Menu

Need recommendations for a good microscope up to $1500

I have a nice one that I'd like to sell, as we no longer need it.  Still have the packing and box, spare bulb, 4-5 boxes of various slides and some blank ones with covers, a good solid homeschooling microscope that is in near perfect shape :)  PM me and let me know if you are interested.  I believe it's the previous model of this current one(I'm not at home right now to check)  http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=004942&subject=Science/11&category=Microscopes+and+Slides/3097   

• Like 1

Your maximum  budget is WAY to HIGH for this item!  I would suggest that you take a long and hard look at the Celestron 44104.  "A lot of bang for the buck"..  Save the rest of the maximum budget for something in the future. GL

Amazon is temporarily out of stock. This morning it is $100.63 including Free Shipping in the USA.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q768K8?keywords=celestron%2044104&qid=1445605908&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

• Like 4

Your maximum budget is WAY to HIGH for this item! I would suggest that you take a long and hard look at the Celestron 44104. "A lot of bang for the buck".. Save the rest of the maximum budget for something in the future. GL

Amazon is temporarily out of stock. This morning it is $100.63 including Free Shipping in the USA.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q768K8?keywords=celestron%2044104&qid=1445605908&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I agree! This is the one we have and its better than the ones I used in high school. I found mine at a flea market for like $15, still in its box and was terrified I was wasting money... But it turned out to be one of my best homeschooling bargains to date!

• Like 1

I agree with PP that you don't have to spend anywhere near that much to get a really fabulous professional microscope these days. That is great that you have such a huge budget, but just know that you can get ALL you need (and more!) for <$300.

We started out with this one:   (up to 80x, great for looking at random stuff from the yard, etc.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080IH1XS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

and have recently graduated to this one:    (up to 2000x, great for looking at cells, etc. - it will definitely take us through high school)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MX03Q0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

We only got the second one recently, but so far so good. I'd also get your DS some good books on using a microscope, since using the higher lenses requires some special slide prep and not knowing what you are doing could lead to frustration (and maybe damage to your scope).

Have fun! You will have tons off leftover $$ for other awesome stuff :-)

• Like 1

This is what they have in the labs at the college where DD does her work. She has one at home surplused from the lab when they got these. Having said this, this is overkill by far for a single student. These are purchased expected to be used a lot and probably for a decade or so before they're replaced.

http://www.carolina.com/compound-corded-microscopes/motic-ba310-advanced-research-microscope/591075.pr?question=

• Like 3

I don't have much to add.

Last year w bought a $250 stereoscope from amscope. It's amazing I love it. This year we had access to a friend's stereoscope that was bought for a business. It currently resides on her counter (husband owns the business). I'm certain it cost well over thousand dollars. It is AMAZING. so much better than mine. Everything's so much sharper and brighter. The detailing is clearer.

However, and that's a very big however, I really believe mine is efficient for anything that we will need. I think your budget is too high, and I would use some of those funds to buy books on microscopes and a variety of interesting prepared slides. But maybe you need more detail than a $300 scope?

what do you need a microscope to do? how much detail do you really need? Realistically, how often will it be in use? How many people are using it?

I picked up a brand new microscope with all the capabilities of the microscopes I use with my college students for $200 on Amazon. It's not a cheap microscope despite the price tag. It's solidly built, the body is metal, and the lenses are well-made. I honestly see no difference in the quality, and it will last your son all the way through college and grad school if he takes care of it. There is really no reason to spend the amount of money you have budgeted, as those found in the $200 to $250 range are quite capable of even microbiology work (anything more detailed than that you won't be doing with a light microscope anyway).

Edited to add: I purchased an optical OMAX (no digital abilities built in, although a digital camera kit that fits into one of the ocular tubes is available for less than $40 from the same company - PLUS, the company has a great reputation for customer service, which is always important when you don't have the purchasing power of a major university backing up your complaints, not that I've had any).

Agree you budget is overkill.

Take at look at the microscopes Home Science tools sells - they also have a bunch of info on how to pick a microscope. You don't need the very top end of quality, but high quality is very good. Most/all high school microscopy is done without oil immersion.

You can find similar scopes elsewhere, but HST is a very good starting as well as a good company to buy from.

• Like 2

Like dmmetler, I was able to get a college surplus microscope, though ours was from ebay.  It's a National Optical, and I think it was the model used by the guy who wrote the Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Experiments.  Remember on ebay you can do a saved search and have it send you emails when new listings are made with your search terms.  Then you can watch and see if anything pops up.