Menu

What's with the ads?

Yesterday we were reviewing the British Isles for geography.  My DS (age 13!) was shocked to find out that the Beatles were BRITISH.  This kid KNOWS Beatles stuff.  His name is JUDE.

(But I did feel slightly redeemed when my younger son was righteously indignant to read that Big Ben is in London.  "He's from PITTSBURGH!", he said.  That's my Steelers fan…)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My 10yo came in after a break one afternoon last week, "Mom! A guy who is not our mailman just gave me candy!" Me (perhaps a little stridently) "Whaa?!?"

Turns out there was a substitute delivery person on the route, who said something she didn't understand and then tossed her some m&ms. I went ahead and reviewed the basics with everyone. Sheesh. Still feel a mini adrenaline surge just thinking about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"Mom, what state is Texas in?"

"Texas is a state."

"Then what is Dallas?"

...There is now a huge map in our homeschool room.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

If it makes you feel better it's definitely not just hs'ers! I'm originally from England and if I had a penny for every time an adult asked me if they celebrated Christmas/Thanksgiving/4th of July in England I'd be rich! 

I would have assumed that those asking about Thanksgiving/4th of July would have been pulling my chain but when I would reply to the negative with a smile they'd all seriously ask me why. 🤔 Even as a child I'd have to ask leading questions like "What is celebrated on xyz holiday?" 😂

ETA: Ha ha ha. I should have read the whole thread before responding! LOL!

Edited by importswim

When I was 'backpacking' in Europe while in college, a girl at the hostel got pissy because wherever we were didn't do anything for July 4th.  To be fair, everyone else in the room shut her down and there was some eye-rolling.  It is just that these people are memorable.  Also to be fair, I was made at a July4th celebration picnic in Germany.   Fireworks provided by the military base. 

I remember as a kid being corrected that Paris wasn't a country.   I then memorized the order that a city and its country appears in to save myself that embarrassment in the future.  I was public schooled.   I think that it is just one of the those things that adults never explain because they assume that the kid already knows.  Like relatives, no one explains to kids that Great-Aunt XYZ is the sister of your dad's dad. 

On 11/7/2015 at 1:36 PM, Melissa B said:

Ds asked yesterday, "Should I make a card for the veterinarian for Veteran's Day?" :blushing:

Common mistake. My daughter had a beloved teacher last year who was a Veteran. And she wants to be a Veterinarian when she grows up. So she started thinking she needed to grow up and join the Army to be  a "Vet"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, importswim said:

If it makes you feel better it's definitely not just hs'ers! I'm originally from England and if I had a penny for every time an adult asked me if they celebrated Christmas/Thanksgiving/4th of July in England I'd be rich! 

I would have assumed that those asking about Thanksgiving/4th of July would have been pulling my chain but when I would reply to the negative with a smile they'd all seriously ask me why. 🤔 Even as a child I'd have to ask leading questions like "What is celebrated on xyz holiday?" 😂

ETA: Ha ha ha. I should have read the whole thread before responding! LOL!

Not 4th of July but celebrating "Independence Day" is common in many countries. I've got sponsored kids (from South America, true) ask me what we do for our Independence Day.  And a LOT of them ask about "children's Day" -- which we don't celebrate at all but is evidently a big holiday in places.

I was reading a Bible story the other day and I asked my little ones if anyone could tell me something about Noah. One of my boys said, "He's the man that built a boat and then said that even God could never sink it!" I guess we got our big boat stories a tad mixed up. 😁

Edited by rose
HORRID GRAMMAR - SORRY!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

I don't know if this is a homeschool fail or just a parenting fail, but for the longest time my older son thought his middle name was Oscar.  

It isn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

On 11/19/2015 at 2:20 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

here in Aus or and aw can have the same sound

And in NZ.  I didn't realise there was another way.  Oh well.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 11:19 AM, vonfirmath said:

Not 4th of July but celebrating "Independence Day" is common in many countries. I've got sponsored kids (from South America, true) ask me what we do for our Independence Day.  And a LOT of them ask about "children's Day" -- which we don't celebrate at all but is evidently a big holiday in places.

Sure! These particular cases were Americans asking a British person about Thanksgiving and the 4th of July (and Christmas). 😂

My 10 year old insists he doesn’t know the order of the months.  We use a calendar, he made a calendar when he was little and when questioned “what comes after March?” (etc), he seems to know.  But he insists he doesn’t know the order of the months.  

Edited by LucyStoner

On 11/18/2015 at 10:57 AM, Cosmos said:

Pronounce "or" with an Australian accent and you'll see why.

My dh is an aussie pronounces this way and honest to goodness he said that exact word to our priest one day talking about watching the show Pawn Stars.  LOL   OMG...  He figured it out quickly but there was a brief moment of shock!

• Haha 2

I just discovered that my 12 year old though the “f word” was fart for a long time when he was little. He was apparently really confused when people would talk about it being a bad word becuase he thought “hey, we say that at home all the time.” 

• Haha 2

On 5/27/2019 at 10:35 AM, Alice said:

I just discovered that my 12 year old though the “f word” was fart for a long time when he was little. He was apparently really confused when people would talk about it being a bad word becuase he thought “hey, we say that at home all the time.” 

My MIL thinks that.   We had been very confused when MIL said that DD was 'using the f-word a lot'.    DH and I had both let a bad word slip out a time or two, but that wasn't one of them and as far as we knew she'd never heard the real f-word.   DD had just been potty-trained and I was worried of a messy accident.   So, I would ask her, "Was that a fart?"   

We were finishing the last chapter of Rescuers as a read-aloud when the 7yo looked suddenly startled and yelled mid-sentence, "Nils is a MOUSE??!" 

🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 4