Menu

Kindles on Sale...PaperWhite or Kid's Bundle?

umsami

So Amazon has all of their Kindles $20 off.  We have a Kindle Fire that's about 2 years old, and while I enjoy it, it doesn't hold a lot of books because of the memory used by the operating system of the Fire.  So, I've been thinking about a regular old Kindle for reading.

For those of you who have the Paperwhite, is it worth it?  One thing I do like about the Kindle Fire is the light factor. I can read in bed at night (or the kids can.)

The other one I'm looking at is the kids' bundle, which is a normal Kindle, plus case, plus 2 year protection.

Of course, part of me says wait for even better deals closer to Christmas.

You could go ahead and get a Paperwhite and the protection plan added to it and it would cost about same as a not-on-sale Paperwhite. :)

My kids aren't quite ready for Kindles yet, but I do adore mine. I use it on a daily basis and vastly prefer my regular reading on it than in book format. I had a Paperwhite and upgraded to a Voyage, so the Paperwhite is now the "family" Kindle, which means right now it is mostly dh's Kindle. When they are old enough to need their own, I will be getting them Paperwhites (unless there's something different by then). The lit screen is perfect and they can read at night without disturbing their sisters that way. 

• Like 1

Also, you can always get a square trade warranty on the paperwhite! I have it on mine, and when it broke (okay, fine, I broke it....long story, but not a defect of manufacturing, this was all my fault) they sent me the money to replace it and I bought a new one at Best Buy. I think they sent it paypal, if I remember right. Or a giftcard or something, I forget now. But it was quick. I adore squaretrade!

• Like 1

This pretty much sums up my feelings :lol: I love the light feature particularly--it's just so convenient, and the backlighting is a pleasure to read by. 

I love my Paperwhite. I read my Kindle in bed all the time so that it doesn't wake dh.  

Oh, and it is front-lit, not back-lit like many screens.  This makes a difference with eye fatigue.  Plus, this feature also makes it much easier to read in sunlight. 

• Like 1

The Fire does disrupt our sleep rhythms if read in bed.  It gave me insomnia even on the dimmest setting....just made it hard to fall asleep at a normal hour after staring into the light for long.

However, the Paperwhite doesn't run any of the educational apps available for the Fire, nor does it play audiobooks or music.  If you and the kids are big readers, go for the Paperwhite.  If you want games and things to listen to, go for the Fire.  Getting the Fire as a Kids' Bundle is worth while, because they do drop devices.  If you don't get the Kids' version, do buy an Otterbox or such to protect it from falls.

• Like 1

Those with a voyage and a paperwhite, can you tell me what you love about the voyage? My dh keeps trying to be nice and get me a voyage, but I love my paperwhite so much I can't imagine liking anything more. 

I don't know about the newest Paperwhite, since mine is a generation old, but the thing I like most about my Voyage is that it has touch screen and still has the page turning buttons on both sides. I hated reading with my left hand and having to tap the screen all the way across to make it turn the page. A minor thing, but it bugged me. It is also faster than the Paperwhite and feels more solid and the screen is higher resolution. It doesn't have a recessed screen so dust doesn't accumulate around the edges. But yeah, the buttons on both sides are what made it for me.

• Like 2

I don't know about the newest Paperwhite, since mine is a generation old, but the thing I like most about my Voyage is that it has touch screen and still has the page turning buttons on both sides. I hated reading with my left hand and having to tap the screen all the way across to make it turn the page. A minor thing, but it bugged me. It is also faster than the Paperwhite and feels more solid and the screen is higher resolution. It doesn't have a recessed screen so dust doesn't accumulate around the edges. But yeah, the buttons on both sides are what made it for me.

Huh, never had one with buttons. So, do you ever accidentally turn the page while holding it? Would it work inside a case?  I have a folding, leather case for my paperwhite that i like...it turns the paperwhite on when I open the cover and off when I close it, and I can prop it up on my desk. Hmm. 

• Like 2

Huh, never had one with buttons. So, do you ever accidentally turn the page while holding it? Would it work inside a case?  I have a folding, leather case for my paperwhite that i like...it turns the paperwhite on when I open the cover and off when I close it, and I can prop it up on my desk. Hmm. 

Yup, I have a magnetic case too that turns it on when I open it. I don't accidentally turn pages unless I'm moving it around while open when not reading it, and then it is just as likely that I accidentally do it by touching the screen as the side buttons. You can change the sensitivity of the buttons, so if you tend to accidentally push them, you can make it more difficult. The buttons are in the same place as the old Kindle Keyboards, although like I said, they are touch. Maybe because I had one of those before my Paperwhite, it made it more obvious what was missing? 

ETA: This is the case I have. If you look at the picture of the voyage, you can see the line with the dot above it on the side of the screen. Those are the page turning buttons and the line turns the page forward while the dot goes back. Both sides have them. The Voyage also has it's power button on the back of the Kindle, which I prefer. It is slightly easier to turn on. Again, not a big thing, but a better design imo.

http://www.amazon.com/OMOTON-Thinnest-Lightest-leather-Display/dp/B00MVU8GWQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1445432547&sr=8-13&keywords=voyage+case

• Like 1

Yup, I have a magnetic case too that turns it on when I open it. I don't accidentally turn pages unless I'm moving it around while open when not reading it, and then it is just as likely that I accidentally do it by touching the screen as the side buttons. You can change the sensitivity of the buttons, so if you tend to accidentally push them, you can make it more difficult. The buttons are in the same place as the old Kindle Keyboards, although like I said, they are touch. Maybe because I had one of those before my Paperwhite, it made it more obvious what was missing? 

ETA: This is the case I have. If you look at the picture of the voyage, you can see the line with the dot above it on the side of the screen. Those are the page turning buttons and the line turns the page forward while the dot goes back. Both sides have them. The Voyage also has it's power button on the back of the Kindle, which I prefer. It is slightly easier to turn on. Again, not a big thing, but a better design imo.

http://www.amazon.com/OMOTON-Thinnest-Lightest-leather-Display/dp/B00MVU8GWQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1445432547&sr=8-13&keywords=voyage+case

Ooh, i get it. Hmm. Will have to try to get my hands on one to check out. Often DH's coworkers have the latest in tech gear, maybe he knows someonw with one. I remember trying an early kindle with buttons and not liking it, it was awkward for my hand. But this looks better than that. 

• Like 1

I am trying out the voyage and I read too fast for it :lol: Also I didn't realise I own so many free kindle books so having a hard time now downloading classics onto the voyage for my DS10.

Later I need to set up collections on my kindle fire to make my life easier.

• Like 1

I am trying out the voyage and I read too fast for it :lol: Also I didn't realise I own so many free kindle books so having a hard time now downloading classics onto the voyage for my DS10.

Later I need to set up collections on my kindle fire to make my life easier.

Have you had a Kindle before? The Voyage is faster than any of the previous ones I've tried. I have noticed, however, that with each new Kindle I go through an adjustment phase of a few days where I'm hyper-conscious of the page-turn lag. It's not even really a lag, but there's a moment where the page changes over, and it takes me a while to stop noticing it with every page turn.

• Like 1

Ooh, i get it. Hmm. Will have to try to get my hands on one to check out. Often DH's coworkers have the latest in tech gear, maybe he knows someonw with one. I remember trying an early kindle with buttons and not liking it, it was awkward for my hand. But this looks better than that. 

I think some brick and mortar stores have them too, don't they? I'm sure I've seen at least some Kindles at Wal-Mart and Best Buy.

I like the Voyage better because I found the Paperwhite didn't want to recognize when I'd tapped or swiped. It worked fine for my husband and my mother, but it didn't like me. It was frustrating tapping the screen multiple times to get it to change. I got a Voyage for my birthday, so I could have the buttons and not need to tap multiple times. It turns out that the Voyage's touchscreen is much more responsive to me, and I can use either the buttons or the touch screen without problem. I don't have mine in a case.

It did take me a while to get used to having to use the upper buttons to go backwards. There are four buttons--two longer ones on the bottom and two shorter ones above those. My natural inclination was to tap the lower left button to go back because I was always squeezing the lower right one to go forward. I adjusted eventually. It is nice to have both kinds on each side for one-handed reading.

One other thing about the Voyage buttons is that you don't tap them so much as press or squeeze there. You can adjust the sensitivity needed to make the page turn from pretty light to a decisive squeeze. You can also adjust how much vibration you want as feedback that the button activated (I have mine off).

• Like 1

Have you had a Kindle before? The Voyage is faster than any of the previous ones I've tried.

I have tried the paperwhite and I have many kindle fires. The voyage and the paperwhite screens flicker because I read my leisure reading too fast.

DS9 who takes a long time to finish a page is enjoying the voyage. DS10 reads at a normal pace on the kindle fire but he has not tried the voyage yet.

• Like 1

I have tried the paperwhite and I have many kindle fires. The voyage and the paperwhite screens flicker because I read my leisure reading too fast.

DS9 who takes a long time to finish a page is enjoying the voyage. DS10 reads at a normal pace on the kindle fire but he has not tried the voyage yet.

Interesting. I've never used a Fire. I wonder if I wouldn't have that annoying period of adaptation where I'm hyper-conscious of the page-turn flash. I try to avoid blue light before bed, though, so there's that problem for the Fire!

• Like 1

DS9 prefers the voyage over the kindle fire HD for reading. I have set up a collection named classics on my account so it is easier now for me. Overdrive works well on the voyage. There is no support for audio on the voyage so that may be a deal breaker for you.

If you need me to compare models, let me know. I think you get a year of prime free for some models.

• Like 1