Menu

Fiction about a monkey - 4th grade?

dancingmama

Curious George books

In the fourth grade? Fourth grade = aged 9 - 10.

Besides, George doesn't have a tail, ergo, he's an ape, not a monkey.

I'll tentatively second Dragon of the Lost Sea.

Really, though, it's a toughie. I actually do know a fiction book with a main character who is a monkey, but it's not a middle grade book at all - Lovelock, by Orson Scott Card and Kathryn H. Kidd. It's not wildly inappropriate for children or anything like that, but I'm not sure she'd enjoy it much. A good deal of the book is taken up with the main character fretting about his owner's marital problems.

Thanks for the ideas. Last year it was a book about bananas. So I got her a Bananas in Pajamas book. She was 3rd so although young, I knew it would still make her laugh as she was still an early reader. Now she's firmly solid in reading so I want to get her something more appropriate. Thank you!

Read the descriptions. Lovelock is definitely to mature for her but I think my hubs and I might enjoy it.

I'm torn between Summer of the Monkeys and Dragon of the Lost Sea. I'm leaning towards Summer of the Monkeys and have her mom do a read aloud. My sis has mentioned she likes good read alouds and I think my niece would find this hilarious. Otoh, I think my Dd will love Dragon of the Seas. One and Only Ivan is floating around here somewhere. I think it may be too deep of a topic for her right now.

Thanks again for the ideas!

• Like 1

Precious and the Monkeys would definitely be fun, and it's the first in a series - it's the children's prequel to The First Ladies' Detective Agency. It's a bit short and easy for a 3rd grader, but still fun.

You could also try for a book about Hanuman the Hindu monkey god. We have a picture book that's lovely but there might be others for older children.

• Like 1

In the fourth grade? Fourth grade = aged 9 - 10.

Besides, George doesn't have a tail, ergo, he's an ape, not a monkey.

I'll tentatively second Dragon of the Lost Sea.

Really, though, it's a toughie. I actually do know a fiction book with a main character who is a monkey, but it's not a middle grade book at all - Lovelock, by Orson Scott Card and Kathryn H. Kidd. It's not wildly inappropriate for children or anything like that, but I'm not sure she'd enjoy it much. A good deal of the book is taken up with the main character fretting about his owner's marital problems.

shrug

My 9-10 year olds all loved Curious George.

Precious and the Monkeys would definitely be fun, and it's the first in a series - it's the children's prequel to The First Ladies' Detective Agency. It's a bit short and easy for a 3rd grader, but still fun.

I haven't read this one, but I did read another in the series and it was very cute and very well-done. I think it would be fine for a third-grader.

I read and enjoyed Summer of the Monkeys when I was in elementary school. However, I reread some of Wilson Rawls' book Where the Red Fern Grows a few years ago, and I was surprised and disappointed by his callous attitude towards animals. (For example, a cat in the story keeps getting caught and injured in traps intended for other animals. The cat finally runs away. This is supposed to be hilarious.)  

I vote for Precious and the Monkeys.  :001_smile: