Menu

Tutoring algebra to a resistant HSer, need a review curriculum!

Hello, Wise Home Educators!

I need your help. I homeschool my littles, but have been asked to tutor my 15yo nephew in 9th grade algebra. He has been doing A Beka with videos with my MIL, but hasn't seemed to retain the background knowledge needed to do algebra. He can add and subtract large numbers in his head faster than I can on paper. He can multiply and do simple division but doesn't know when to do which. He doesn't display any understanding of the basic concept of fractions, negative numbers, or decimals, although my MIL still remembers them from teaching them. We've been working through Khan Academy, but he won't do any work when I'm not sitting with him, which happens twice a week. 

So, I'd like to find a book/curriculum at his level for a review of the math concepts he doesn't remember that explains concepts step-by-step, but won't take us 4 years to get back up to algebra. I'm hoping if we go back to a place where he feels confident, some of the resistance will fade. I had read on the forums here about a math program that uses money to explain math concepts, but I can't remember what it was called or find it on a google search. 

Edited to add: I found it! Learn Math Fast. http://www.learnmathfastbooks.com/  Any reviews or recommendations on using this? It seems pricey. O.o

Thank you in advance for all your ideas, advice, and input!

-rockport-

• Like 1

Spending a lot on books for someone who does not seem to care does not seem like money well spent.  I would try to dialog with him to understand what he possibly wants to do in the future and somehow relate that to his studies.  Fifteen is a tough age for boys.

• Like 5

I was going to suggest Aleks. Katilac beat me to it. It is particularly useful for review, brush-up, cementing concepts. As a side plus, dd21b has used it in several of her college classes. Being familiar with it from high school was quite beneficial. Plus, free trial! If it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything.

• Like 4

When my dd needed some brushing up on basic arithmetic concepts, I bought Barron's Arithmetic the Easy Way. I got it based on the excellent reviews on Amazon from adults who had used it. It covers addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals and percents (I don't think it covers negative numbers, though.) It's not a huge book, and is designed to get you up to speed quickly. It's also quite inexpensive. Here it is on Amazon, with the reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Arithmetic-Easy-Way/dp/0764129139/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446073349&sr=8-1&keywords=barron%27s+arithmetic+the+easy+way

(As a side note: we are done with our copy, and it's still in like-new condition since dd only looked at a small portion of the book for a very short time. PM me if you are interested.)

• Like 2

Spending a lot on books for someone who does not seem to care does not seem like money well spent.  I would try to dialog with him to understand what he possibly wants to do in the future and somehow relate that to his studies.  Fifteen is a tough age for boys.

+1 

If he has no interest/motivation to learn, DO NOT waste your time and energy on someone like that.

He sounds like he needs a comprehensive Pre Algebra course and is in over his head at this time.

• Like 2

I agree with those who have said it sounds like he has a motivation problem, however, if every teenager with motivation issues was written off, well lets just say we'd have a lot of teens that would never make it through high school math. I think discussing what is going on, what his goals are and maybe why math is or isn't worth it to learn would be a good starting point. 

I agree he sounds like he's in over his head which is why I didn't recommend Aleks or Keys. Finding where he got lost and getting him caught up will have to be the first priority. The next step is making sure he is working consistently, not just the days you are there, or he will just continue to flounder.

Don't give up on him, but do engage in a serious conversation about where he is, where he is going, and how the heck he plans to get there.

• Like 4

Has he had any testing? Could he have a learning issue of some kind?

His bad attitude about math may very well have developed because he does have an undiagnosed learning issue. It can be really demoralizing to keep trying but concepts or procedures don't stick. After a while a lot of kids kind of give up because it is too painful to keep caring, keep trying, but still make very little or very uneven progress, KWIM?

• Like 5