Menu

Starbucks cup rant

Aura

I always knew there were anti-semites of course, but that the evangelical mainstream is so openly anti-semitic, no, I did not realize that.

Well, if it helps, I think of Breitbart as sort of... fringey? But that may be the bubble effect. Nobody I know reads that except for mocking purposes.

But no, I do tend to think there's a lot of xenophobic sentiment behind this sort of hysterical fear-mongering, and xenophobia doesn't really care if the xeno is Jewish or atheist or Muslim. Some prejudices are no longer acceptable to openly state, but when I hear "War on Christmas" I can't help but to hear that as a huge dog-whistle for "Jews-Muslims-atheists!!!!" Except that nobody's ever postulated a Muslim or atheist conspiracy to take over the media, and you sort of have to control the media to perpetuate a war on Christmas, or you would if any such thing was actually going on. (I'm sure it's coming down the pike, though. All these ludicrous conspiracy theories just keep circulating around and around, changing monsters but keeping the same old stories.)

• Like 2

We have solved that one. Just say- Happy Hallothankmas! :)

I prefer Ramahanakwanzmas.  Glenn Beck even had a song about it.  Back when he was actually funny and didn't fancy himself a political dude.  (This was WAY before he was even on Headline News.)

• Like 2

Anyone else have the Weird Al song called First World Problems going through their heads right now?

"My barista didn't even bother to make a design in the foam on the top of my vanilla latte!" 

I always forget about that song because it isn't one of his catchiest original tunes IMO. It's perfect for this complaint though.

We have solved that one. Just say- Happy Hallothankmas! :)

Or - Happy Christmakwanzakuh! :D

On topic - What a silly thing to get upset about (but I think the whole War on Christmas BS is silly)  I'm just there for the caffeine. To paraphrase a PP, as long as the cup holds my coffee without leaking I don't care how it's decorated. Baby Jesus, Santa, plain red. No difference. Just gimme my coffee!

I haven't seen anything  fb, but most of my fb friends, except for some older relatives, aren't the type to post this kind of stuff. If I do see anything on my feed, I think I'll post a comment telling them the CEO (and early owner) is Jewish and ask them why they think it's a problem for Jews to not celebrate Christmas. 

Of course, Jewish owner or not, I'm sure there are NO Christians working for Starbucks in any capacity, and the people who design the cups sat around the conference table asking each other how they can alienate their Christian customers this holiday season. Right?  :001_rolleyes:

• Like 2

I fail to see how a red and green cup is a war on Christmas. Sometimes people just get their panties in a wad for no reason. 

I admit, I don't like this season's cup. I find it kind of plain and ugly, but it's still the right colors. 

I kind of like it. If you look closely at it, it has an ombre thing going on and gets darker toward the bottom. 

• Like 4

Next year they should totally have an assortment of cups, one for each winter holiday.  And then sit back and laugh as crazy people try to say it's a war on Christmas even though Christmas is represented.

Oh my gosh, can you imagine?  :lol:  People would be freaking out because they got the Pagan cup or whatever.  

• Like 7

I kind of like it. If you look closely at it, it has an ombre thing going on and gets darker toward the bottom. 

Maybe they have awesome, Jesus-themed tumblers out, and the plain cup is to encourage us to be more environmentally conscious. Eco-terrorism!

• Like 1

I saw that earlier and rolled my eyes so hard. I really wonder if these attack-on-Christmas types have ever put themselves in the shoes of someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas. And how strange it must be to live in a country where this holiday explodes all around them from Halloween to New Years. Not that I think anyone needs to scale down their own holiday! I love Christmas, it's my favorite time of year. But I also don't go around taking as some kind of personal affront if every single aspect of my life doesn't conform to MY ideas of the holiday. How egotistical is that?

And it's still and red and green cup! :huh:

• Like 3

What? WHY? How is the retailer supposed to know why I'm shopping? Happy holidays seems absolutely appropriate.

No, I am sorry.  I was NOT clear.  I hate it when people say, "It is Merry Christmas, NOT happy holidays!"  I don't understand why people need to get so upset by this.

Just celebrate! 

So, Happy Holidays! 

Dawn

• Like 5

I can't believe this is even a thing. It's a cup, people. A cup that you're going to throw away after you finish with it. Must everything be transformed into a conspiracy theory? Le sigh. 

Le sigh. This has nothing to do with Starbucks, Red Cups, Christmas or the fast decline of Christmas. I have a friend from high school that always used to say "Le Sigh" (she still will!) and you made me think of her, I thought she was the only one who said it!

Because if they had truly Christian-themed cups, wouldn't it be some sort of sin to throw them away after we use them? ;). ("OMG! Those heathen Starbucks customers are throwing the Baby Jesus in the trash!" :svengo:)

I literally LOL'd at this. I can just image Miss Martha (events in the post are fictional, if they resemble any real happenings it is purely coincidental) looking at me as I blithely toss said cup into the trash compactor.

I don't go to Starbucks.

I do think this year's cups are ugly. They remind me of red Solo cups.

I love Christmas and secular winter images. I think the plain red cups are a fail, IMO.

Red Solo cup... I fill you up.... let's have a party......I love you Red Solo Cup.....

Yes, let's fill our cup... eggnog.... adult eggnog. Then we will forget the cup, the red and Starbucks!

• Like 1

Le sigh. This has nothing to do with Starbucks, Red Cups, Christmas or the fast decline of Christmas. I have a friend from high school that always used to say "Le Sigh" (she still will!) and you made me think of her, I thought she was the only one who said it!

I have a friend who says Le sigh, too!  She's in Canada.

Shoot, I thought this was about the inferior material the cups are made of. Haven't we progressed beyond paper? Do we not have better insulators than paper? Were people sitting around trying to think of what to make the cups from , and this was their brillant idea? Look, we can put the coffee in anything and people will buy it. I could even roll up these meeting notes,coat it with wax and drink coffee from this paper. Yes, paper, we'll use paper.

I'll say it. Coffee in paper cups is just a bad idea. On the other hand , I hate their coffee and maybe I don't care enough to keep it hot on the few occasions I buy it.

So, wait, how is a cup in the traditional Christmas colors of red and green an "attack on Christmas"???

It's not like they made cups in purple or puce.

And, heavens, this can't be a war on Christmas, because *it isn't even close to the Christmas season yet, people*  Advent doesn't even start for almost a month yet!!  You know what this really smacks of?

The war on THANKSGIVING!!!  Can we please just wait till after Thanksgiving to deck the halls and start the caroling?  Retailers, I'm looking at all of you...

• Like 35

I had not heard anything of this either. Reminds me of the Reagan speech, in which the Soviets were trying to steal Christmas:

That line was that Grenada produces more nutmeg than any other spot on Earth. [Laughter] So, he said, in breaking the code, number one, that is true -- they produce more nutmeg than any other spot on Earth. He said, number two, the Soviets and the Cubans are trying to take Grenada. And number three, you can't have good eggnog without nutmeg. [Laughter] And number four, you can't have Christmas without eggnog. And number five, the Soviets and the Cubans were trying to steal Christmas. [Laughter] And number six, we stopped them. [Laughter]

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/speeches/1984/102484c.htm

Well, I hadn't heard anything about this til now, and I'm quite certain I know of no one in real life who really thinks this is a big deal or an attack on Christianity.  That's just ridiculous.

Of course if Starbucks no longer had their Peppermint Mocha during the holidays, that'd be another story...

• Like 2

No, I am sorry. I was NOT clear. I hate it when people say, "It is Merry Christmas, NOT happy holidays!" I don't understand why people need to get so upset by this.

Just celebrate!

So, Happy Holidays!

Dawn

See, THIS is why we need a Devil's advocate/sarcasm font.

Perhaps Starbucks should make a reflective foil cup so people can only see themselves?

• Like 8

You mean I'm supposed to pay attention to what's on the cup instead of what's in it? I rarely have coffee from Starbucks or any other coffee shop anyway, but I can't remember a single cup design that's ever appeared on my cup. How would I know what design is "supposed" to be there? If other people hadn't told them to be outraged, I bet most people wouldn't even have noticed the change.

There's so much to dislike about the design of this cup and ERMAGAWD WAR ON CHRISTMAS is all they can come up with?

Besides, it's a cup design. I think it's safe to say this is perspective-lacking click bait.

The winter themed iced drink cups (all I ever get from Starbucks when I do go there (not often) is iced plain coffee) are meant to look frosty. That said, to me it looks like mold from the wrong angle. Yum.

• Like 1

Can we have a moment of silence for the dearly departed Chantico? It was like chocolate espresso (no coffee). I think the real war here is on chocolate. I'd drink that out of any cup.

Such a sad, sad loss.

• Like 5

Howard Schultz may be Jewish, but most of the coffee drinks are not kosher and Starbucks bombed in Israel

I do not believe he is religious.

The point was simply to say that it is absurd to claim that Jewish-owned companies must support Christian traditions. It just highlights the sectarian and to some extent racist and bigoted nature of that rhetoric.

• Like 6

Because Rudolph was the one who led the Wise Men to the manger, duh. And if you remove Rudolph, it can only be because you HATE Christmas, and also babies.

And kittens. You forgot kittens

It reminds me of the comment made by a wise and beloved neighbor regarding a lawsuit in our neighborhood over building height: "This is what happens when people don't have anything real to worry about."

This.

Is this a joke? People are really upset about this?

See... that's what I keep thinking.  It must be a joke.. who would get their panties in a twist over that???  It's a cup of overpriced coffee for goodness sakes. 

Besides, isn't it a bit early for Christmas designs on our disposable coffee cups??? 

It's ridiculous.

Around here the Starbucks "War on Christmas" has been added to with the Simon Malls "War on Christmas" because they made where Santa sits for pictures into this modern ice cave looking thing with no Christmas trees.

More than the explosion of holiday stuff in stores before Halloween (really? who needs to buy Christmas ornaments in October?) I can't stand the rush of "War on Christmas" posts on Facebook.   I want to answer every one of them with something really snarky but then I'd alienate half my extended family.  :glare:   Some years I think it would be worth it just to make the point.

• Like 3

I do not believe he is religious.

The point was simply to say that it is absurd to claim that Jewish-owned companies must support Christian traditions. It just highlights the sectarian and to some extent racist and bigoted nature of that rhetoric.

He's not and I don't care one way or the other.  ;)  I got your point though!  :)

It's ridiculous.

Around here the Starbucks "War on Christmas" has been added to with the Simon Malls "War on Christmas" because they made where Santa sits for pictures into this modern ice cave looking thing with no Christmas trees.

More than the explosion of holiday stuff in stores before Halloween (really? who needs to buy Christmas ornaments in October?) I can't stand the rush of "War on Christmas" posts on Facebook.   I want to answer every one of them with something really snarky but then I'd alienate half my extended family.  :glare:   Some years I think it would be worth it just to make the point.

Just want to point out the Simon family is also Jewish...

Perhaps there really is a conspiracy!   :lol:  :driving:  :glare:

• Like 4

Well, if it helps, I think of Breitbart as sort of... fringey? But that may be the bubble effect. Nobody I know reads that except for mocking purposes.

But no, I do tend to think there's a lot of xenophobic sentiment behind this sort of hysterical fear-mongering, and xenophobia doesn't really care if the xeno is Jewish or atheist or Muslim. Some prejudices are no longer acceptable to openly state, but when I hear "War on Christmas" I can't help but to hear that as a huge dog-whistle for "Jews-Muslims-atheists!!!!" Except that nobody's ever postulated a Muslim or atheist conspiracy to take over the media, and you sort of have to control the media to perpetuate a war on Christmas, or you would if any such thing was actually going on. (I'm sure it's coming down the pike, though. All these ludicrous conspiracy theories just keep circulating around and around, changing monsters but keeping the same old stories.)

Oh, but we totally are. Can't you tell? The media is ALWAYS going on about us :P

I prefer Ramahanakwanzmas.  Glenn Beck even had a song about it.  Back when he was actually funny and didn't fancy himself a political dude.  (This was WAY before he was even on Headline News.)

Yeah, but Ramadan isn't a winter holiday (and one might argue it's a month and not a holiday at all)... And there's lots of people who don't celebrate any winter holiday. 

Makes Eid a bit harder to make special for our kids when all of the stores are celebrating Christmas for 2-3 months each fall/winter. But do we go on about how commercialized and public Christmas is a "war on non-Christians?" (and I'm pretty sure non-Christians, and especially non-religious Christians are the majority in our area). No, we just go on with our day, and if someone wishes us "Merry Christmas" or "Happy ___" we wish them the same. 

• Like 3

Makes Eid a bit harder to make special for our kids when all of the stores are celebrating Christmas for 2-3 months each fall/winter. But do we go on about how commercialized and public Christmas is a "war on non-Christians?" (and I'm pretty sure non-Christians, and especially non-religious Christians are the majority in our area). No, we just go on with our day, and if someone wishes us "Merry Christmas" or "Happy ___" we wish them the same. 

You can wish me a Happy Eid.  I'd be pretty excited since no one has ever wished me a Happy Eid.  No one has ever wished me a Happy Kwanzaa either.  I have been wished a Happy Hannakuh and Happy Solstice and even went to a Solstice celebration once.  Our world has so many different beliefs and people.  I don't understand how acknowledging that - while still including Christmas! - is being PC or a "war on Christmas."

Honestly, the 2-3 months of Christmas is insane and so incredibly unnecessary!

• Like 7