Menu

Idea: Lock threads that haven't been posted on for over a year.

kiana

Topic kinda says it all. Old but still-active threads can stick around.

Random people seem to google for something to offend them so that they can create an account and argue about it on a long-deceased thread. 

Also new members create, find a thread, don't realize that it's old and post asking for updates.

I can't think of a real reason to keep them open for posts, either. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what the negativity toward old threads is.  New people come here all the time and would like to participate in discussing old threads because they have a question related to it that wasn't covered.  Sometimes they want feedback on ideas they come up with based on the old thread.  Sometimes people wonder which feedback the OP of an old thread took and if it worked.

I think it's completely bizarre to lock it up or reply that it's a zombie thread as though someone is doing something unreasonable by engaging in the discussion now.   If you know it's a zombie thread and you don't want to engage in it at this time, ask yourself, "Did someone ask me to click on this?" Why not just ignore it?

• Like 3

It's much better to link to a locked zombie thread and then ask your new spin off question or update or whatever.  The reason is this:  some of the information is dated in the old threads.  I've had people start giving me advice on what to do with my elementary student - when both my kids are now teens.  Or they ask questions of people who no longer come to this board.  Even timeless threads are difficult because you have to wade through a lot of old stuff to get to the new and you don't know if you are responding to someone who is still around or who even still holds the opinion they had a year ago.  

The thing I don't understand is why people think their post is only relevant to them.  My point was that the information is applicable to lots of people, not just the OP.  They probably found the thread by searching for a key word because they needed that kind of information.  I don't see it as a problem to the OP.  The OP isn't under obligation to click on it in the future unless they'd like to. Meanwhile those that would like to discuss the information are free to do so.  The OPs who were looking for ideas might be interested in updating what worked. 

How is new people starting new threads about topics covered previously and people posting links to previous threads in response somehow better that people skimming over old replies (they are dated after all) and getting to the current stuff?

It's much better to link to a locked zombie thread and then ask your new spin off question or update or whatever.  The reason is this:  some of the information is dated in the old threads.  I've had people start giving me advice on what to do with my elementary student - when both my kids are now teens.  Or they ask questions of people who no longer come to this board.  Even timeless threads are difficult because you have to wade through a lot of old stuff to get to the new and you don't know if you are responding to someone who is still around or who even still holds the opinion they had a year ago.  

I agree with Jean.  It's annoying to thoughtfully compose an answer to something only to realize it's a zombie and that person no longer needs an answer.