Menu

Your kids - juggling work and school

BlsdMama

I'm curious of everyone's personal experiences with their kids juggling work with school.

I was *adamantly* against DD working while going to school.

When our homeschool group sent out a request for applicants for the opening Chik-FilA specifically directed towards homeschool kids, we discussed it and decided she could do 10-15 hours/week.  

She has been working 20-30 hours a week, which I'm not super thrilled about.  *HOWEVER* oddly, it's seemed to make her more focused.  Because of the limited time to study, commute, and work, she seems to be using her time better than ever before.  Juggling was really hard for her freshman year. 

She's taking 17 hours this semester, 2 of them honors classes, and is handling the workload quite well.

Is that what you've found as well?  I'm really surprised frankly and she's embracing this busy season of her life.  (It helps that she adores her co-workers.)

Well no experience with my own kids, but I worked nearly full time while going to school full time.  Was it ideal?  No it was a bit too much, but I did well in school.  This is probably going to depend a lot on the major.  I couldn't have hacked working those kind of hours if I had majored in something more grueling than psychology.  It does definitely make you focus and be very wise with managing your time.

My youngest is a competitive gymnast, works about 20 hours/week and keeps up with school. Is it too much - YES! But she is keeping up and making good grades. Unfortunately, she is always tired and never has free time. I've suggested cutting something, but she wants to keep what she is doing and so far she is doing it all well, so we let her. I do think that a busy schedule builds organization and time management skills.

• Like 1