Menu

PSA for young SAT takers

Cosmos

SAVE YOUR REGISTRATION NUMBER!

My ds took the SAT three years ago at age 12. Because he was under 13, we had to do paper registration through the mail rather than online. After he turned 13, the scores were purged and College Board told me his record was gone. (You can request to have the scores retained, but we didn't do it in time.)

Fast forward to now, when ds is registering to take his first SAT subject test. In the registration process, they ask if you have ever registered by mail. At first he answered no, because we assumed they wanted to link it with any existing account and we thought his old account was gone. But an error code popped up saying that their records showed he had registered previously through the mail. In order to proceed with registration, he had to input the registration number from his test three years ago.

I finally found the scrap of paper with his test scores and he was able to register before the midnight deadline.

I complained earlier that College Board never told us we would need this number, but I see now that at the very bottom it does say, "To set up an online SAT account you will need the date you tested and the registration number below." I believe on reading that three years ago, I would have assumed they meant an online account to interact with those particular scores. But they mean to create ANY online account that you will create EVER in the future.

So SAVE THE PAPER. (And don't wait until the last day to register. Don't be like us. Always good advice. ;))

• Like 5

We saved the scores from an earlier mail-in registration and recently opened an online account when DS turned 13. They told me on the phone that scores had been expunged! Luckily I had saved a copy of the letter asking them to save scores. I quoted the test date, letter date and DS's registration number and lo and behold, they said the scores were there. Huh, I am still scratching my head over that one.

There was a line on his account saying that any test taken 8th and below will be expunged so just a heads up that having an online account at 13 does not mean they will still keep your scores. I grade skipped DS on the spot so he could enter his grade level as 9th grade (he's 8th by age). :D ETA: that also allowed him to upload a photo online.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where my child's info at this second.  I have an idea, but only because my state requires we keep a porfolio and I think it's in there.  He took them at 11, which was 7th grade, and I also figured it didn't matter what the registration number was - since scores aren't kept unless requested and I didn't request it.