Menu

Weird Moments in Halloween

sassenach

The kid peeing on the lawn thread makes me think we need a spot to share our weird stories.

We get over 500 trick or treaters every year, so there is always something interesting happening. Yesterday was a first. A lady came by with a dog in a wagon. They were both dressed up. She had no kids and told me her dog was trick or treating. As in she held out a bag and collected candy "for her dog." She then said she was collecting money for disabled cats. There was such a long lead up, I thought for sure she was going to say kids, but no, cats.

• Like 23

We had several parents taking their under one taking their child trick or treating. Each one came separately so they were not in a group. One kid was asleep. We had no idea who they were. Just seemed a little weird or candy grab for the parents. Then we had a group of adults trick or treating- no kids. The best was this adorable little girl about 18 months old who walked up to our blow up Minnie Mouse and was hugging her to death. It was cute.

• Like 7

We had several parents taking their under one taking their child trick or treating. Each one came separately so they were not in a group. One kid was asleep. We had no idea who they were. Just seemed a little weird or candy grab for the parents..

We had some of that too. The little kids weren't even dressed up. It was totally odd and obvious. I can't help but wonder what the parents would have answered with if I'd asked them if all that junk was really for their infant.

Quite a few kids weren't dressed up, actually. Or only partially so, like a mask but otherwise normal clothes. I'm not a big fan of Halloween anyway, but if you're not even going to make an effort, what's the point?

I had a couple older middle school girls come by who were being driven around the neighborhood. Ours is very walkable, well lit, and very safe and no one does this. Their first question was "So how much can we have?" I really had to bite my tongue. Grrr.

• Like 2

Why? When my son was that age he dressed up as his favorite hockey player (Rick Nash) and trick or treated on roller skates. It was a huge hit. :)

Where I am the sidewalks get very crowded with trick or treaters, so riding a trike would be a safety issue. 

• Like 4

My 2-year-old begged to ride her trike but I said no.

We saw a zombie on rollerblades. That's an extra scary costume!

This reminds me...

Late Halloween night we were driving somewhere and saw a guy in a creepy clown mask on a skateboard...the effect of dark + clown mask + silently gliding along was very eerie!!

• Like 7

There is a lady from church my kids adore so we had to go by her house. Her 80 something FIL lives next door so we decided to stop there too.

He is normally pretty quiet and kind of reserved. When we knocked, he jumped out wearing a creaky clown mask and a cape. It was hilarious and completely surprising.

• Like 10

A man came to the door with no kids in sight. It was kind of awkward, and I still wonder what in the heck he was thinking. Maybe he was casing the house? I hope not. He did have a costume on. Maybe he was a teen, but I didn't recognize him from DD's HS and he looked older than that.

• Like 2

We've been seeing adult ToT'ers since we moved into the city. Not a lot, but a few. Years ago, someone I knew went for her ds, who was away for a week at a special camp program. She just went along with friends and collected candy for him. I thought that was weird.

• Like 2

Some highs and lows from our night:

Highs were the little ones that were adorable. I especially loved the three year old that gave me a hug after giving her candy. She got 5 more pieces of Kit Kats and Twix after that. I also loved the probably 4-ish boy who came and when I said, "Hey, it's Buzz Lightyear!", he said, "no, it's still me, Isaac!"

Lows were the teenagers who ran through my flower bed and nearly pushed over a little guy to race to my front porch. They all got one (extremely generous!) Almond Joy and a mini-lecture about respect for other people's property and the little kids.

The strange were a mid-30s couple, not very dressed up, just some odd make-up streaks on their faces. No kids in sight, not with a group, and no explanation of gathering candy for a sick child, neighbor, or little one. Just "trick or treat." Ok then!

• Like 6

I had one mom going trick-or-treating with a baby who was too young to eat candy. The baby was wearing glasses, so obviously had some serious vision issues that might have made seeing all the costumes and festivity good therapy and the mom was in costume and barely out of her teens, so I thought, "Good for you!", handed her a "truffle for the teens", and thanked her for coming by.

I'll try to remember some 100% fruit juice gummies or little bags of teething biscuits or something else super toddler-friendly for next year. I remembered the teens, but not the new parents with babies. Doh!

One of my sons got a chocolate bunny last night.

Wrong holiday, people.

One year my teens and I did that on purpose: we saved candy in the freezer all year so we could hand out jelly beans, candy canes, conversation hearts, etc. and wish them a Merry Christmas and tell them that we hoped they would find four leafed clovers in their Easter Baskets when they got home.

We also made our jack-o-lantern out of a watermelon.

• Like 17

This was the first time I got an obnoxious group of trick-or-treaters.  (Usually we only get a handful of kids anyway - I guess walking up to the top of the hill isn't worth it.)

This pickup truck drives up to the end of the cul-de-sac and a group of 6 or so teen boys pile out from the bed of the truck.  They come up to me and I'm expecting them to say "trick or treat" and hold out their bags.  Nope.  They all reached their big hands into my bowl and took the biggest handful they could and walked away.  They left maybe 10 pieces of candy in there (I didn't have any more unless I raided my kids' stashes).  I was like, leave some for any babies that might come later!  Seriously?!  They go raid the house next door and then hop back in the truck so they can terrorize the rest of the neighborhood.

So now I know why some people think teens shouldn't be trick-or-treating.  :/

• Like 4

We TOT at a mall, and it was rainy outside last night.  My girls are older, but very well-mannered, and I have instructed them always to give way to little kids.  Anyway, the mall was incredibly crowded, and we saw examples of why some people think older kids shouldn't TOT.  There is a defined line for TOT at the mall.  We've done it for years.  Well-mannered people fall in line and TOT.  You approach the store from the right side.  We had some older kids passing on the left, cutting in and approaching the people handing out the candy from the opposite side, cutting in front of kids of all ages who stood in line, and hitting tons of stores in that manner.  They had parents with them who were just allowing, even encouraging this.

I'll be happier when it's a non-rainy Halloween night!

FWIW, we spent a while at the mall and ended up with not a ton of candy, but it's not like the girls needed a ton, so we left before TOT ended.

Well, it was my own little trick or treater who went skipping up a walkway, saw a "no soliciting" sign on the door, and turned back around. :lol:

(I explained to him that it was meant to keep away people who are selling things, not trick or treaters, and he went back.)

• Like 15

Our night was relatively uneventful. At the last house the family was so excited about my boys' costumes I heard the Dad say "give those boys another handful of candy!" My kids (6 and 8) were huge hits at most houses. They went throw back with Gilligan and the Skipper.

They entered 2 costume contests. Took 2nd in one of them but the other contest only gave out a 1st place which they didn't win. But I was so proud of them cause they got on stage and hammed it up. My youngest was Skipper and he did a great imitation yelling "Gilligan!" and hitting him with his hat. My oldest did a great Gilligan body shake thing (hard to describe in words). Anyhow afterward the announcer saw them and came over to say they were his absolute favorite of the contest! Made my day.

• Like 8

Weirdly beautiful and poetic moment: we were in between huge groups of ToTers, walking through a dark area, with leaves on the ground and a porch light in the distance. A young teen in a sheet with holes for eyes comes flying toward us, arms out, backlit by the distant porch light. He glowed. Then stopped and gently said, "Boo!" before running along. It felt like a Charlie Brown moment.

Our teens were all fun and respectful, and happy. We even had a Persephone in a homemade costume!

• Like 11

We went out with some friends in a different city, where lots of outsiders come in just for Halloween. We got to the first neighborhood just before 8 and there were lots of signs that they were out of candy already and the lights were out. We went to a different area and there was still plenty of candy, but it was pretty weird, I guess the first neighborhood must have been hit pretty hard right at the beginning. Some of them said they'd had over 1,000 trick or treaters!

We went out with some friends in a different city, where lots of outsiders come in just for Halloween. We got to the first neighborhood just before 8 and there were lots of signs that they were out of candy already and the lights were out. We went to a different area and there was still plenty of candy, but it was pretty weird, I guess the first neighborhood must have been hit pretty hard right at the beginning. Some of them said they'd had over 1,000 trick or treaters!

I think Halloween falling on a Saturday was to blame. We went through 6 Costco sized bags before 8. I was on my last bag and had to only give one candy at a time, which is lame, but we weren't going to make it through the night otherwise.

My one son sat on the porch to hand out candy - he wore his black leather biker jacket with spiked shoulders, a Hannibal Lector face mask, and since he has an e-cig (he is 24) he was able to blow forth large puffs of white smoke like a dragon. One little kid came halfway up our steps, took one look at ds, said "NOPE!" and turned and ran back down the steps.

• Like 9

Wrong holiday, people.

Halloween hasn't really existed in Australia until about 10 years ago, but it's beginning to happen here thanks to american TV and american confectionery companies pushing it.... but that's another story

The point is, before halloween existed here, christmas stuff appeared in the stores from the end of september, and while I'm noticing a shift to not bringing it out in full until november, in favour of halloween items, it's still definitely present and available from september onwards. So I know of quite a few people giving out candy canes and chocolate marshmallow santas to trick-or-treaters because that's what's in the store right now. Some people think it's hilarious, others just recognize the value of a big bag of candy canes lol. 

• Like 3

Weirdly beautiful and poetic moment: we were in between huge groups of ToTers, walking through a dark area, with leaves on the ground and a porch light in the distance. A young teen in a sheet with holes for eyes comes flying toward us, arms out, backlit by the distant porch light. He glowed. Then stopped and gently said, "Boo!" before running along. It felt like a Charlie Brown moment.

Our teens were all fun and respectful, and happy. We even had a Persephone in a homemade costume!

Reminds me of one year there was a teen or adult who dressed up very believably as the Grim Reaper, complete with scythe. He (she?) did not trick or treat, but merely walked slowly down the street, pausing to stare at groups of people, it was very unnerving.

• Like 7

If you bring a baby dressed in a cute costume to see me I will give you candy. Lots of candy. :)

One mom who was very obviously pregnant and taking two other little ones out for ToT held out her own bucket and said, "I'm eating it for the baby." That was creative! :-) 

I don't really care who gets the candy either.  I used to get annoyed at the older ToT'ers because when I was a teen I definitely felt like I was too old to go out by about 13-14...but hey, these days I just buy plenty of candy and give it out to whomever shows up. (Though I admit to giving obvious grownups or teens that aren't really trying to have a costume only one piece of candy instead of two...LOL!).

• Like 6

One kid, probably 13-14 years old, came to my door and smiled and said "trick or treat!"  I looked at him, in his black pants and yellow jacket, and said, "Wait, what are you dressed up as?"  He got a deer in the headlights look and said, "Uh... ... ... ...a highlighter."

I gave him one piece of candy for thinking on his feet.  There's no way he was "a highlighter" before I asked him.  :lol:

• Like 23

If you bring a baby dressed in a cute costume to see me I will give you candy. Lots of candy. :)

Yes, if that cute little baby with the Popemobile at the white house Halloween party had showed up at my house, he would have gotten a ton of candy.  LOL

• Like 3

One house we stopped at had their Christmas decorations out in full force- inflatable snowmen, Rudolph on the roof, lights in the bushes and the house. The man who lives there was dressed as Santa and sitting on the porch handing out candy!

Our neighbors, whose dd is good friends with mine, did that a few years ago. They dressed up as mr and Mrs. Claus. Their dds were horrified.
  • Like 4

Our neighbors, whose dd is good friends with mine, did that a few years ago. They dressed up as mr and Mrs. Claus. Their dds were horrified.

I think that's a great idea.  Kill two birds with one stone.  :P

There were some people trick-or-treating as Santa last night.

• Like 2

DD#2 just had her face made-up last night. So, I'm guilty of letting a pre-teen go out without a full costume.

What was up with all the boys dressed up like girl cheerleaders? I saw several.

We had one teenage boy show up. It was obvious that he was made to come along with his parents, little sister, and her friend. I asked what he was dressed as. He quipped that he was 'an angry teen.' He smiled after he said it, so I couldn't believe him. He didn't have a ToT bag, but I gave him a full size candy bar anyway. (We keep full sizers for neighbors & friends.)

• Like 6

Wrong holiday, people.

One Halloween my kids got that Christmas ribbon candy from someone.  They were the *big* boxes of them.  And I'm pretty sure they were not leftover from the Christmas 10 months before.  They were *very* stale and gross.  We still laugh about that one.

DD#2 just had her face made-up last night. So, I'm guilty of letting a pre-teen go out without a full costume.

My 9 year old really only had his face made up.  I've been mostly in bed for a few weeks now because of my prolapsed uterus and pain from that when I'm upright.  No one had a problem with it as far as I know.  His two brothers were totally in costume.  My 14 year old created their costumes.

The boys weren't planning to go out trick or treating since they had trunk or treat at church on Tuesday and another trunk of treat at taekwondo yesterday morning.  But my 7 year old Celiac got glutened Friday night and so he opted to stay home from the taekwondo party since he couldn't be far from a bathroom at that point.  By nighttime he was feeling a bit better so my 14 year old son volunteered to take the little guys out.

Apparently between houses that 7 year old was singing Taylor Swift's Bad Blood and before he'd say "trick or treat" and hold out his bag, he'd insist on finishing the line he was singing.  Several people were amused.

After they'd been out a little while it started to rain so every house they stopped at from then on gave them several handfuls of candy because they figured they wouldn't see many more kids after that.  So even though they didn't get to as many houses as they'd planned, they got tons of candy thanks to the weather.

But no Almond Joys or Butterfingers.  How can you TorT and get zero of either of those?!?!

• Like 2

A neighbor posted in our neighborhood watch FB group pictures of a kid emptying the candy bucket they had left on the front porch. They have a security camera that takes pictures whenever there is movement. They didn't show the kids face, but he looked to be about 8yo by size. They thought a public shaming was in order. :glare:

I leave my candy bucket out in hopes that someone will empty it. I'm disappointed if I get up and there's candy left. I don't need it. The last few years it's still had candy in the morning. This morning there were just a few pieces left.

• Like 2

There were some people trick-or-treating as Santa last night.

Last year, ds14 went as Santa on vacation. Santa beard and wig, Hawaiian shirt with surfing Santas on it, a lei, sunglasses, and shorts.

He got several laughs over that one. :)

ETA: Our weird moment was the 8(ish) y.o. girl who rang our doorbell at 10 p.m. Dh told her, "Sorry, trick or treat is over."

• Like 2

Our night was relatively uneventful. At the last house the family was so excited about my boys' costumes I heard the Dad say "give those boys another handful of candy!" My kids (6 and 8) were huge hits at most houses. They went throw back with Gilligan and the Skipper.

They entered 2 costume contests. Took 2nd in one of them but the other contest only gave out a 1st place which they didn't win. But I was so proud of them cause they got on stage and hammed it up. My youngest was Skipper and he did a great imitation yelling "Gilligan!" and hitting him with his hat. My oldest did a great Gilligan body shake thing (hard to describe in words). Anyhow afterward the announcer saw them and came over to say they were his absolute favorite of the contest! Made my day.

Love that costume idea and we would have rewarded with bonus candy here.

• Like 1

This year we got zero trick-or-treaters.  We usually don't get a ton, but at least a few.  I think it was a combination of pouring rain and a big pod in our driveway where our furniture is living until we get our carpets installed.  DH took the boys around and they were the first ones at many of the houses.  There just were many out in our neighborhood.  I thought it was kind of sad, I enjoy seeing the kids in costumes.

• Like 1

One year a group of kids stopped by. A boy in the group looked at me and said with a total straight face, "You smell better when you're sleeping". I gave him extra candy for being creepy.

• Like 5

Why? When my son was that age he dressed up as his favorite hockey player (Rick Nash) and trick or treated on roller skates. It was a huge hit. :)

She's such a new rider she'd be way too slow for her 6-year-old brother and our friends (2, 6, & 8). Her steering is not reliable. Plus steeply sloped driveways full of parked cars, big crowds, and the meltdown when she'd inevitably change her mind and want to go back for her "Lambie" and stroller instead (Doc McStuffins costume). Maybe when she's 3 :).

Both dh and I take the kids out trick-or-treating, so we leave a bowl of candy on the stairs leading to the front door. When we returned home last night we found our front door wide open. Not just unlocked, but all the way open. We had been out for almost three hours, on the one night of the year when we expect several people to come to the door, and we had apparently left our door completely open. Again. We managed to do this last year or the year before (can't remember which). In all the hustle and bustle getting the kids outside, lighting the pumpkins, taking pictures, somehow the last person out didn't shut the door.

Luckily, it looks like no one went inside. Nothing is missing. We are fortunate to live in a good neighbourhood.

• Like 5