Menu

Store to pay their employees to NOT work on Black Friday

MyThreeSons

Good for REI.  DH is friends with a couple who works for them and for years they haven't been able to see family for Thanksgiving b/c they can't travel, they have to be at work at 5am on  black Friday.  Thanksgiving for them is always very small, just the two of them and very early. They don't really have a special dinner, just what is simple.  They try to be in bed by 5pm to get prepared for the insanity the next day.

Maybe this year they can have dinner with one of their families.

This makes me smile, though I don't have an REI to shop at near me.

The past two years I purposed to only do my Christmas shopping at stores that were closed on Thanksgiving.  It was kind of a fun challenge at times, and as stores would pop up on the closed list, I would happily add them to my list of possibilities for all my holiday shopping.  I have every intention of doing the same this year.

The thing is, it started as a challenge to myself with only Christmas gifts, but then I found as the year went on and normal life resumed, that list of stores were always where I started when I had a need to go shopping.  Occasionally I do still have to make my way into Wal-Mart or Target, but whenever possible, my consumer dollars go first to the retailers who remain closed for Thanksgiving Day. 

• Like 1