Menu

Paris for 4 Days - what to do?

jen3kids

OP: You began this thread on the 4th of November and I wondered... Tonight, the Friday the 13th terrorist attacks in Paris are going on as I type this. France and Europe are full of Muslims. Some of them are barbaric Muslim terrorists. I suggest that your DH and his employer rethink the idea of him going to Paris, because of ongoing Security problems. I suggest that you stay home if he does go to Europe. The chance of something horrible happening to your DH if he goes to Paris are small, but there are risks. Check in with the ACS (American Citizen Services unit) in the U.S. Embassy in Paris, if your DH does go there and be sure to Register with them before the trip. Better for the people your DH was going to visit with in Paris to go to the USA and visit with him in his office in the USA.

What fresh hell is this? New York is full of Muslims too. There's millions of refugees on the shores of Europe and through the Balkans escaping from the same sort of violence brought to Paris tonight. Please stop hating on the Muslims.

My son is currently in Paris and I'm guessing he's still safer than at your average American school or movie theatre.

• Like 27

Of course I hope that Jen and her husband are safe, but Lanny, really, warning that "France and Europe are full of Muslims" and "barbaric Muslim terrorists" is not helpful. It is offensive. And one would hope that tonight of all nights one would try to have a little humanity.

I  should have taken more time to write what I wrote last night, but it still would not have been "PC".  There are enormous numbers of Muslims living in Western Europe today and that number is growing rapidly, with the influx of people from Syria and other countries.. My belief is that the vast majority of them are decent people. However, there is a minority of them, probably between 10 and 30 percent, who would like to kill all the Christians and Jews, and also Muslims who disagree with them.  I am, like many people, praying for Paris, and I am praying that something like what happened last night in Paris does not happen in the USA.  If and when something like that happens in the USA I hope the U.S. will have a very strong President in the White House. We must pray terrorists attacks like that will not happen again, but the reality is that they will happen again.    If the OP and her DH are in Paris now, they need to contact  the ACS in the U.S. Embassy. (I am assuming they are U.S. Citizens)

• Like 7

I  should have taken more time to write what I wrote last night, but it still would not have been "PC".  There are enormous numbers of Muslims living in Western Europe today and that number is growing rapidly, with the influx of people from Syria and other countries.. My belief is that the vast majority of them are decent people. However, there is a minority of them, probably between 10 and 30 percent, who would like to kill all the Christians and Jews, and also Muslims who disagree with them.  I am, like many people, praying for Paris, and I am praying that something like what happened last night in Paris does not happen in the USA.  If and when something like that happens in the USA I hope the U.S. will have a very strong President in the White House. We must pray terrorists attacks like that will not happen again, but the reality is that they will happen again.    If the OP and her DH are in Paris now, they need to contact  the ACS in the U.S. Embassy. (I am assuming they are U.S. Citizens)

Really, you could explain your point of view in a much more sensitive way by speaking negatively of Islamists and not Muslims.  That way you're not mixing up the decent people with the terrorists.

• Like 4

If you're going to state that up to a third of the Muslim immigrants in Europe are terrorists, you're going to have to back that up with some kind of source. Which I doubt you'll be able to find, because I'm pretty sure you're pulling that out of your a**.

• Like 26

Oh good grief.

On an education board no less.

Only time will tell whose prayers are stronger, yours or theirs.

Praying against the force of other prayers always cracks me up. Replace the hindu god with the muslim one, spelling bee with "live safe and free," and the point is the same:

dcfbabce726102f9f34a1cc33962dcd2.jpg

• Like 13

I keep checking to see if there is an update from Jen.

Ditto - continuing to pray for all those personally affected too... and wishing we could eliminate anyone's thoughts of terrorism/murder or similar.  I don't care what the source is in someone's brain.  It's a brain that is not thinking/reasoning clearly.

• Like 1

This article very eloquently says what I have been thinking, and why I haven't changed my FB profile picture: what happened in Paris was a terrible tragedy, but those lives lost were no more tragic than so many others that are in my news feed every single day. 

• Like 8

This article very eloquently says what I have been thinking, and why I haven't changed my FB profile picture: what happened in Paris was a terrible tragedy, but those lives lost were no more tragic than so many others that are in my news feed every single day.

I haven't changed mine either, and my reason is similar.

My daughter is majoring in French at college; she posted a prayer in French. I have that on my wall.

• Like 1

I'm guessing she's fine.  If more Americans were hurt we should have heard about it by now. Probably just keeping her babies close and not thinking about getting online to waste time with us.

I agree, she and her family were not hurt, but I am also concerned about their mental health. Did you see the video of the stupid idiots who set off firecrackers near the memorial in Paris yesterday?  :mad:

• Like 1

Yes, chances are slim that they were physically hurt, but I worry about them getting back home to family.  Also, I'm sure they are very much shook up---and that's putting it mildly, I'm sure.  Hoping they are/were able to get back home quickly, just for the sake of getting back to as normal as possible. 

As far as I could tell from the reporting, the only American killed was an exchange student from California. There was a story about her on NPR this morning. It was very sad, obviously. Just fyi...

So sad.

So sad.

The part where my heart broke was they talked to her professor mentor who had urged her to go to Paris as an exchange student.

I hope that the American press also begins to share some of the individual stories from the French victims. I think individual stories are part of what really can bring events like this into focus, make them more human. :(

I'm glad the implication of that is that the OP, Jenn, is probably okay. I hope she's safe at home by now.

• Like 5

Hi everyone,

Sorry not to update you all.

Yes, dh and I were in Paris during the attacks but we were in our hotel room and didn't know that the attacks had even happened until a friend posted on FB.  We spent the next 4 hours texting and emailing family to let them know we were ok.  

Our hotel was about 2-3 miles from the Bataclan Theatre and 4-5 miles from the Stade de France.

We flew home, as planned, on Sunday at noon.  We spent Saturday walking the city - up to the Arc de Triomphe and around that area.  We had intended to go to Notre Dame, Montmartre and a cruise on the Seine, but those were closed.  We refused to hide in our hotel room.

Thanks to all for your advice on what to do and for your concern about our well-being.  

We had a great time.  I went to Vimy Ridge on Thursday and highly recommend it to all Canadians.  It was very moving.

Friday we went to Musee D'Orsay and the Eiffel Tower.  I as happy to see the Van Gogh exhibit at D'Orsay and loved our climb up the Eiffel Tower - beautiful!

Jen

• Like 43

Hi everyone,

Sorry not to update you all.

Yes, dh and I were in Paris during the attacks but we were in our hotel room and didn't know that the attacks had even happened until a friend posted on FB. We spent the next 4 hours texting and emailing family to let them know we were ok.

Our hotel was about 2-3 miles from the Bataclan Theatre and 4-5 miles from the Stade de France.

We flew home, as planned, on Sunday at noon. We spent Saturday walking the city - up to the Arc de Triomphe and around that area. We had intended to go to Notre Dame, Montmartre and a cruise on the Seine, but those were closed. We refused to hide in our hotel room.

Thanks to all for your advice on what to do and for your concern about our well-being.

We had a great time. I went to Vimy Ridge on Thursday and highly recommend it to all Canadians. It was very moving.

Friday we went to Musee D'Orsay and the Eiffel Tower. I as happy to see the Van Gogh exhibit at D'Orsay and loved our climb up the Eiffel Tower - beautiful!

Jen

The Musée D'Orsay is the one I want most to see. I wrote a report on it in my French class and I find it very interesting. Additionally, I love Monet and D'Orsay reportedly has many Monet works.

So glad you and your family are well.