Menu

Bordering on blasphemy: decluttering books

Seasider

Have you tried one? You don't have to pick only one or the other, you know. ;) E-readers are great for traveling. Or really any time you're going somewhere and you want a selection of books available without having to pack your purse full of thirty pounds of paperbacks. Or if you want to read The Stand or The Riverside Shakespeare anytime, lol. I'm as diehard of a bibliophile as they come, and I love my Kindle. It's also much easier to read in the dark. Regular books aren't backlit. 

I have.  I retired a few years ago from a job that involved weekly air travel.  One project I worked with a guy who was with a die-hard Kindle fan, who - every trip, every week - would just try to sell me on the idea of an e-reader. It's like he took my choice personally (in the sense that I must be living in the technological Dark Ages), and he made it his personal mission to enlighten me LOL. 

Seven months into our project, when she came to meet him at the airport, she handed me a gift bag. We might normally exchange wine or something with the "home" (real) spouses of our "work" spouses (colleagues) at the end of a long project, but never a gift and not mid-project. It was weird.

It was a Kindle, and in her card she asked me to please, for the love of God, take it on our next trip out because she was sick and tired of his complaining at home about how I was lugging paper books across the ocean every week. :lol: And I did! Tried it, hated it.

I still travel (for leisure) every month and still have zero problems just bringing a long books to read. But I also don't read in the dark!