Menu

Poll for my son's science project

Shannon in TN

Milk consumed by families  

152 members have voted

1. 1. How many gallons a year does your family drink?

• 0-50 gallons
    • 51-75 gallons
    • 76-100 gallons
    • 101-125 gallons
    • 126 or more gallons
  2. 2. What do you do with the empty jugs?

• recycle
    • trash
    • other
  3. 3. Does your trash pick up service also offer recycling pick up?

• yes
    • no

I voted 0 - 50 but I have a couple questions about the poll.

1) What about those of who buy milk (to bake with or put on our cereal) but don't actually drink milk?  Which are you really asking about?

2) What about people who buy milk, but not in plastic jugs.  I am a plastic jug buyer, but don't often buy the gallon size.

For me, it didn't make a difference, since any of the wordings -- how much do you drink? how much do you buy? how many of those are in plastic gallon jugs? would lead to an answer of 0 - 59.

• Like 1

I voted that we drink up to 50 gallons a year. However, our milk doesn't come in plastic jugs. It comes in cardboard cartons that we then collapse and throw away as we can't recycle those. Also, our town has a "transfer station" rather than garbage pickup. Each resident takes her/his trash and recycling to the transfer station. 

We drink about 200-250 gallons of milk each year.

We recycle.

I voted "no" about the trash pick-up, but the real answer is that I don't know because we take our trash to the landfill ourselves.  I don't think that the neighbors have a separate receptacle for recycling, but I don't really pay much attention to their trash.  ;)

Our consumption is split between almond milk (me and DH) and organic cow milk (DS and occasional cooking needs). I'd guess well under 50 gallons per year. We also purchase a combination of cardboard cartons and glass bottles, never plastic jugs. The cardboard is recycled and the glass is returnable and reused. We have curbside for the recycling. The returnables go back to the store.

< 50 gallons here even when the boys were home.  But every plastic container in our house that can be recycled is recycled even though we have to drive about 15 minutes to the place where they get recycled.  Once we get a large enough amount, hubby takes them along with him as he's headed to a job site in that direction and drops them off, thus saving gas too.

I can't ever bring myself to trash things that can be recycled.  We'll bring plastic along with us for miles on trips if I don't see a place to recycle them.  I know we can back home (and I know the recycling place actually recycles them - they don't just trash it).

• Like 1

I can't ever bring myself to trash things that can be recycled. We'll bring plastic along with us for miles on trips if I don't see a place to recycle them. I know we can back home (and I know the recycling place actually recycles them - they don't just trash it).

Lol. We used to take huge bags of empty glass containers across the border because there was zero glass recycling in the province where we lived. We were always so nervous that border control would ask us about it, but we just couldn't bear to throw away glass.

• Like 1

1) What about those of who buy milk (to bake with or put on our cereal) but don't actually drink milk?  Which are you really asking about?

I assumed and answered based on how much we buy.  We don't actually drink any milk.  All milk we buy is for cooking and cereal.

We might consume about 1 gallon of milk a year.  We buy in small cartons throughout the year when we have visitors (who want milk with their tea or coffee). 

I do re-use the cartons to hold things - weeds the kids pick, pencils, rocks (for use as book ends in our school room!)

We have once-weekly recycle pick-up.  I think we put out our little recycle bin maybe once 6-8 weeks, if that. We don't buy a lot of stuff with recyclable packaging; most of what we buy is re-used or re-purposed for our own, immediate use. Because I'm Asian, and that's how we roll LOL.

My city's recycling accepts both plastic jugs and gable-top cartons now.

We do have the option of glass bottles with a deposit that go back to the store, but I don't usually choose to pay the increased cost.

0 to 50 gallons is a big range for the survey. We're probably at 45 to 50 gallons.

Our milk comes in liters, and we drink about 12 per week, which I think is about 3 gallons.  We recycle jugs or cardboard cartons if we have them, and that is picked up at the curb.  (And if we put them in the garbage, they won't take it at all.)  If we get glass bottles, we turn them in when we get new ones, or we get our deposit back if we don't want any more milk.

Make sure he knows his statistics from this poll may be slightly skewed, as the average number of children per woman on this board is likely higher than general society, with quite a few families who have 4+ skewing the results

With my 3 little ones, I generally buy 2-3 gallons per week. We usually throw it in the recycle bin

• Like 1

We also don't use plastic jugs, as they aren't available here. I wish they were. Instead I buy milk by the liter in plastic bottles and run out constantly just because I can't carry enough at one time to last more than a day or two. We do have recycling pickup, but to be honest, I have no idea what can and cannot be recycled here (no idea what facilities they have). I know I see office buildings with bins for paper, plastic, and aluminum, so I tend to put anything that fits in those categories in the recycling bag and let them sort it out.

I voted based on what we are currently doing: buying milk at the store and recycling the jugs with our regular garbage service (free recycling pick up). 

However, until very recently we were getting raw milk from a farm in glass jars that we would wash. The only reason we are not currently doing this is because of the cost. 

couldn't vote

we have a house cow and I milk it. we use plastic reusable jugs that we have used for years and years.

I typically get 6 litres of milk per milking we do not drink all of it  as there is that much fresh milk again the following day.I have no idea how many gallons as that is a unit of measurement I am not familiar with.