Menu

Spanish 1 Curriculum for High School

Are you still doing the French?  Or switching to Spanish?  If French didn't work out, was it using a standard public school text?  Or not having enough individual support, ie a tutor, etc?  Those answers might help people suggest a more workable Spanish program.

The best foreign language program will involve a spoken component. I could teach my kid lots of vocab & grammar concepts in Spanish, but if she didn't have someone to correct her (my!) pronunciation, or practice with, it was pretty useless.

If your kid is an absolute beginner, Getting Started with Spanish is a great start. A high schooler should be able to finish the whole book in a few months (or less) of daily work. (Don't do one lesson per day. Just work for 45-60 minutes every day.) Don't forget the free audio downloadable on the website.

Move onto Practice Makes Perfect -- picking one book to start with and adding more if they fit your learning style. 

Grammar

Vocab

Conversation

A completely different approach would be Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish. So, if GSWS or the Practice Makes Perfect approach isn't good, try Madrigal's.

• Like 2

We like Visual Link Spanish here. I have Levels 1, 2, & 3 and then he's going to do Destinos after that for some more practice with understanding native speakers. It's not terribly inexpensive, but it is definitely independent and it helps them practice their spoken Spanish. It's a software program, so you have to download it, but it's not online.

• Like 1