Menu

Starbucks cup rant

Aura

:lol:

I love that one! But "Marc with a c" spelled "Cark" is my all-time favorite!

That reminds me of when I was taking a Communism, Marxism and Fascism class. And I was at a new job being trained by Carl. I had to sign both our names all the time.

I kept signing Karl (cuz hours every week learning and studying Karl Marx). He did not handle it well. And once he grabbed my hand as I was doing it and growled, "What the f--- is your problem?"

And because I'm a nervous laugher, I started giggling and couldn't stop.

Good times. Good times.

• Like 5

You know, baristas surprisingly don't usually have an issue spelling my complicated name.  I moved to the one town that should be able to spell my name (it's somewhat known here) and not once have they gotten it.  Irony.

I thought they misspell on purpose sometimes.  I mean, if someone says "Hayley" that could also be spelled Haley, Haleigh, Hailee, etc.  So they just do it creatively even when it's an obvious name and no one gets upset that their name is spelled wrong.

Am I the only person who wonders why it is important for the baristas to spell the name right?  As long as they pronounce it right when the coffee is done, who cares?

I have a name that is spelled all sorts of ways.  I always tell serving folks, "spell it whatever way will remind you how to say it."

• Like 1

It's funny though, the whole "happy holidays" is a US thing.  I have traveled over the Christmas holidays and in other countries, it's "Merry Christmas" (or whatever religious event is happening locally).  It's a US idea that we need to take responsibility for other people's intolerance of our mainstream beliefs.

Not just a US thing. I hear "Felices Fiestas" plenty in Spanish. In Venezuela (and I think in some other Latin countries) New Year's Eve is the big family get together and it's extremely important to wish every single person you know "Feliz Año" the first time you see them in January, even your neighborhood barista.

• Like 4

I thought they misspell on purpose sometimes.  I mean, if someone says "Hayley" that could also be spelled Haley, Haleigh, Hailee, etc.  So they just do it creatively even when it's an obvious name and no one gets upset that their name is spelled wrong.

Am I the only person who wonders why it is important for the baristas to spell the name right?  As long as they pronounce it right when the coffee is done, who cares?

I have a name that is spelled all sorts of ways.  I always tell serving folks, "spell it whatever way will remind you how to say it."

It's not terribly important.  In fact, I usually just use one of my kids' easy names, or something dorky because it doesn't matter.  But when I do use my name, I spell it for them and then they spell it horribly.  Probably spite.  I can't blame them. Once I said "Voldemort" and the barista told me he wouldn't say my name when he handed me my cup and then backed away.  He got a big tip. :) 

• Like 10

My friend posted this:

A Starbucks cup that read, "Cark"

and in the caption he wrote:

"I told them my name was Marc with a 'C'"

Not sure how real it is, but it was funny:

http://imgur.com/gallery/RVHHzYi

• Like 2

I'm headed there later...am contemplating giving my name as something like "Happy Solstice" or "Pantheist Princess", but I will probably contain myself.

My condolences to all the sane, quietly practicing Christians out there who have to put up with the anti-Starbucks crowd.

I vote for Pantheist Princess, just to see them try to spell it!   :D

• Like 2

So we went back to Starbucks tonight.  Only thing new that I noticed was they now have the gingerbread, eggnog and creme brulee.  So "The red cups are only the beginning" I am taking to mean, just the beginning of the holiday specials. 

In other news, the eggnog latte is still quite yummy. 

Thank you for reporting back.  Perhaps I should check if that's the case here?

My husband complained. 

"NO XMAS ADVERTISING UNTIL DECEMBER!!"

He complains this every year every where.  He has yet to figure out that not a single person or business is taking him seriously.  I suspect he just likes the sound of his own whinging. ;)

• Like 6

I have not heard anyone in real life nor Facebook complain about the red cups and my crowd covers the religious and political spectrum.

While I have some Christian friends and family and some politically conservative ones, I haven't seen the complaints either. In fact, even they are posting about how silly it is to be offended by this. 

BTW, if the originator of this is who I think it is, he regularly posts rants on facebook and YouTube  that really only highlight his ignorance.

• Like 2

I had heard they do it to be creative and keep from getting bored. I don't mind and often get a differently spelled version of Kathy, a rather boring name  - Cathy, Kathee, Kathi, Cathie, etc. Once I gave my name as Kay just to make it easy. I got a coffee with just the letter K on the cup.  :lol:

No, I'm not a secret agent. Just look right at me...into this little flashy thing.

• Like 2

I have not heard anyone in real life nor Facebook complain about the red cups and my crowd covers the religious and political spectrum.

I think it would have been only a minor flap until Trump waded into it. Once he turned it into a campaign issue with a call for a boycott of Starbucks & his thinly veiled threat to not renew Starbucks' lease in his building, it was all over.

• Like 3

I had heard they do it to be creative and keep from getting bored. I don't mind and often get a differently spelled version of Kathy, a rather boring name - Cathy, Kathee, Kathi, Cathie, etc. Once I gave my name as Kay just to make it easy. I got a coffee with just the letter K on the cup. :lol:

No, I'm not a secret agent. Just look right at me...into this little flashy thing.

I knew you were a secret agent!

I often give different names. Elvis. Elvira. Maybe I'll do Beyoncé the Chicken next.

• Like 1

I think it would have been only a minor flap until Trump waded into it. Once he turned it into a campaign issue with a call for a boycott of Starbucks & his thinly veiled threat to not renew Starbucks' lease in his building, it was all over.

Don't forget that he's going to make us all say Merry Christmas, too! I'd still like to know how he thinks he's going to manage that one.

• Like 4

I use either my son's or husband's name because those are the easiest to spell.  But I don't think anyone cares how the names are spelled anyway. 

I always have to spell "Cynthia" so I usually just use my nickname which is typically a male name.  It's easy to spell - only has 3 letters :)

Nickname courtesy of my dad who had no sons.  I was the last child (3 daughters) and he was determined that I would be the son he never had.  So I grew up with the nickname and it probably fits my personality more than my legal name.

I'm headed there later...am contemplating giving my name as something like "Happy Solstice" or "Pantheist Princess", but I will probably contain myself.

My condolences to all the sane, quietly practicing Christians out there who have to put up with the anti-Starbucks crowd.

You could have Happy Diwali since it's this week.

And I'm sure the spellings could get interesting.

• Like 3

My husband complained.

"NO XMAS ADVERTISING UNTIL DECEMBER!!"

He complains this every year every where. He has yet to figure out that not a single person or business is taking him seriously. I suspect he just likes the sound of his own whinging. ;)

Nordstrom has signs up that they won't deck their halls until after Thanksgiving.

• Like 6

link please!

From this thread, post #158

Using X to represent Christ has a long tradition among people of faith. In fact, C. S. Lewis used to use this shorthand frequently. "X" stands for the Greek letter "chi." Interpreting one particular member's use of it as derogatory is inference. Stop arguing about the X and talk about things that really matter. Thank you.

SWB

• Like 3

I think Trump just amplified the people who are already very frustrated at being forced to acknowledge the dwindling relevance of their beloved religion. Fox News has a huge following and enormous influence in this nation, and their "war on xmas" shtick each year is predictable and profitable. This is but one example of the alleged war on xianity, and religion in general. It's silly to suggest this particular expression of frustration is foolish while pretending it's not a symptom of the fear-mongering that fuels this very fear. 

• Like 1

Nah. It had already been blown way out of proportion by the time he spouted off about it, late to the party.

While I have some Christian friends and family and some politically conservative ones, I haven't seen the complaints either. In fact, even they are posting about how silly it is to be offended by this. 

BTW, if the originator of this is who I think it is, he regularly posts rants on facebook and YouTube  that really only highlight his ignorance.

Same. I don't know anyone, not one person IRL who is offended by the cups.  What does reindeer and Santa and other typical Christmas symbols have to do with Christ anyway?   And why would I expect those who aren't Christian to celebrate the aspects of Christmas that, for some, are worshipful? Just really strange the whole thing to me.  :confused1:

• Like 1

Not to talk politics or anything, but I was under the impression Trump was kidding.  He did back off immediately in the same breath.  Along the lines of people making a mountain out of a molehill, I do think that's what's happening with that clip, and it makes people look about as intelligent as the "Starbucks hates Jesus" fuss did in the first place.

Though people should certainly vote with their pocketbook whenever they feel strongly about things businesses do.

Yes, it seems like this guy is frequently pulling this kind of stunt just to get a reaction.  If you google him, all kinds of crazy stuff comes up.

• Like 2

Yes, it seems like this guy is frequently pulling this kind of stunt just to get a reaction.  If you google him, all kinds of crazy stuff comes up.

He's probably laughing all the way to the bank, as many hits as his video is getting—and my guess is that only a small percentage of that total represents people who agree with him.

• Like 2

Same. I don't know anyone, not one person IRL who is offended by the cups.  What does reindeer and Santa and other typical Christmas symbols have to do with Christ anyway?   And why would I expect those who aren't Christian to celebrate the aspects of Christmas that, for some, are worshipful? Just really strange the whole thing to me.  :confused1:

The Snowman Logical Fallacy

• Like 3

Nordstrom has signs up that they won't deck their halls until after Thanksgiving.

I wonder how that works. Christmas displays don't just magically appear. If they have regular hours on Nov. 25 (Wed. before Thanksgiving) and then have a Black Friday sale all set, someone has to do that work. They could have a full visual merchandising crew working nonstop through Thanksgiving. I would rather they decorate early than put their people through that.

• Like 1

Don't forget that he's going to make us all say Merry Christmas, too! I'd still like to know how he thinks he's going to manage that one.

Well, the government needs to stay out of our business, obviously.  Unless some heathen says "holidays" instead of "Christmas", then we can bring down the full power of the law and restore order.  Or something.  I have no idea the logic on this one.

• Like 4

I didn't this whole thread, and this may have been covered, but my guess is Starbucks was just trying to cut costs this year. Their financial loses have been in the news for some time.  The cups aren't glossy this year like in holidays/Christmases past, and I'm sure printing a design on each cup isn't cheap either. 

I didn't this whole thread, and this may have been covered, but my guess is Starbucks was just trying to cut costs this year. Their financial loses have been in the news for some time.  The cups aren't glossy this year like in holidays/Christmases past, and I'm sure printing a design on each cup isn't cheap either. 

Can you post some links?  I haven't heard a thing about Starbucks recently losing money.  They haven't even lost customers over the pretty sharp price jumps they have made in 2015.  

http://static.seattletimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/afad9ff0-3190-11e5-9422-319224f27e3c-1020x594.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/24/business/starbucks-profit-jumps-22-chief-cites-increase-in-customer-traffic.html

And the Starbucks holiday cups usually had a matte finish, similar to the regular cups, in my memory.  Starbucks is right next to our favorite Santa line and my husband always has a gift card balance from his work so the holiday cups are something I see every year.  

• Like 1

Dunkin Donuts has unveiled their holiday cups.  Apparently they don't hate Christmas and Christians because they have a wreath and the word JOY on them which everyone knows, like snowmen and reindeer, that's almost the same as saying Merry Christmas.  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/11/11/dunkin-donuts-unveils-holiday-themed-cup-amid-starbucks-controversy/75579888/

• Like 4

Can you post some links?  I haven't heard a thing about Starbucks recently losing money.  They haven't even lost customers over the pretty sharp price jumps they have made in 2015.  

http://static.seattletimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/afad9ff0-3190-11e5-9422-319224f27e3c-1020x594.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/24/business/starbucks-profit-jumps-22-chief-cites-increase-in-customer-traffic.html

And the Starbucks holiday cups usually had a matte finish, similar to the regular cups, in my memory.  Starbucks is right next to our favorite Santa line and my husband always has a gift card balance from his work so the holiday cups are something I see every year.  

This month's article from the Chicago Tribune.  http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-starbucks-experience-perspective-story.html

Starbucks' recently returned chief executive officer, Howard Schultz, finally stopped denying that fact last week with the announcement that the company was applying the brakes on the Starbucks express growth strategy and closing 600 of its 16,000 stores worldwide.

I personally buy Starbucks. Though there is better coffee to be had where we live, Starbucks is more convenient for us, so DH and I together go and get some every week. I like that they're in so many stores, too, so this also makes is convenient to grab a good coffee when I'm running errands. Starbucks gift certificates are also one of my favorite things to give as gifts because there are so many stores nation wide.

This month's article from the Chicago Tribune.  http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-starbucks-experience-perspective-story.html

I personally buy Starbucks. Though there is better coffee to be had where we live, Starbucks is more convenient for us, so DH and I together go and get some every week. I like that they're in so many stores, too, so this also makes is convenient to grab a good coffee when I'm running errands. Starbucks gift certificates are also one of my favorite things to give as gifts because there are so many stores nation wide.

Slowing their growth plans =/= losses.  Where they have not taken off or where they are over saturated it makes perfect sense to close stores.  To maintain profitability and drive people to their other locations.  

Starbucks is the hometown company we all love to hate around where I live but financially they are doing quite well.  It's not like Amazon, all revenue and no earnings. ;)

• Like 3

Slowing their growth plans =/= losses.  Where they have not taken off or where they are over saturated it makes perfect sense to close stores.  To maintain profitability and drive people to their other locations.  

Starbucks is the hometown company we all love to hate around where I live but financially they are doing quite well.  It's not like Amazon, all revenue and no earnings. ;)

Yeah, very few of our friends do Starbucks but hipsterly buy from many of the local coffee shops around here that roast their own or buy from local roasters. We're the sell outs. Ha! 

It does seem like they're doing well financially after all. I was mistaken. Thanks for the clarification.

That link comes out to me as an article published July 13 2008?

Drip by drip, Starbucks lost what made it shine  

Email

Facebook

Twitter

ADVERTISEMENT

By Tom Mullaney

11:33 pm, July 13, 2008

ETA - crossed posts, sorry.