Menu

Starbucks cup rant

Aura

You can wish me a Happy Eid.  I'd be pretty excited since no one has ever wished me a Happy Eid.  No one has ever wished me a Happy Kwanzaa either.  I have been wished a Happy Hannakuh and Happy Solstice and even went to a Solstice celebration once.  Our world has so many different beliefs and people.  I don't understand how acknowledging that - while still including Christmas! - is being PC or a "war on Christmas."

Honestly, the 2-3 months of Christmas is insane and so incredibly unnecessary!

Well, I have to go look up what Eid is.  Oh, is it Mohammed's birthday?

That is July.  Really, you need to move it to December.  That is what we Christians did.

• Like 3

I always knew there were anti-semites of course, but that the evangelical mainstream is so openly anti-semitic, no, I did not realize that.

Ok, so the whole cup thing is ridiculous, no debate there. However, I disagree that evangelicals are anti-Semitic as a rule. The FB friends I have who are opposing the red cup are largely Evangelical, yes, but they're not doing it because of "The Jews". I doubt any of them know the owner of Starbucks is Jewish. They're just… easily ruffled. 

• Like 7

Drinking out of my red starbucks cup right now.  I'm not a huge fan of their straight up coffee or espresso, but do have a soft spot for PSLs.  Yum.  

I like the red cup.   :)

What is a PSL?  Oh, I looked it up, pumpkin spice latte?  Yeah, I don't care for those.

I think some people have too much time on their hands.

Starbucks can do what it wants with its cups.

I also think it is very stupid for anyone to claim to be offended if Starbucks or any other private business decides to put Merry Christmas, Santa, Jesus, or anything else on their dishes / advertising.  If you can't stomach a coffee with or without a given design on it, then go drink somewhere else.

• Like 8

Well, I have to go look up what Eid is.  Oh, is it Mohammed's birthday?

That is July.  Really, you need to move it to December.  That is what we Christians did.

Most Muslims celebrate 2 Eids. One at the end of Ramadan (a blessed month-long fast), and one at the end of Hajj pilgrimage to mark when Abraham was commanded to sacrifice his son. 

Some Muslims celebrate a third eid, the birth of Muhammad. Most don't though, and it's nowhere near as big as the other two eids. 

And then technically, Friday is an "eid" [literally: festival/holiday] for us too. Every week :P 

And we follow the lunar calendar, which is always 29/30 days per month, and only about 354 days long. So each year, our holidays come earlier in the (solar year). Back in, maybe the 90s, Ramadan was in the winter. Right now it's in the summer. 

[tongue in cheek] We should totally just move everything to December. It would make it so much easier for companies to market. Plus, fasting would be so much easier in the winter - shorter days, cooler temps :D

• Like 7

Most Muslims celebrate 2 Eids. One at the end of Ramadan (a blessed month-long fast), and one at the end of Hajj pilgrimage to mark when Abraham was commanded to sacrifice his son. 

Some Muslims celebrate a third eid, the birth of Muhammad. Most don't though, and it's nowhere near as big as the other two eids. 

And then technically, Friday is an "eid" [literally: festival/holiday] for us too. Every week :p

And we follow the lunar calendar, which is always 29/30 days per month, and only about 354 days long. So each year, our holidays come earlier in the (solar year). Back in, maybe the 90s, Ramadan was in the winter. Right now it's in the summer. 

[tongue in cheek] We should totally just move everything to December. It would make it so much easier for companies to market. Plus, fasting would be so much easier in the winter - shorter days, cooler temps :D

True!  Shall we sign a petition?  You can eat by 5pm where I live right now, and probably sooner up North.

• Like 1

I think some people have too much time on their hands.

Starbucks can do what it wants with its cups.

I also think it is very stupid for anyone to claim to be offended if Starbucks or any other private business decides to put Merry Christmas, Santa, Jesus, or anything else on their dishes / advertising.  If you can't stomach a coffee with or without a given design on it, then go drink somewhere else.

And it's JUST a design (or lack of one). 

At least it's not certain colored cups in a certain different month, with a donation being sent to an organization I don't wish to support. But even in that case, coffee (or pizza, or whatever product) is not a need. I'm not forced to buy (product), and even if I want it, I don't have to buy it from [company].

• Like 1

And then technically, Friday is an "eid" [literally: festival/holiday] for us too. Every week :P

[tongue in cheek] We should totally just move everything to December. It would make it so much easier for companies to market. Plus, fasting would be so much easier in the winter - shorter days, cooler temps :D

I was thinking about this earlier in the week, as we're studying Islam right now for history. What would a Muslim do if he or she lived up by the Arctic circle and Ramadan fell during a period when they had twenty-four hour daylight?

• Like 1

What is a PSL? Oh, I looked it up, pumpkin spice latte? Yeah, I don't care for those.

Yep. That's it. The trick is to order a grande, extra shot and only two pumps of the pumpkin (instead of the six billion they normally put in). There. Now you know my secret vice. :)

But I do have a gripe with the cups now. Shortly after posting, my cup tipped over. So sad!!!! So, apparently they are too slippery for me.

• Like 2

I was thinking about this earlier in the week, as we're studying Islam right now for history. What would a Muslim do if he or she lived up by the Arctic circle and Ramadan fell during a period when they had twenty-four hour daylight?

My understanding is that in those cases, or with Muslim astronauts and the like, they either use the hours of the closest Muslim country, or they set their fasting hours according to what they're doing in Mecca. There may be other solutions in use in other communities with this problem. I believe, but don't quote me, that Jews use similar arrangements when it comes to Yom Kippur.

• Like 4

People in the UK even have to deal with this problem. I think the majority follow the times of the closest city that has a full sunrise/sunset. They still end up having a really difficult 20 or so hour fast. 

You might find this article interesting.

• Like 4

And it's JUST a design (or lack of one). 

At least it's not certain colored cups in a certain different month, with a donation being sent to an organization I don't wish to support. But even in that case, coffee (or pizza, or whatever product) is not a need. I'm not forced to buy (product), and even if I want it, I don't have to buy it from [company].

Does someone do that?  Or is that just an example of something you would not like? (I would not like it either.)  Maybe I missed something.

I don't particularly like Starbucks coffee.  But that is the main coffee place around here so if I want to meet someone for coffee... that's the place.  I just discovered that a smaller, localish chain is opening a shop sort of convenient to me... so I'll be going there now. 

Happy to say I have still not seen this in my facebook feed.  I must have sensible friends.  :-)

Yep. That's it. The trick is to order a grande, extra shot and only two pumps of the pumpkin (instead of the six billion they normally put in). There. Now you know my secret vice. :)

But I do have a gripe with the cups now. Shortly after posting, my cup tipped over. So sad!!!! So, apparently they are too slippery for me.

Honestly, I still wouldn't like it.  I don't like any cinnamon or spice in my coffee.  I can handle chocolate and vanilla and maybe caramel, but usually I just like milk and coffee, a plain latte or flat white.

• Like 1

Honestly, I still wouldn't like it. I don't like any cinnamon or spice in my coffee. I can handle chocolate and vanilla and maybe caramel, but usually I just like milk and coffee, a plain latte or flat white.

I do love a flat white.

I'm normally a long shot espresso girl. No sugar, no milk. Just espresso, and preferably not Starbucks. But once a year, I loves me some pumpkin. But I love anything with pumpkin. It's embarrassing, really.

Honestly, I still wouldn't like it. I don't like any cinnamon or spice in my coffee. I can handle chocolate and vanilla and maybe caramel, but usually I just like milk and coffee, a plain latte or flat white.

Yeah. No pumpkin in coffee. Or beer. I am against pumpkin flavored beverages.

• Like 2

I do love a flat white.

I'm normally a long shot espresso girl. No sugar, no milk. Just espresso, and preferably not Starbucks. But once a year, I loves me some pumpkin. But I love anything with pumpkin. It's embarrassing, really.

To be fair, there is no pumpkin in a pumpkin spice latte.

• Like 1

One of my co-op students came in with a red Starbucks cup the other day.  My only thought was :  "Christmas cups?  ALREADY??" 

They are a marketing genius. The solid red makes the green and white Starbucks stand out so nice and Christmasy.

• Like 1

I kind of like it. If you look closely at it, it has an ombre thing going on and gets darker toward the bottom.

I like it, too. (And I'm a Christian 😉) When I first read this thread yesterday, I had a hard time believing anyone was actually upset about this. But, sure enough, by the evening, I saw a few posts on FB with people ranting about it. I seriously don't understand the upset. It's a cup! Starbucks is not a religious organization, they're just a coffee company. First world problems, I guess. But, how sad.

• Like 1

Ok, so the whole cup thing is ridiculous, no debate there. However, I disagree that evangelicals are anti-Semitic as a rule. The FB friends I have who are opposing the red cup are largely Evangelical, yes, but they're not doing it because of "The Jews". I doubt any of them know the owner of Starbucks is Jewish. They're just… easily ruffled. 

I never would have thought evangelicals would be so openly anti-Semitic, frankly. I am as amazed as you are. When I was an evangelical Christian, I would say the whole camp appeared very pro-Jewish and pro-Israeli and anti-anti-Semitic. And maybe because I'm in Seattle but most people know who Howard Schultz is and that he's Jewish. I mean... Schultz? Is that not a Jewish name (Yiddish)? 

I guess it just amazes me that they don't even consider the possibility that the owner of the store is not Christian? Or even "white". Jews being not white, but who pass in every day interactions until you know they're Jewish--I have seen Jewish people unmasked by Ivy League white people and it's pretty shockingly racist when they are 'found out'--"You didn't say you were a Jew!"  :huh:

But the evangelicals in my experience weren't like that, not previously. Seems like that whole crowd is really coalescing under fascism after all.

• Like 2

I never would have thought evangelicals would be so openly anti-Semitic, frankly. I am as amazed as you are. When I was an evangelical Christian, I would say the whole camp appeared very pro-Jewish and pro-Israeli and anti-anti-Semitic. And maybe because I'm in Seattle but most people know who Howard Schultz is and that he's Jewish. I mean... Schultz? Is that not a Jewish name (Yiddish)? 

I guess it just amazes me that they don't even consider the possibility that the owner of the store is not Christian? Or even "white". Jews being not white, but who pass in every day interactions until you know they're Jewish--I have seen Jewish people unmasked by Ivy League white people and it's pretty shockingly racist when they are 'found out'--"You didn't say you were a Jew!"  :huh:

But the evangelicals in my experience weren't like that, not previously. Seems like that whole crowd is really coalescing under fascism after all.

I thought they were just reacting to the idea that the company was trying to be "politically correct," regardless of who the owners were.  Currently, the assumption is likely to be that they are trying not to offend Muslims.

I am not aware of significant anti-Jew sentiment among evangelicals, but I could be missing something.  I think it is well-known that the owners of many department stores etc. are / have been Jewish, and yet they are all in when it comes to marketing Christmas.

Charles Schulz was raised Lutheran.  :)  There are many Christian people named Schultz.

Do most people even know the last name of the owner of Starbucks?  I don't, but I also don't drink coffee.  But then it never occurred to me that the Simon in the Simon malls comes from a family's last name (and I wouldn't guess Jewish for them because some of my Catholic ancestors had the last name of Simon).  I have no idea who owns most stores/companies.

• Like 2

Do most people even know the last name of the owner of Starbucks?  I don't, but I also don't drink coffee.  But then it never occurred to me that the Simon in the Simon malls comes from a family's last name (and I wouldn't guess Jewish for them because some of my Catholic ancestors had the last name of Simon).  I have no idea who owns most stores/companies.

I don't either and I don't know why it would matter.  I'm kind of ??? by this part of the conversation. :-)

I guess I've seen Schultz's name in the paper from time to time, if I glanced at a story about Starbucks.  But it never really registered with me as something I needed to know.  Not enough brain space, you know?  :-)

• Like 2

I don't understand the mall thing AT ALL.  How is a picture with Santa, regardless of background, NOT Christmas?  Are "we" really worried that hordes of Jews and Muslims and secular lefties are going to overtake the 2 hour lines for crappy pictures and use up all of the old man's magic before his rightful owners can get to him?  All because of a snowy North Pole decor instead of all that green and shinny that usually keeps us away like garlic for vampires?

Give us your Santa!  But first we must fell all of your Baby Jesus trees!!!

• Like 6

Here is what happens in Sweden where in the north the sun does not set in summer and does not rise in winter

And I'm upset we have the red cups already because I loved the fall cups this year with their adult colouring book/zentangle design and I wanted to see them longer. 

• Like 4

I just read an article on CNN about this. It was started by a former pastor who now calls himself a "social media personality". We're supposed to punk Starbucks by giving our names as Merry Christmas so they will be forced to write Merry Christmas on the cups. Bwahahaha!! Seeing Merry Christmas written on a cup will surely win souls for Christ, right?!?

IMHO, anyone who calls himself a "social media personality" needs to be thrown off the island.

• Like 20

The thing I don't get about it is that none of the things they took off the cups for this year were actually Christian, right? Wasn't it snowflakes and snowmen and stuff? How in the world is not having a reindeer or whatever on your latte an attack on Christianity?  :huh:

Exactly!! I am really tired of people choosing to be offended over absolutely nothing. It's like we have a culture filled with adults who act like three year olds and tantrum because things aren't exactly the way they want them! GROW UP ALREADY! (Whew, glad I got that out.)

As far as coffee goes, I don't care of the face of Hannibal Lecter is on my cup! Serve me my caffeine hot and prompt so I do not turn into Hannibal. Just hand over the caffeine and no one gets hurt. :D

Hissy fits over nothing.

Now, if Starbucks took 10 minutes to make my latte, well, they deserve it when the Incredible Hulk emerges. :biggrinjester:

• Like 5

I just read an article on CNN about this. It was started by a former pastor who now calls himself a "social media personality". We're supposed to punk Starbucks by giving our names as Merry Christmas so they will be forced to write Merry Christmas on the cups. Bwahahaha!! Seeing Merry Christmas written on a cup will surely win souls for Christ, right?!?

IMHO, anyone who calls himself a "social media personality" needs to be thrown off the island.

Oh just wow! I vote him off right now. This is me, staring into the camera with my big piece of fake parchment paper and marker saying, "I am voting HIMMMMMMMMMMMM off the island!"

• Like 2

I generally avoid religious discussions on this forum, but as a devout evangelical Christian I want to unequivically dispell the "Evangelicals are anti-Semitic" subtheme of this thread.

I have belonged to the Evangelical Free Curch in America (EFCA) denomination for nearly 15 years, and I can confidently say that I've NEVER experienced the anti-semitism claimed in this thread. Quite the opposite, actually. Our denomination is a huge supporter of Israel, we pray for the peace of Israel... heck, we've even had Jewish guest speakers and presenters at our church. Anti-Semitic???

I honestly have no idea where this absurd notion that evangelicals are anti-semitic has come from, but I feel compelled (against my common sense) to speak up in defense of persons of the evangelical faith.

ETA: And I couldn't care less about the Starbucks cup design, or about the religious background of the chain's owner. And in the four hours I spent at my large E-Free church yesterday, the topic never came up.

Kinsa, I'll join you as another Christian who is most definitely NOT anti-semitic. And all my Christian friends are very clearly not either.

And to whomever said above that conservatives assume everyone who drinks lattes is liberal? Huh!?!

And I think that the claim that Starbucks is being anti-Christian with these cups is ridiculous.

And now, I must go teach my dd something. :)

• Like 6

Honestly, I still wouldn't like it.  I don't like any cinnamon or spice in my coffee.  I can handle chocolate and vanilla and maybe caramel, but usually I just like milk and coffee, a plain latte or flat white.

I do love a flat white.

Where can you get a flat white? I have not had one in a long time.

Starbucks hot chocolate is made with milk and cocoa. It is not watered down (unless you count 2% milk as watered down, which I do, but considering how many people choose nonfat, I thought I was the minority). It's not sweet because they don't add a lot of sugar. I know--I always watch them make it to make sure they haven't changed the recipe since 1996 (they haven't). It's steamed milk and mocha syrup.

I also don't understand why people have to order the most expensive coffee. A tall drip coffee at Starbucks is $1.85 and that's less than at Panera, less than at Stumptown, and it's only .40 more than at the college cafeteria where they serve Torrefazione. So I don't really get it.

Of course you pay a whole lot of money for a cup of milk with a bunch of sugar in it. Of course. That's more like a shake. I buy fair trade and community trade coffees from a variety of sources and buy coffee at local cafes here in Seattle and Starbucks is very typical. You can save money on coffee but Starbucks is hardly ahead of the game. Is this a "wow fancy shmancy look at you eating at a cafe" thing or do other areas have cheaper cafes?

Also, I still don't get what people are complaining about... they don't like the design? ????? They want Christmas? Does anybody else know that Howard Schultz is Jewish????? Starbucks was never, ever Christian. He's a flipping Jew. Are they seriously boycotting a Jewish-owned business for not supporting Christmas?

This is truly a new low for these jerks.

:iagree: However, I get the specialty mochas because I want something I can't make at home myself as a special treat. ;) And yes, way less sweet than every other mocha I've had outside of Starbucks. Tim Hortons, McD's (GAG), local cafes...all way way way too sugary for me. 

I generally avoid religious discussions on this forum, but as a devout evangelical Christian I want to unequivically dispell the "Evangelicals are anti-Semitic" subtheme of this thread.

I have belonged to the Evangelical Free Curch in America (EFCA) denomination for nearly 15 years, and I can confidently say that I've NEVER experienced the anti-semitism claimed in this thread. Quite the opposite, actually. Our denomination is a huge supporter of Israel, we pray for the peace of Israel... heck, we've even had Jewish guest speakers and presenters at our church. Anti-Semitic???

I honestly have no idea where this absurd notion that evangelicals are anti-semitic has come from, but I feel compelled (against my common sense) to speak up in defense of persons of the evangelical faith.

ETA: And I couldn't care less about the Starbucks cup design, or about the religious background of the chain's owner. And in the four hours I spent at my large E-Free church yesterday, the topic never came up.

The thing is that most people do not SEE their anti-Semitism or ignorance.  I was raised Jewish.  People genuinely seem to feel they are being nice when they continue on in a condescending and confrontational way about how we are the same because Jesus was Jewish so I MUST agree with their beliefs. And if I don't?  Unending lecturing on how obviously I should believe in Jesus instead because Jesus was Jewish and this is where he wanted things to go, etc.  So are they pro-Israel (which not even all Jews are Zionists, btw) for altruistic reasons or are they pro-Israel because they are anti-Islam and hope their Jewish "cousins" (I heard that one A LOT) would eventually come to Jesus and they would unite? I'm not trying to start a heated debate, but THIS is why many are seen as anti-Semitic and insulting.  We've lived through it. Some people just don't have the ability to understand how insulting they're really being. 

• Like 9