Menu

Help me brainstorm potential non-Four Year college marketable skills

Ginevra

Please don't judge me. I know DS has two more years of maturing which could make a large difference, but at present I am very doubtful that direct entry into a 4-yr college will be a good decision for him. He is not a strong academic. He is incapable of planning work and executing it well. He's a scattered guy. I also worry more about him socially than I did with my older child because he puts a lot of emphasis on what others do or think. He is more suceptible to bad decisions based on peers.

He is interested in a military career, particularly Air Force, but I am very unknowledgeable about this route at present.

He is keen on computers and technology. He is athletically fit and has strong kinesthetic instincts. I think for future career options, the best choices would be any that allow him to go to different locations and interact with different people; I believe he is very ill-suited to a "desk job" or being at the same place every day, with the same people. His mathematics skills are strong. His language skills are sub-par. (like - VERY.)

I am looking for thoughts on certificate programs, 2-year job entry, or other out-of-the-box ideas that will still give him useful skills that can become a good career. I want, at minimum, to have several Plan B ideas if 4-yr-degree fades farther from view as he continues on.

(He is at a B&M school, BTW.)

Also hoping this post is not ill-placed on the College Board.

• Like 2

Does this high school have a JROTC program? If I recall correctly, he's not homeschooling high school. Even if they don't have JROTC, do they offer the ASVAB? He could take the ASVAB and figure what programs he'd be eligible for.

Does the high school have business, programming, technical drawings or GIS electives. I'd explore electivesvoffered at school and see what he wants to try.

Id also look at vocational certification programs at the local cc. Look at course requirements and explore the topics with ds.

• Like 3

Does this high school have a JROTC program? If I recall correctly, he's not homeschooling high school. Even if they don't have JROTC, do they offer the ASVAB? He could take the ASVAB and figure what programs he'd be eligible for.

Does the high school have business, programming, technical drawings or GIS electives. I'd explore electivesvoffered at school and see what he wants to try.

Id also look at vocational certification programs at the local cc. Look at course requirements and explore the topics with ds.

No JROTC as far as I know. It is a small, private school. There are some electives he can take that would be good for him. There is web design and a technology class. The web design would satisfy an art requirement, which is the best art option for him. He didn't have room in his schedule to do that this year, though.

I am going to see what the CC has; I know they have several certification programs.

No JROTC as far as I know. It is a small, private school. There are some electives he can take that would be good for him. There is web design and a technology class. The web design would satisfy an art requirement, which is the best art option for him. He didn't have room in his schedule to do that this year, though.

I am going to see what the CC has; I know they have several certification programs.

You might look for Sea Cadets. It is similar to JROTC but not school based.

If he's interested in the military enlisting might be a good way for him to learn good tech skills and also learn maturity and skills like time management and how to work through a job. The ASVAB would be a first step. Don't let him feel pressured to sign up unless he has asked a lot of questions, done research and asked more questions.

• Like 1

Please don't judge me. I know DS has two more years of maturing which could make a large difference, but at present I am very doubtful that direct entry into a 4-yr college will be a good decision for him. He is not a strong academic. He is incapable of planning work and executing it well. He's a scattered guy. I also worry more about him socially than I did with my older child because he puts a lot of emphasis on what others do or think. He is more suceptible to bad decisions based on peers.

He is interested in a military career, particularly Air Force, but I am very unknowledgeable about this route at present.

He is keen on computers and technology. He is athletically fit and has strong kinesthetic instincts. I think for future career options, the best choices would be any that allow him to go to different locations and interact with different people; I believe he is very ill-suited to a "desk job" or being at the same place every day, with the same people. His mathematics skills are strong. His language skills are sub-par. (like - VERY.)

I am looking for thoughts on certificate programs, 2-year job entry, or other out-of-the-box ideas that will still give him useful skills that can become a good career. I want, at minimum, to have several Plan B ideas if 4-yr-degree fades farther from view as he continues on.

(He is at a B&M school, BTW.)

Also hoping this post is not ill-placed on the College Board.

The son of a coworker sounds very much like your son. He did odd jobs for a year after graduating from high school and then joined the Air National Guard. Right now he is at basic training and plans to start community college when returns. He scored well on the military exams, so he had his choice of careers. He will be working with computers. His parents have been amazed at the focus he now has in working towards his goals.
  • Like 2

Civil Air Patrol would be a good way for him to explore the Air Force.  It is not school based. 

What about IT support? Working on hard drives, network maintenance, a lot of possibilities there. Even potential for him to travel within a specific service area going from place to place so he isn't inside all the time. 

What about working with a land surveyor? I have no idea what the requirements for that are, but I know there is some field work that does not require a degree. I think they work with civil engineers and architects. Geometrics is the name of the field, I think. 

What about working for UPS? They have a lot of different jobs and have really good benefits. 

HVAC certification? 

Installing/maintaining home/business alarm systems

Pharmacy technician (independent work, but is with people all the time so it might not be a good fit, although hospital tech's don't work with the public. 

• Like 2

I would also consider whether a gap year would be beneficial. Some kids aren't ready right out of high school to go on to college, but given another year or two (which can be spent working and saving money, or doing volunteer work, internships etc...), many of those kids become ready. 

You may also find that Community College could be the next right step. You can continue to scaffold and help your student develop those skills in planning his work, and keep an eye on the social aspect as well. 

• Like 1

Also check with a local tech school. My ds has decided to weld. As parents, we are adjusting out thinking... They have many other options. He can DE at the tech school to try it out. The only downside is on the social end. Ds has found that there is a lot of drug use by the guys there. I'm not sure if it is any worse than the average high school, but it was a shock to the homeschool kid. He will be out after just one year (because he did DE) and making decent money (enough to live fairly comfortably).

For Air Force, do check into Civil Air patrol. As he makes certain levels, Billy Mitchell comes to mind, he qualifies for increased pay (and I think rank?) if he enters any military branch later. It is more than worth the effort!

• Like 2

I had a child with a similar profile.  He did plumbing for a few years, then went to engineering school.  He now has good social skills, can schedule his work, and thinks for himself.  No judgement from me. : )  I think your idea of looking at certificate and two-year programs is a good one.  There are lots of them out there.  Does his high school have any classes that would help him to run his own business later?  Accounting?  Entrepreneurial classes of some type?  What about professional driving lessons?  That would help keep him safe if he travels from job to job.  (My son had to drive from plumbing job to plumbing job.  It was hair raising at times.)  My son's high school guidance counselor did a really good thing - she made him take four years of math, even though only three were required.  She said if he ever changed his mind and decided to go to engineering school, he would have a hard time if he only had three, even though the third was pre-calc.  She let him sleep through an easy statistics class senior year instead of taking calculus, which looked pretty useless to us, but she was absolutely right in the end.  He would have had a hard time getting into his engineering program without that fourth year of statistics.  His college told us that.  So - if you can manage it, since he is technically oriented, try to get him to take four years of high school math, even if he can't see any use for it right now.  Good luck!

Nan

• Like 3

I had a child with a similar profile. He did plumbing for a few years, then went to engineering school. He now has good social skills, can schedule his work, and thinks for himself. No judgement from me. : ) I think your idea of looking at certificate and two-year programs is a good one. There are lots of them out there. Does his high school have any classes that would help him to run his own business later? Accounting? Entrepreneurial classes of some type? What about professional driving lessons? That would help keep him safe if he travels from job to job. (My son had to drive from plumbing job to plumbing job. It was hair raising at times.) My son's high school guidance counselor did a really good thing - she made him take four years of math, even though only three were required. She said if he ever changed his mind and decided to go to engineering school, he would have a hard time if he only had three, even though the third was pre-calc. She let him sleep through an easy statistics class senior year instead of taking calculus, which looked pretty useless to us, but she was absolutely right in the end. He would have had a hard time getting into his engineering program without that fourth year of statistics. His college told us that. So - if you can manage it, since he is technically oriented, try to get him to take four years of high school math, even if he can't see any use for it right now. Good luck!

Nan

Thanks, Nan. Yes, I highly agree with taking four years of math and fortunately, I believe he will want to do so anyway.

The professional driving instruction is not a bad idea. He just got his learner's, but I can see advanced driving as something he would take to. He got a boater's license this past summer totally on his own volition.

I am going to look into Civil Air Patrol. My nephew was in it for a while several years ago, but it...fizzled out? I'm not sure what happened. He just stopped being in it.

Quill, I am currently doing the same sort of brainstorming for my ds15. He is sophomore, but he is so burned out on school he is saying he doesn't even want to go at all.

I was looking at surveying. Looks like it requires passing a couple of tests to get certified. Lots of outdoor work but yet using brain power too. I spent a little time looking for a year or two year program to help him pass the test but haven't found it yet.

• Like 1

I would also consider whether a gap year would be beneficial. Some kids aren't ready right out of high school to go on to college, but given another year or two (which can be spent working and saving money, or doing volunteer work, internships etc...), many of those kids become ready.

You may also find that Community College could be the next right step. You can continue to scaffold and help your student develop those skills in planning his work, and keep an eye on the social aspect as well.

I would not mind Community College, but I am not a big believer in a gap year, except where the gap is being taken with very definite plans. Otherwise I'm too concerned that aimlessness sets in.

• Like 3

He sounds a lot like my nephew. After graduating from high school, he joined the Air Guard. It took 6 months to get to basic, so he had a gap semester :). His original plan was to become a fire fighter, using his advanced guard training. The air guard quit offering the fire suppression training before he got it though. So, he did something more like law enforcement training. After that, he took some college classes, but is now working full time on base. He has taken a 6 month position in the UAE that will begin in the spring.

All that to say, the military was a great jumping off point for him. He is still planning to continue college whenever he is available for a full semester, but he is also working, being well paid and enjoying the adventure of what he does. For a guy who didn't like academics, needs to move and be physical, it has been a great fit and I've been very impressed with how he has grown up since he joined. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Nan. Yes, I highly agree with taking four years of math and fortunately, I believe he will want to do so anyway.

The professional driving instruction is not a bad idea. He just got his learner's, but I can see advanced driving as something he would take to. He got a boater's license this past summer totally on his own volition.

I am going to look into Civil Air Patrol. My nephew was in it for a while several years ago, but it...fizzled out? I'm not sure what happened. He just stopped being in it.

CAP can be frustrating. The units are not allowed to do much due to regulations. They train and aren't allowed to use it for anything. The testing for advancement seems like it was written by some government idiot (which it was). In our state, many of the dc with high ranks are @55holes, and the adults in charge of them are even worse. But, if you are going into the military, it pays (literally) to have those qualifications. We've been involved in CAP for 5 or 6 years. Dh is fairly high up. He is absolutely disgusted by the idiocy and bureaucracy that is involved. But, he has stayed in it for the kids. To the best of his ability, he finds ways around the rules so that it isn't too boring. He has one dc right now who is about to drop out. He is definitely going military when he graduates high school. Dh keeps telling him that he needs to stay in until he reaches the Mitchell award. Just do enough to be able to reach it. Dc wants to quit and join...another group...that is actually allowed to do search and rescue. It won't give him any benefit for the military.

• Like 1

I would not mind Community College, but I am not a big believer in a gap year, except where the gap is being taken with very definite plans. Otherwise I'm too concerned that aimlessness sets in.

I suppose that could happen. My dh felt a gap year was immensely helpful for him (he took one between high school and college, mainly to work and save money but also for other reasons). I took one in the middle of college to get my head on straight and figure out what I was doing and where I was going, and it was immensely helpful for me as well. 

• Like 1

Many kids at our school who prefer the non-college route opt for tech schools, military, or immediately entering the work force in jobs ranging from factories or construction to retail/restaurant to farming.

Some of those who start working later change their minds and go to college.

Some who start college decide it isn't for them and head to the work force.

Taking the ASVAB is a great suggestion for letting him know where his strengths are.  Then start looking online at what tech schools offer.  See if you can find someone (not a recruiter) who is in the AF and let him talk with them about that field.  There'd be bonus points for talking with more than one person as we all can see things differently.  You can also start looking at what jobs are available locally to see if any of those would appeal to him.

A gap year to work isn't a bad idea.  Some find they like working and are in their niche - or just need to modify it a little.  Others get inspired to get a certification or degree once they find out they don't like working in jobs without one.

Similarly, the military is a great start for many if the lifestyle suits them.   

• Like 2

My son decided to go for a college degree when his younger brother found him a sufficiently interesting, hands-on program. Plumbing was slowing down in the recession, and he was feeling the effects of breathing solvents in tight spaces and horsing around cast iron boilers. I,m not sure his current job isn,t easier on the body, still being very hands-on, but he has been through college now, which we are happy about.

About in 10th grade, in an effort to get the second child interested in college, having failed with the first and having realized that my particular children were really rebels disguised as typical teenagers, people who were not going to go to university just because it was the next thing on the list, i began looking at exciting sounding college degrees. I found one at a 2 year college that was for guides of horse expeditions. It had course titles like Blacksmithing, and Back Woods Medicine. Although it was completely out of this boating family,s range of experience and he was highly unlikely to do the program, it served its purpose. It showed my middle one that graduating from high school and getting further training, a way to become qualified to do more exciting things. We looked for hands on, exciting programs for youngest, as well. And here I will say that I am now a big fan of general education requirements in college lol.

I think a gap year would not have worked for oldest. He would just have continued to dread college. What he needed was an alternative to college, something we all approved of and that would work in the long run. Plumbing was that. And he needed some years to grow. Not just one, but a number of them. Then, to go to college, he had to see that the effort was going to take him someplace that he wanted to go, and he had to feel that he was capable of managing such a sustained effort.

I think a gap year can be great for many people. I just don,t think it would have worked for oldest.

Nan

• Like 2

I know a couple of young people (including one nephew) who opted not to get a college degree, and eventually became underwriters for insurance companies.  I believe my nephew had one official semester of college.  Perhaps he dabbled in other courses here and there.  (maybe some business-type classes)  He started low in the company (not an underwriter) but proved himself and worked his way up.  It seems to be one of those jobs where you can do that still.  He has been working there for about 8 years now and has a nice, stable job.

• Like 1

I have been thinking about this a lot....because 18 years olds just usually don't have a clue which direction to go in.

I just don't know. I think ds is going to take an easy senior year and do a lot of volunteer work. After that year he might be more in the mood to think about jobs/training.

• Like 1

No judgement here. For one, I don't think we come in one-size-fits-all. Therefore, I don't think a 4year degree is doable for everyone. And two, I don't know if two of my kids will ever get a 4-year degree. They are still very valuable people. :)

My oldest went to our local CC on scholarships. He attended for 2 years, but didn't know what he wanted to do and didn't love the academic life. He got a construction job (and a wife), but didn't think he wanted to be doing physical labor when he was 40. So he joined the Air Force. It is a good fit for him and he likes his job (electronics on jets). But there are many jobs in the Air Force, maybe other branches too, that are kinda boring, such as cooking at the Dining Facility. According to my son (I'm sure others here know MUCH more about the military than I do) there is no guarantee you will get the job you want. He did, but some people he knows didn't, and they aren't thrilled with what they are doing. Also, your son needs to realize that it is a big commitment. My son was older when he went in and was ready for that commitment, but he needs to ask himself if he is really ready to make that kind of commitment (at least 4 years, and they try to lure you to do 6 for higher pay).

My youngest is dyslexic and school has always been a challenge. She is taking a CC class this year and doing very well, but she doesn't know what she wants to do either, and she doesn't want to continue with school at this time in her life. She is a senior and will graduate this year. I'm honoring her decision and going to try to support her however I can. She is a very hard worker and great with people and kids. She may go to college at some point, but I'm not forcing her.

Even my middle son, a junior mechanical engineering major, really wants to be a policeman or a fireman. He's going to finish college and he's doing very well so far, but he wants adventure and action. He doesn't want to work in an office. I think he would have joined the Army, but he can't eat gluten, and he was told they wouldn't accept him.

IIRC, your husband is in construction. Does your son have any interest there? My brother has done very well buying rentals because he has sweet skills and can do most all the work himself. He worked as a waiter, rented out the spare rooms in his own house so that his tenants were paying his mtg., and started buying rentals. Many of them he had to do work on before he could rent them out, but when you don't have to pay for labor, that can often be done inexpensively. He did his research, talked to many people who were already doing this, and he hasn't worked for someone else since he was 40. He is also very frugal. He did all this with only a CC education, which didn't help him at all in his real estate endeavors. We are not from wealthy parents, so he did this on his own. I'm very proud of him!

And one more story...I was a good student in high school (valedictorian), but only went to one semester of college before taking a break. I didn't know what I wanted to do either. My kids must have inherited this from me. :) I was a nanny in New Jersey for a year, then worked at a ski resort for 1.5 years, and then went back and got my bachelor's degree. I don't regret that time off at all. It gave me some fun experiences I wouldn't have had and it gave me focus.

Best wishes as you try to figure out the best path for your son!

• Like 1

A friend of mine's oldest got an online bachelor's degree in criminal justice, taking several CLEPs and many online courses.  After he graduated he worked as a security guard, then joined the Air Force.  He's in officer's training school, just finished basic, and is now an officer. 

It was a good path for him.  He is:

- a decent student, but not terribly academic; smart but not the intellectual type.

- the kind of person who learns things experientially (i.e., the hard way according to his parents).

- athletic - he played soccer from the time he was very young through college on rec teams, etc.  He also worked out in other ways.

His parents were a big part of the process.  I wouldn't say they pushed, but they definitely facilitated and were there all the way through.  The mom worked out many details of the online degree.  The process was not all smooth.  The young man ended up moving out during this time because of family dynamics/personality clashes/etc.

Best wishes figuring out what works for your son.  Being a guidance counselor/advocate for your student is tough, no matter what type of schooling he does. It doesn't end at high school graduation.

This young man seems very happy with his path.  I am very proud to know him; he is a nice person and has his head on straight.

• Like 2

People who have a trade tend to make good money because their skills can't be outsourced so they are always in demand, albeit with slow and intense variations depending on the economy.  I think that construction is on the dangerous side of the trades, but maybe becoming an electrician would be better.  Electricians in unions also build up awesome retirement benefits.  Working toward a general contractor's license would be excellent.

There is nothing about classical education that precludes working with your hands.  In fact, sometimes people who do that have more time to think about books. 

Another option might be a two year certification for medical technician type services--actually running the machines.  Lifestyle wise I know someone who runs an xray machine on third shift at a hospital.  Most of the time he is asleep.  When an emergency comes in he jumps up and does the xrays.  He can hike and birdwatch and read and hang out during the day, and then sleeps in the evenings right before work.  It's a remarkably peaceful life, punctuated by a few crises now and then.

• Like 1

A friend of ours was looking at this program in Virginia.

The Apprentice School at Newport News Shipyard.

My understanding is that the demand for workers qualified in shipbuilding trades is higher than the supply.  In particular there is a need for those who can work on higher security projects like US Navy warships.

http://www.as.edu/

• Like 1

IIRC, your husband is in construction. Does your son have any interest there? My brother has done very well buying rentals because he has sweet skills and can do most all the work himself. He worked as a waiter, rented out the spare rooms in his own house so that his tenants were paying his mtg., and started buying rentals. Many of them he had to do work on before he could rent them out, but when you don't have to pay for labor, that can often be done inexpensively. He did his research, talked to many people who were already doing this, and he hasn't worked for someone else since he was 40. He is also very frugal. He did all this with only a CC education, which didn't help him at all in his real estate endeavors. We are not from wealthy parents, so he did this on his own. I'm very proud of him!

Yes, Hiking Mam, DH is a Master Plumber and General Contractor. We also have rentals and properties we manage. Last summer, DS worked with DH on site and he liked it rather a lot. It is fine with me if he chooses that direction, but I don't especially want him to "fall" into that because he didn't plan well/we didn't help him find a happy path, KWIM? I was a Legal Secretary before I had kids and that was a good job, but I didn't choose it, I just tumbled into it by circumstance and lack of a better idea. That isn't so much what I want for my kids.

DS is also naturally frugal. I think he would be good at directing a business, as long as he has a Secretary who can write out a legible bill for him. ;) (Not unlike the arrangement with DH and me - we make a good team.)

• Like 2