Menu

Reading program that goes along with R&S Grade 2 English?

thefragile7393

I am currently doing R&S Grade 2 English with ds loosely for afterschooling for remedial (he is in 4th grade) and I was wondering if there was a reading comprehension program that would work with it that isn't R&S?  I don't know if pathways would be overkill or not.  He is a slow reader but decodes fairly well, yet his comprehension and understanding isn't very strong.

I would work with him on retelling back to you what he has read.  You could use the Pathway readers to do this.  I don't think you need any comprehension workbooks to go with it.  You could use any books or chapter books he likes really.  Retelling is a very effective way to build comprehension skills.

Another choice for quick reading comprehension exercises is to use the McCall-Crabbs Standard Test Lessons in Reading booklet or Reading and Thinking:  Exercises for Developing Reading Comprehension and Critical Thinking Skills.  Both of those booklets give very short passages to read and then a series of about 6 or 6 questions to answer about the passage.  The passages increase in difficulty as you progress.  That would take only about 10 minutes each day.  Very short and sweet, but teaches children to pay attention to what they are reading.

• Like 1

I would work with him on retelling back to you what he has read.  You could use the Pathway readers to do this.  I don't think you need any comprehension workbooks to go with it.  You could use any books or chapter books he likes really.  Retelling is a very effective way to build comprehension skills.

Another choice for quick reading comprehension exercises is to use the McCall-Crabbs Standard Test Lessons in Reading booklet or Reading and Thinking:  Exercises for Developing Reading Comprehension and Critical Thinking Skills.  Both of those booklets give very short passages to read and then a series of about 6 or 6 questions to answer about the passage.  The passages increase in difficulty as you progress.  That would take only about 10 minutes each day.  Very short and sweet, but teaches children to pay attention to what they are reading.

I will look into both..thank you so much!!!

I would try Pathway Readers. My DS has done really well since we started using them. They have a good storyline and characters that the kids seem to like. If you want comprehension books, Pathway has workbooks that are incredibly affordable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk