tom Clark did make some of the partially finished trig videos available to me when I asked, but the text he recommends to use along with them until Video Text is complete was not acceptable to me. (He recommended Trig for Dummies :( He said it's an unfortunate title but actually pretty good problem sets. Whatever ... there's no way I'm putting that in a course description.)  If you choose to use Video Text Geometry, just be aware of that and don't count on it for anything beyond a 1 year Geometry course.

If you have any other specific questions, I'd be glad to help. :)

• Like 2

Thank you! I'm on the search for a geometry program, so that's primarily what I was looking at, but once I started looking the whole program appealed to me. I really like the emphasis on conceptual understanding, teaching to mastery, the non-traditional organization so that all parts of a topic are presented together.  And of all the video samples I've watched so far, I like these the best.

I think we could use this for Geometry, no problem - I'd be fine with it just being a 1-year geometry credit.

I am wondering about whether/how we could use the Algebra. Did your kids start with this at the beginning of their PreA path?  That would make a lot of sense. But my dd has already spent almost two years on Pre Algebra and Algebra, so I know she would balk at starting at the very beginning, despite Clark's suggestion that students should do so.  Do you have an opinion about how it would work with a student who already has covered the early material? Would it be possible to do the unit tests and only cover the holes, or is it essential that you do each and every lesson?  Any opinions you might have along those lines would be really helpful to hear.

My kids both started it in 8th grade, so they'd had pre-algebra already but I kind of liked that the first module was very simple and basic and easy so they "eased into"  high school level work a bit. They pretty much flew through the first module with no problems.

I'd maybe consider having your DD watch all the videos to make sure all the concepts were clear and there are no holes in her conceptual understanding, but maybe just do the unit tests as far as problems to do to figure out exactly where to place her. The videos are mostly short. In Geometry I think there were a few 15-18 minute ones, but in Algebra they're usually under 15 minutes, some of the early ones are even shorter than 10 minutes each.

HTH!

• Like 1

Cons:

• I was counting on Geometry to fulfill our trig/pre-calc needs but those modules still aren't done and so now we have to pick a new pre-calc for oldest DS. Tom Clark did make some of the partially finished trig videos available to me when I asked, but the text he recommends to use along with them until Video Text is complete was not acceptable to me. (He recommended Trig for Dummies :( He said it's an unfortunate title but actually pretty good problem sets. Whatever ... there's no way I'm putting that in a course description.)  If you choose to use Video Text Geometry, just be aware of that and don't count on it for anything beyond a 1 year Geometry course.

The typical Geometry class is one year and covers Right Triangle Trig:

http://www.derekowens.com/course_info_geometry.php

http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/courses/mathematics/geometry.html

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/math/videotext-geometry.htm (older)

so Videotext seems to cover this just fine.

========================================

from Videotext website which is probably why the CON

"  

CLAIMED CREDITS:

With the completion of Geometry: A Complete Course, the student can also claim credits for:

Geometry

Trigonometry

Pre-Calculus

"

This is a big claim!!!

Some of the Dummies books are good but NEVER admit to actually using them :)

• Like 3

"  

CLAIMED CREDITS:

With the completion of Geometry: A Complete Course, the student can also claim credits for:

Geometry

Trigonometry

Pre-Calculus

"

This is a big claim!!!

Yes, it seems like it covers what is needed for a Geometry credit, no problem, which is all I really need from it.  I was also a little incredulous at the Claimed Credits for this, and for the Algebra, too.  In one past thread, someone mathy who I respect (can't remember who now) said that it looked like a very rigorous/solid Algebra 1 but perhaps a light Algebra 2.  I wasn't sure how you got PreCalculus out of it. But the higher up we go in math, the less I'm sure about what is necessary to include to claim credit for a particular high school class. And that seems to be in a bit of flux, too, with CC changing what is typically covered in Algebra 1, for example.

I'd love to hear more reviews if anyone else out there has used Videotext, for either Algebra or Geometry. 

I actually had someone give me the Geometry portion.    I had used another curr. for  Alg, etc. I emailed the company with a couple of questions about the Geometry & scope and seq. and they actually recommended to me that for us ( please note, us!) we use something else for geometry.   From what I remember (this was 2 1/2 years ago at least when I emailed) that Video Text was meant to use all of it and that for the entire program to work as planned, to use it all.     Like I said, it's been two years since this came up with me.  In the end, I decided to stick with another math. I really wanted to try it since it had been gifted to me, but in the end I ending up giving it to someone who used the program but had it on VCR tapes and she was thrilled with the dvd's for free.

• Like 1

"  

CLAIMED CREDITS:

Geometry

Trigonometry

Pre-Calculus

"

This is a big claim!!!

Yes, I've since been advised by people on this board that DS should still take pre-calc to solidify all this and that is our plan. :) But I do feel Video Text gives very good conceptual coverage of Alg I & II & Geometry.

From what I remember (this was 2 1/2 years ago at least when I emailed) that Video Text was meant to use all of it and that for the entire program to work as planned, to use it all.

I can see where this would be important since Video Text does seem to cover things in a different order than other courses.

The algebra really should be used together. You have NOT covered everything in a standard algebra 1 class if you cover the first half of the VT modules. I actually really like their scope and sequence and agree with the rationale, BUT it's nonstandard. It's like hopping in and out of MUS.

Even if they finish the trig modules, I would find it a bit problematic to grant a full credit for trigonometry AND precalculus. Trigonometry is currently a standard part of precalculus. Pick one or the other.

• Like 3

Kiana, thanks for weighing in! I respect your opinion highly.  I also really, really like the scope & sequence and I think it makes a lot of sense. My trouble is whether to make my student, who is more than halfway through Algebra 1, go back and start at the beginning. I think she will balk at that.  But *I* want to do it from the beginning, because I get the sense that it would explain the whys I have always yearned to understand.

If we do use it for geometry, I wouldn't expect to give more than Geometry credit for the modules that currently exist.  That would make sense for us, we wouldn't be backtracking extremely to do the whole Geometry course.

I've read all their materials and I really love the idea.  But it's super pricey, so I'm really trying to dig deep for reviews, experience, etc.

Ok, wait a minute - looking at the scope & sequence for geometry, it doesn't look like it includes 3-dimensional figures at all.  Isn't volume & surface area of 3-D figures a standard part of high school Geometry? Seems like I see volume & surface area questions on standardized test samples for sure . . . 

We used the whole program for our oldest ( we did use the dummies book:). After that our DS completed VT , he took Derek Owens AP calc. He did well, but would have benefitted from more trig...or maybe we should have used some Kahn academy with the Dummies book. He was a math student that disliked lots of repitition.

Our daughter did VT Algebra for a year , and we switched out and repeated Algebra 1 with Saxon. My husband (our math teacher) loves VT program. It was not a fit for her, she needs lots of repition. She does remember and use some of what she learned.

Good luck with your decision. It is hard to switch, maybe you could take pretests for placement if you go this route. They have the best costomer service., and Tom will probsbly talk to you if you call.

• Like 2

Kiana, thanks for weighing in! I respect your opinion highly.  I also really, really like the scope & sequence and I think it makes a lot of sense. My trouble is whether to make my student, who is more than halfway through Algebra 1, go back and start at the beginning. I think she will balk at that.  But *I* want to do it from the beginning, because I get the sense that it would explain the whys I have always yearned to understand.

If we do use it for geometry, I wouldn't expect to give more than Geometry credit for the modules that currently exist.  That would make sense for us, we wouldn't be backtracking extremely to do the whole Geometry course.

I've read all their materials and I really love the idea.  But it's super pricey, so I'm really trying to dig deep for reviews, experience, etc.

How does TabletClass compare?

Every summer they have 1/2 off  $50 for the whole year / course.

http://www.tabletclass.com/courses/geometry.aspx

here is a sample video:

<

Instructor is an OK presenter IMHO by YMMV

• Like 1

You could use Kahn academy or other free/cheap sources to do the Solid Geometry stuff if needed in the summer following. 

2007 Holt Geometry has a chapter on Solid Geometry - may still have the free online videos available - buy now and try to save them off if possible.

Jann in TX would know.

Every summer they have 1/2 off $50 for the whole year / course.

I would love to know this as well. Thinking ahead to prealgebra possibly using tablet class...but I would like to make a prealgebra decision based on whether we use VT or TC for algebra sequence... I would love to know how they compare!

The Scope & Sequence looks really good, but the videos are long and kind of dull, IMO.  My dd has confessed that she has a hard time keeping her attention focused while sitting through a long video. This is why she absolutely loved the Schoolyourself.org/EdX interactive video lessons. The lessons were short and they required frequent interaction - you need to solve a problem and input the answer, or ask for an explanation/review, frequently. It keeps you focused.  She really wants to just use that for teaching, but something else for the extra practice she needs to cement the concepts.  I'm intimidated by winging it for Geometry, though, because dd and I tend to make the same mistakes, so if she gets something wrong and doesn't understand why, I'm not confident I can explain it. I also am nervous about creating tests, grading proofs, etc.  So *I* want a program, but I don't think there is any point in getting something with a boring/dull presentation that she won't learn well from.  I liked the VideoText videos better than the TabletClass videos. 

Sigh.  It's hard to pick the right thing for your kid, and the plethora of choices doesn't exactly make that simple!

We used Videotext Algebra for our oldest three, and I loved it.  I was re-learning Algebra myself so I did everything with them.  It gave us a very solid understanding of Algebra.  We didn't do Pre-Algebra first.  We just jumped right into Videotext and really took it slowly.  We took over two years to complete it, but then for us, it counted as Pre-Algebra, Algebra I and Algebra II.  I didn't feel we needed a specific Pre-Algebra course before it because I felt my kids had a good handle on basic math.

If I remember correctly, he encourages you to just do odd numbers in the lessons, and then the first quiz in each lesson.  If your students are struggling or just need a little more reinforcement, then you go back and do the even numbers and the second quiz.  We ended up doing that a lot.  There were also multiple reviews -- chapter reviews, unit reviews, etc., and we did all of them.  As I said, this was their first exposure to Algebra and we took it very slowly.  If your student has already had some Algebra, you would probably just need to do the odd numbers in the lessons and could maybe breeze through parts of it much more quickly than we did.

Unfortunately, we didn't use the program for our younger two because of major life events and our need to use a more independent Algebra curriculum.  I wish we could have, though. 

We didn't use their Geometry.  I believe the curriculum was not quite out yet.

• Like 1

The Scope & Sequence looks really good, but the videos are long and kind of dull, IMO.  My dd has confessed that she has a hard time keeping her attention focused while sitting through a long video. This is why she absolutely loved the Schoolyourself.org/EdX interactive video lessons. The lessons were short and they required frequent interaction - you need to solve a problem and input the answer, or ask for an explanation/review, frequently. It keeps you focused.  She really wants to just use that for teaching, but something else for the extra practice she needs to cement the concepts.  I'm intimidated by winging it for Geometry, though, because dd and I tend to make the same mistakes, so if she gets something wrong and doesn't understand why, I'm not confident I can explain it. I also am nervous about creating tests, grading proofs, etc.  So *I* want a program, but I don't think there is any point in getting something with a boring/dull presentation that she won't learn well from.  I liked the VideoText videos better than the TabletClass videos. 

Sigh.  It's hard to pick the right thing for your kid, and the plethora of choices doesn't exactly make that simple!

here is a Holt Geometry video for comparison:  (same / similar to Thinkwell)

<

• Like 1

MarkT, thanks.

1) He is definitely a more dynamic speaker!  Are these youtube videos? Or is this something you'd need to purchase? 

2) I assume you'd need to buy textbook, tms, etc. to go with this, it's not a full online course?

1)

My son's B+M school used Holt 2007 Algebra 2 last year (2014-15) and we had no issues still freely accessing the videos through the HRW website code in the text but since Holt was bought out by Houghton Mifflin now they may rescind that location to encourage schools to purchase newer stuff.  Holt McDougal is the new name but text books are pretty similar but of course more expensive.

I did find that sample on Youtube.

2)  Yes you need the textbook the videos are not complete - you need problems, tests etc.  

Try to PM or contact Jann in TX she knows more about Holt Geometry.

see also

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/542418-homeschooling-high-school-math/?do=findComment&comment=6191107

the HRW site listed is still active - just checked

also cheap supplement available:

<http://www.amazon.com/Holt-Geometry-RINEHART-WINSTON-HOLT/dp/0030780926/ref=pd_rhf_eeolp_s_cp_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=00QVBNR3C787RSJXPJN5>

• Like 1

The Scope & Sequence looks really good, but the videos are long and kind of dull, IMO.  My dd has confessed that she has a hard time keeping her attention focused while sitting through a long video. This is why she absolutely loved the Schoolyourself.org/EdX interactive video lessons. 

Did you use this already?

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-geometry-schoolyourself-geometryx

"

GeometryX covers a standard curriculum in high school geometry, and CCSS (common core) alignment is indicated where applicable.

"

Maybe just supplement what it does not cover with other sources to get full  HS Geometry class.

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-algebra-schoolyourself-algebrax

"

In this course, you'll be able to choose your own path within each lesson, and you can jump between lessons to quickly review earlier material. AlgebraX covers a standard curriculum in high school Algebra I, and CCSS (common core) alignment is indicated where applicable.

"

• Like 2

Yes, we've done both the EdX Algebra and Geometry classes.  We loved them, they were fantastic introductions and the interactive teaching videos are just excellent. However, I can't see giving high school credit just for working through the classes. We did Algebra 1 in 10 weeks, less than an hour a day, and Geometry in 14 weeks. DD flew through it with 100%, a certificate, and the whole works, but that doesn't mean she's done with either one. There just isn't enough practice to really learn and retain the concepts.  She's working through Algebra 1 now, and I want her to work through Geometry when she finishes that.

While I absolutely love these materials, and recommend them to everyone as a supplement, or as a Pre-Algebra/Pre-Geometry before high school, I think it's irresponsible for the providers to try and sell these as full-credit courses high school courses. I can't imagine that a kid would retain, remember and be able to apply the concepts to problem solving after completing this class. The computation is taught very well, but there are virtually no word problems or application problems.  You would definitely want to supplement these. Which we are for Algebra, I'm now trying to figure out how we'll do the same for Geometry, because dd will finish her 2nd pass through Alg 1 some time this winter.

• Like 2

Yes, we've done both the EdX Algebra and Geometry classes.  We loved them, they were fantastic introductions and the interactive teaching videos are just excellent. However, I can't see giving high school credit just for working through the classes. We did Algebra 1 in 10 weeks, less than an hour a day, and Geometry in 14 weeks. DD flew through it with 100%, a certificate, and the whole works, but that doesn't mean she's done with either one. There just isn't enough practice to really learn and retain the concepts.  She's working through Algebra 1 now, and I want her to work through Geometry when she finishes that.

While I absolutely love these materials, and recommend them to everyone as a supplement, or as a Pre-Algebra/Pre-Geometry before high school, I think it's irresponsible for the providers to try and sell these as full-credit courses high school courses. I can't imagine that a kid would retain, remember and be able to apply the concepts to problem solving after completing this class. The computation is taught very well, but there are virtually no word problems or application problems.  You would definitely want to supplement these. Which we are for Algebra, I'm now trying to figure out how we'll do the same for Geometry, because dd will finish her 2nd pass through Alg 1 some time this winter.

Could you map what topics they covered versus Derek Owen or JHU-CTY does ?  Maybe you have a half a course.

If you have complete list of topics covered for each it would be worth while to post them in the Pinned HS Math thread.  From their description it appears to be complete.

Make two posts there -  EdX Algebra 1 and EdX Geometry.

thanks

• Like 2

tangenting even more for your Algebra 1 needs:

Also look at AoPS

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/store/item/intro-algebra

free videos to go with book through CH 13 - quite an engaging presenter 

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/videos/algebra1

( I used it as a supplemental text -  B&M charter school used Saxon)

basically through Chapter 13 gives you a solid Algebra 1 but you should do some Probability and Stats topics to have an equivalent PS course.

Have her try a NYS Common Core Algebra 1 Regents exam at the end (old exams online for free)

• Like 1

Ok, wait a minute - looking at the scope & sequence for geometry, it doesn't look like it includes 3-dimensional figures at all.  Isn't volume & surface area of 3-D figures a standard part of high school Geometry? Seems like I see volume & surface area questions on standardized test samples for sure . . . 

It includes these topics in Module A. I think the unit is just called "measurement" but it covers surface area and volume of 3D figures pretty thoroughly.

• Like 1

It includes these topics in Module A. I think the unit is just called "measurement" but it covers surface area and volume of 3D figures pretty thoroughly.

Oh, thank you! I didn't realized it covered the 3D figures in that section too.  Yep, I see them listed under Measurement - I was looking for it later in the Scope & Sequence.  Thanks for confirming that it covers volume and surface area under measurement.  You have been very helpful!  I'm super tempted by VideoText, for sure.  I keep telling myself it's pricey, but it's way less than a year-long class with a live teacher.  

• Like 1

Could you map what topics they covered versus Derek Owen or JHU-CTY does ?  Maybe you have a half a course.

If you have complete list of topics covered for each it would be worth while to post them in the Pinned HS Math thread.  From their description it appears to be complete.

Make two posts there -  EdX Algebra 1 and EdX Geometry.

thanks

It is complete, in that it covers all of the standard topics.  But it's not stand alone, in that it doesn't have enough practice problems, nor does it have quizzes, tests, worked out solutions, etc. There is no textbook, either hard copy or online.  It's just the interactive video lessons, and then the Review, which is a single very short problem set that you do, then you "pass" the topic and move on.

Does that make sense? It would be like watching the video lessons in one of those other programs, and maybe working the example problems right after the video, and going, "Oh, yeah, I got this!"  But not doing any homework, or having unit tests, midterms, or finals.  You get the illusion that you have learned the material, but it's in your short-term memory, you don't practice or work with it enough to consolidate it into long term memory.  Again, the teaching is awesome, but it's not a complete course, IMO, which is why I hesitate to add it to the pinned thread as such.  It is listed at the very bottom of each thread - the Algebra thread and the Geometry thread - down at the bottom under "Miscellaneous Online Courses/Supplements" - there is a link to the Schoolyourself.org website.    But like I said, I'm hesitant to add the AlgebraX and GeometryX EdX courses to the pinned thread as if they were full courses like the other posted material.  It was my sense the quark just wanted full courses listed there, but maybe I'm wrong. I guess I could check with her about it.

• Like 1

tangenting even more for your Algebra 1 needs:

Also look at AoPS

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/store/item/intro-algebra

free videos to go with book through CH 13 - quite an engaging presenter 

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/videos/algebra1

( I used it as a supplemental text -  B&M charter school used Saxon)

basically through Chapter 13 gives you a solid Algebra 1 but you should do some Probability and Stats topics to have an equivalent PS course.

Have her try a NYS Common Core Algebra 1 Regents exam at the end (old exams online for free)

Thanks for the tangents!  I have the AoPS book, and we do use Alcumus and RR's videos, which we like. But the style of the books didn't quite work for dd.  She's doing her "2nd pass" through Algebra (after the EdX course) using the Arbor Math books (Crocodiles & Coconuts and Chuckles the Rocket Dog), after having used Jousting Armadillos for PreA and really loved those books.  They are a little bit gentler version of the discovery method, with a super engaging, conversational style that has allowed her to be fairly self-teaching with Algebra.  AoPS wouldn't have been possible for her to use in this way.

I was planning to do the DOMA math assessment and some Algebra tests from other sources at the end of the year. Using the Regents exam would be good too.  And they have them for Geometry, yay! I was thinking I needed some kind of comprehensive end-of-year assessment for geometry if we don't end up going with an online class. This could be perfect, thanks!

It is complete, in that it covers all of the standard topics.  But it's not stand alone, in that it doesn't have enough practice problems, nor does it have quizzes, tests, worked out solutions, etc. There is no textbook, either hard copy or online.  It's just the interactive video lessons, and then the Review, which is a single very short problem set that you do, then you "pass" the topic and move on.

Does that make sense? It would be like watching the video lessons in one of those other programs, and maybe working the example problems right after the video, and going, "Oh, yeah, I got this!"  But not doing any homework, or having unit tests, midterms, or finals.  You get the illusion that you have learned the material, but it's in your short-term memory, you don't practice or work with it enough to consolidate it into long term memory.  Again, the teaching is awesome, but it's not a complete course, IMO, which is why I hesitate to add it to the pinned thread as such.  It is listed at the very bottom of each thread - the Algebra thread and the Geometry thread - down at the bottom under "Miscellaneous Online Courses/Supplements" - there is a link to the Schoolyourself.org website.    But like I said, I'm hesitant to add the AlgebraX and GeometryX EdX courses to the pinned thread as if they were full courses like the other posted material.  It was my sense the quark just wanted full courses listed there, but maybe I'm wrong. I guess I could check with her about it.

Could you quote that pinned post and add the Edx links with your plus and minus comments. All programs have their strengths and weaknesses the forum is for information exchange and opinions so we can do less research on our own.

thanks

• Like 1

Could you quote that pinned post and add the Edx links with your plus and minus comments. All programs have their strengths and weaknesses the forum is for information exchange and opinions so we can do less research on our own.

thanks

I take your point but . . . I have no idea how to paste a hyperlink or whatever, in order to correctly format the info in the way quark has requested.  Are there instructions about how to do that somewhere?  It can't be that hard, but I've never figured out how to do it.