Menu

Very tight shoulder and neck muscles causing severe pain. . . any suggestions?

Rose in BC

I have been home three days from work pretty much unable to do anything because of severe knots in my neck and shoulder muscles.  i have fibromyalgia which exasperates things.

I have seen dr who prescribed pain meds and muscle relaxant drug. i'm a bit better but i expected after three days on those pills (and two massages) that things would be much better.

Anyone have any experience with this and any suggestions to hurry up the loosening of these darn knots?

Just rest the muscles as much as possible. I mess up my neck muscles really bad at least once a year thanks to the lingering effects of a car accident and whiplash eight years ago, and the more I lay on the couch trying not to move much, the faster I heal.  With neck muscles especially, it's hard for them to relax and unknot if they're busy holding up your head all the time. ;)

• Like 3

:grouphug:  I had a knot in my neck (bad, but just one of them) and in addition to giving me muscle relaxants, my doctor also gave me a set of neck and shoulder stretches to do.  I'm breastfeeding (and would have to stop while on the muscle relaxants), so I waited on the muscle relaxants and tried the stretches first, to see if they would be enough.  And they were.  I did them three times a day for the first few days, until the knot stopped hurting all the time, even when I wasn't doing anything.  And then I did them twice a day until my neck was just stiff but not hurting when I moved.  And I've been doing them once a day since.  There's still a bit of a stiff spot, but no pain and my range of motion is back.

I don't know how the fibromyalgia affects things, but here's the sequence of stretches.  Very basic things, and I was already doing some of them individually, but something about this particular order and timing really did the trick:

*with chin back, look left as far as you can and hold for five seconds, then look right and hold five seconds; repeat 5 times

*head down for five seconds, then head back for five seconds; repeat 5x

*tilt head to the left and hold for 5 seconds, then tilt head to the right and hold for 5 seconds; repeat 5x.

*head down and roll your head to the left, making three complete circles, then roll you head to the right three times.

*lift your shoulders to your ears, high as they can go, then pull them back as far as you can, then release back to neutral; do 20x.

That last bit with the shoulders - I'd *never* have done that 20x in a row on my own, but it *really* helped with shoulder tension.  I hope you can find some relief :grouphug:

• Like 1

I've never used this and in fact had never heard of it until a couple of days ago when there was a thread about it. But what about a Shakti mat? Apparently you lie on a literal bed of nails. The pain of the nails causes your endorphins to kick in and the blood to start flowing and your muscles relax.

I read mostly the negative reviews and it sounds like it could be horribly painful, but the positive reviews I read said that if you slowly build up to it and wear a light shirt at first, that it's completely worth it.

I can't give a personal recommendation, of course, since I've never used it.

http://www.amazon.com/Shakti-Mat-USA-Original-Orange/dp/B002TK7NVS

Here's the thread from 2 days ago:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/572260-if-you-know-or-dont-know-but-want-to-know-what-a-shakti-mat-is-could-you-stop-in-here-please/

• Like 1

Thanks for all these suggestions.  I am a tiny bit better than i was three days ago when i went to dr.  I guess i expected a miracle relief . . in two days.

This is definitely a wake up call that i have got to get into a stretching/strengthening routine to try and mitigate some of this muscle tension.

I have the same problem often and I have fibro.  My chiro keeps me alive and going.  But he's special.  He's the only chiro who hasn't hurt me.  My muscles get so tight that they pull the bones out of position.  

Other solutions:

muscle relaxants as a last resort but they don't do much for me.

Gabapentin - honestly this has cut my fibro pain in half.  And it has cut down on a lot of the muscle cramping I used to have.  

heat - epsom salt baths, Icy Hot, hot tub

these stretches - http://genesisortho.com/top-5-exercises-to-relieve-shoulder-pain/

What I do not do with fibro - 

massage.  Guaranteed to trigger a flare that lasts for days

trigger point therapy - see above.  

• Like 1

I have the same problem often and I have fibro.  My chiro keeps me alive and going.  But he's special.  He's the only chiro who hasn't hurt me.  My muscles get so tight that they pull the bones out of position.  

Other solutions:

muscle relaxants as a last resort but they don't do much for me.

Gabapentin - honestly this has cut my fibro pain in half.  And it has cut down on a lot of the muscle cramping I used to have.  

heat - epsom salt baths, Icy Hot, hot tub

these stretches - http://genesisortho.com/top-5-exercises-to-relieve-shoulder-pain/

What I do not do with fibro - 

massage.  Guaranteed to trigger a flare that lasts for days

trigger point therapy - see above.  

This is very interesting Jean because i do go for massage and the last few times i did have a lot of trouble afterwards.  in fact, i had a massage last week.  The day after massage the problems began.  i have never connected the two.  Thanks for this food for thought.

To do trigger point therapy, put a rubber ball, about the size you would give to a dog, in a sock. Sling it over your shoulder. Back up against a wall until the ball is snug between your back and the wall. Adjust the sock until the ball is resting at a tight spot and gently roll the ball around with your back, so that the ball is massaging the knot. Or you can have someone else roll the ball gently over the knots. Try to find and massage the spots with the "exquisite" pain. You will know what that means when you find it. Don't press too hard or you will bruise yourself.

• Like 3

I've never used this and in fact had never heard of it until a couple of days ago when there was a thread about it. But what about a Shakti mat? Apparently you lie on a literal bed of nails. The pain of the nails causes your endorphins to kick in and the blood to start flowing and your muscles relax.

I read mostly the negative reviews and it sounds like it could be horribly painful, but the positive reviews I read said that if you slowly build up to it and wear a light shirt at first, that it's completely worth it.

I can't give a personal recommendation, of course, since I've never used it.

http://www.amazon.com/Shakti-Mat-USA-Original-Orange/dp/B002TK7NVS

Here's the thread from 2 days ago:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/572260-if-you-know-or-dont-know-but-want-to-know-what-a-shakti-mat-is-could-you-stop-in-here-please/

Speaking from personal experience, this mat works wonders!!!  I use the pillow as well.  With shoulder and neck problems I recommend both.  There is a slight pain/discomfort from the "nails" at first (you do build up a tolerance though), but it provides glorious relief.  I've found muscle relaxants useless.  This mat and pillow, though, I wouldn't be without!  

And the chiropractor as well, of course.

Fibromyalgia is so individual so what benefits me may not be helpful to you, so ymmv.  I do massage, but not that close together.  I went for 90 minutes on Monday, and just came back from another 90 minutes today because I'm in a flare.  (Maintenance is usually every other week.)  I do have an increase in pain for one or two days after massage therapy, but then everything loosens up and I'm in less pain overall.  Xanax has muscle relaxant properties and works well for me.  I take it routinely at bedtime and increase the dose and frequency with flares.  Lots of rest is really important for me, as is moist heat therapy, and trigger points.  (Dry heat does nothing for me.)  Stretching is a must, and some mild activity every day also helps me deal with pain.  Once in a while I take Amrix, but again it's a last resort because it isn't something I could take every day.  High dose Wellbutrin XL was the neurologists recommendation for day to day help with pain since it also increases dopamine.

I had a horrible crick in my neck after I carried my 3 yr old in a ring sling, He had a Broken leg. I went for a walk, and walked until I could feel my shoulders and neck relax. This takes at least 30 minutes for me. My shoulders and neck are always tight. After that I took a hot shower, and everything popped and felt way better.

Now I do primary back stretch from ttap, and use a strap on the last part. It is awesome.

Fibromyalgia is so individual so what benefits me may not be helpful to you, so ymmv.  I do massage, but not that close together.  I went for 90 minutes on Monday, and just came back from another 90 minutes today because I'm in a flare.  (Maintenance is usually every other week.)  I do have an increase in pain for one or two days after massage therapy, but then everything loosens up and I'm in less pain overall.  Xanax has muscle relaxant properties and works well for me.  I take it routinely at bedtime and increase the dose and frequency with flares.  Lots of rest is really important for me, as is moist heat therapy, and trigger points.  (Dry heat does nothing for me.)  Stretching is a must, and some mild activity every day also helps me deal with pain.  Once in a while I take Amrix, but again it's a last resort because it isn't something I could take every day.  High dose Wellbutrin XL was the neurologists recommendation for day to day help with pain since it also increases dopamine.

Thanks for the reminder of the uniqueness of fibromyalgia for each person. 

Sometimes it is a discouraging condition. (okay all the time)

• Like 2

You can try an epsom salt bath.

Alternate cold and hot packs.  Make a reusable rice pack by filing a long tube sock with uncooked rice (any kind) and tie a knot in the end.  Nuke it for 2 minutes...then wrap in a towel (will be hot) and use.  Can reuse for about 6 months.

There's a gel I used to use as a massage therapist called Biofreeze which is wonderful.  Might be on Amazon.

Can do shoulder stretches as well.  My favorite is to stand an arm's length from a wall.  Put one hand on the wall and turn your body away from the hand.  Repeat with the other hand.

Now go towards the corner of a wall... and bend one of your arms and raise it in front of your body..  Put your elbow against the corner of the wall and turn towards the wall.

• Like 1

I go into flares where my neck and shoulders seize up and it can last several days. Ice is my best friend. Swedish massage really helps. Biofreeze is a useful product for right at the end of the massage. Ice massage really helps too. I've never found a muscle relaxant that actually works but others have had luck. I rely on nsaids like aleve,taken as directed. You have to be very vigilant about posture. Keep your face and especially your jaw as relaxed as possible. Do not clench your teeth, ever. Keep your shoulders low and follow instructions for gentle stretches of the affected region. When you watch TV sit with a pillow behind your low back and two on your lap where you can rest your arms. Do not give in to the temptation to slouch, hunch, twist, or tilt your body. Maintain proper alignment at all times. It is tedious but worth it. I hope you feel better soon!

chiropractor

That's the only thing that helped me when my neck got that bad.  First visit and I could actually turn my head again.  I was all better by the 3rd visit but insurance would pay for 6 so I went to them all.  Before that I would have the "episodes" every 6 months or so, my neck seized up and I wasn't able to turn or tilt it.  I haven't had any problems since(10 years).  I always thought it was just knots, which the worked on too, but I also had a misalignment, likely caused by a car accident I'd had in my early 20's. 

No fibromyalgia but I get bad neck and shoulder pain from an old injury sometimes. The best advice I've ever gotten was from a massage therapist who told me to stop stretching away from the pain and to instead relax into it. So, for example, if my right shoulder was hurting then I'd keep stretching it out, pulling my head to the left and extending that arm - both on purpose sometimes and unconsciously because that's where the pain is. Instead, I have to force that muscle to shorten by gently leaning toward the right and relaxing into that pain instead of stretching it out because it's tight. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does and I'm convinced it has helped many times.

Ugh, I am sorry.  I have always had a bad neck and it stinks.  Unlike most people, I can't use heat, makes it worse.  Icing is what works for me and Penetrex (an arnica based cream) helps some too.  I take Flexeril at bedtime when it is really bad, pain killers are useless for me.  And I live on ibuprofen, which does help as well.

Again, thanks for these suggestions.  Today i got out for a walk which was good.  I think its getting a bit better.  The most annoying problem i have is limited use of my left arm/hand.  I don't have any strength so I can't, for example, hold a cup of coffee in hand.  i guess the muscle must be pinching a nerve.  i did mention this to my dr at appointment.  She said it was related to muscle tightness.  Its a bit disconcerting.

Anyone experienced that (loss of full use of arm/hand)?  if so, how long did it last?  

• Like 1

Again, thanks for these suggestions.  Today i got out for a walk which was good.  I think its getting a bit better.  The most annoying problem i have is limited use of my left arm/hand.  I don't have any strength so I can't, for example, hold a cup of coffee in hand.  i guess the muscle must be pinching a nerve.  i did mention this to my dr at appointment.  She said it was related to muscle tightness.  Its a bit disconcerting.

Anyone experienced that (loss of full use of arm/hand)?  if so, how long did it last?  

Hope you start feeling better soon. :(

Maybe you should get another opinion about your arm losing strength. It sounds quite concerning to me..

Moist heat from a pack filled with flax seed that you microwave. Magnesium--such as from Carolyn Dean's site, I think it's ReMag, very concentrated, ultra-fine, goes straight to cells, not into gut. Topical magnesium from Ancient Minerals, available at Radiant Life blog and store. Again, no gut issues. Essential oils which are antispasmodic, diluted in olive oil. E.g. fennel, basil, others. Feel better!

I carry all my tension in my neck and shoulders.  I did massage therapy and that helped but it took a lot of time each week (90 minutes).  I started going to the chiropractor the day before the massage therapy and it worked so much better, and faster.  Now I go to the chiropractor more than the massage therapist (other issues) but when I want it allll better, I do both, one day after the other.  It's about time, come to think of it.  :0)

I hope you feel better!

When I was originally injured and then once later not long afterward, I experienced that - though not to that extent. More like, I couldn't lift a heavy book or a bag of groceries. It was basically muscles pinching a nerve. A couple of weeks though it slowly got better. It was really annoying and actually it was scary - I was really young and sort of freaked out by it.

I haven't had anything like that in years. There came a time when my neck and shoulder issues felt like they were getting worse and I read how if you've ever had whiplash that it can do that years and years later and I sort of freaked out about that. But then I started yoga and it has helped me so, so much.

Anyway, I hope you keep steadily improving and that you're able to feel better soon. And, you know, hold things. Holding things is kind of essential.

Glad you are starting to get some relief. I have been going through this myself. I think mine is caused by tension related to my school assignments. I think it is made worse by screen time-either lap top or phone, so I am trying to limit those.

I am glad you posted- I need to look into stretching exercises. I have been moving my neck and shoulders periodically and notice it loosening when I do that.

Hope you continue to feel better.

I don't have fibromyalgia but I do get tight muscles in my neck and back.  I use a softball but a baseball or lacrosse ball will work.  I sit in a recliner or on the bed or floor and roll it across my back using my back and neck to put weight on it.  I can even do this in the car.  When I get a sore spot I leave it there longer.  Look up smashing, you can also use foam rollers to do this.