Menu

Favorite books/courses on learning to learn or study skills?

Coursera has Learning how to Learn.  My kids and I thought that was helpful. The co-presenter, Barbara Oakley, also has a book that is related to the course:  A Mind for Numbers.  It's applicable to other learning besides math.

I know people love that Super Star Student course, but my kids hated the presenter.  Just could not stand watching him.  We didn't watch too much of it.  I should watch the rest and just discuss it with them. 

• Like 3

I know people love that Super Star Student course, but my kids hated the presenter.  Just could not stand watching him.  We didn't watch too much of it.  I should watch the rest and just discuss it with them.

FWIW, the Super Star Student course has been updated in a second edition with a more, um, polished teacher. And slightly different topics. We watched the second edition on Amazon streaming, after watching most of the first edition on library-borrowed DVDs, and we liked the newer one a lot better. But maybe the second one is the one you watched and didn't care for, LOL.

OP, in addition to the above terrific suggestions, we also watched and enjoyed most of the episodes from a particular series on YouTube, featuring a community college instructor who teaches a class on study skills. (This was linked previously by another poster here on the boards - wish I could remember who.) Just do a search on YouTube for "LBCC Study Skills". (LBCC is Long Beach Community College.)

FWIW, the Super Star Student course has been updated in a second edition with a more, um, polished teacher. And slightly different topics. We watched the second edition on Amazon streaming, after watching most of the first edition on borrowed DVDs, and we liked the newer one a lot better. But maybe the second one is the one you watched and didn't care for, LOL.

OP, in addition to the above terrific suggestions, we also watched and enjoyed most of the episodes from a particular series on YouTube, featuring a community college instructor who teaches a class on study skills. (This was linked previously by another poster here on the boards - wish I could remember who.) Just do a search on YouTube for "LBCC Study Skills". (LBCC is Long Beach Community College.)

I just checked - we have the earlier edition!  I watched the preview of the newer one and it looks much better.  Of course I can't tell from the little clip, but his presentation style looks much better.  I'm requesting it from the library.

And, I should check their return policy.  I know they guarantee the courses, but we've had it a long time so not sure I could return it or would feel good about doing so at this point.

Thanks for the headsup on that!

• Like 1

FWIW, the Super Star Student course has been updated in a second edition with a more, um, polished teacher. And slightly different topics. We watched the second edition on Amazon streaming, after watching most of the first edition on borrowed DVDs, and we liked the newer one a lot better. But maybe the second one is the one you watched and didn't care for, LOL.

Thanks a bunch!

• Like 1

Coursera has Learning how to Learn.  My kids and I thought that was helpful. The co-presenter, Barbara Oakley, also has a book that is related to the course:  A Mind for Numbers.  It's applicable to other learning besides math.

Perfect, thanks!