Menu

Zippers - how hard are these to sew?

Vida Winter

Yes, YouTube is your friend.  My mom was an expert seamstress and she had me sewing my own clothes and costumes since my teens.  But, any time things got complicated, instead of teaching me how to do it, she would just do that part herself.  Since I never learned these things, I wasn't able to teach them to my daughter when she was starting to sew her 4-H projects.  We have found everything we have needed from YouTube. 

One of dd's first projects was to sew a felt poodle skirt for herself for Halloween.  While we were able to sew in the zipper with a machine, we had to hand sew the waistband because it was just too thick with that fabric. 

Do you have Washaway Wonder Tape? It's magical for zippers and other stuff that moves when you're trying to sew them. If not, sometimes a regular washable glue stick works. But I guess you're not going to be washing felt anyway, so just find something to stick it in place before sewing. If you don't have anything that won't gum up your machine, hand basting is worth the few extra minutes.