Menu

How do YOU implement required reading into your day

plain jane

I'm asking specifically for my dd who is in grade 2. How do I select and implement a required reading list for her? I'm guessing that at her age, she should be reading them out loud so I can make sure she is reading correctly? Yes? No? What kinds of books should she be reading on her own?

For read alouds, I flop back and forth between AO and other Great Book lists and use what they recommend for grade 2- but she's not expected to read *those* for required reading, is she??

I'm painfully behind due to our move so I could really use a bit of extra help to get myself organized this fall. Pleave give me an idea of what your required reading looks like for your 6-8 year olds.

For me: we use BJU for required reading, and then the kids can read what they want at bedtime with a nightlight (and they read as long as they want). Right now, my 7 (almost 8) yo is reading Rainbow Magic Fairy books at bedtime. 4 months ago, these fairy books were too hard and I required them as reading practice (her reading to me, or us taking turns reading). Now they are easy and she enjoys reading them for fun.

For you: Read-aloud = "read by you", Reader = "read by her"

AO's read-aloud list is meant to be read out loud, by you. So it *should* be too much for her to read (read-alouds get your dd listening and hearing big words and complex ideas - they are not meant to be read by her). For your required reader list, you'll pick books that are at, or slightly above, your dd's reading level. You want there to be a few challenging words in the material, so that you can coach her through it and teach her harder words. But not too challenging, as to be frustrating. Your child's own personality will affect this, too. My 1st dd (the 7/8yo) has to read simpler books to me, because she is easily frustrated. Whereas my 5yo prefers books much harder than her ability (she likes the challenge). You can get book lists for readers from Sonlight - start by looking at the core levels and seeing which books seem to fit your dd's level (example: core 2 readers are Arnold Lobel books like Frog and Toad, Owl at Home, etc.) I also like to get book lists from web sites like Scholastic, and I search by reading level. To find your dd's reading level, have her read books to you and you assess whether it was easy - moderate - hard - or too hard. If it falls into the mid range, and seems like a good level, research the reading level, and then find other books within that range.

I did that last year, and it worked out OK. This year I was tired of constantly wondering, so I just picked a boxed curric (BJU) and that's been OK, too (really more for my sanity and peace of mind than anything else. It has not been a superior method or anything).

I make my 2 older kids "assignment" sheets. They are mainly for independent work that they do while I'm with another kid. (My sanity saver!!)

This week I have my ds reading Little Bear. Next week, he'll read Grasshopper on the road. It's super simple for him and that way I KNOW he can do it himself.

My dd got a Nancy Drew book from the library and I'm scheduling it for her so that she will get it done before we have to take it back. She can read more, but I only assign 1 chapter a day.

I looked at Sonlight to find some good lists and Winter Promise. If you're not sure about a book, usually CBD will comment on the age in their summary.

I don't require anything (yet) from the readings... just that it be completed.

Our "out loud" readings come from our Bible time. We each take a turn reading the verses.

For 2nd grade this year I have reading on our list 3-4 times. She has books that she is reading for history, literature/history, science (right now they are Tales from the Odyssey book 2, The Ancient Celts, Twisters and Other Terrible Storms and Beowulf Monster Slayer) She has to read one out loud to me each day and the rest she reads silently and tells me pages and/or what it is about. My plan is to have her do a book report on some of these books, but not all and never on reading she does on her own time (unless she wants to). She also does most of the reading for her bible study and SOTW (not required, she usually wants to) and those are always out loud.

Grade two can be challenging.

In third grade the recommendation is 30 minutes/day. For second, I would imagine 15 minutes to be sufficient. Let her choose Easy Readers at the library. Amelia Bedelia, Little Bear, Flat Stanley, Nate the Great, anything by Cynthia Rylant, Cam Jensen Ist reader series (there's another for older readers), Beatrix Potter and many more.

Here's a site with reading lists from all over.

http://www.schoolofabraham.com/readinglists.htm

I particularily liked this one and used it a lot for my daughter in Grades 1 and 2:

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000-primary.html

The idea at this age is develop fluency--and a love for reading.

I just started "regulating" my third grader's reading--she has to read 1/2h/day 6 days a week from books put on the coffee table (I also make up a sheet of stuff she must red, but it doesn't include everything there!)--otherwise ALL she would read would be Cam Jensen--which is fine--but is on her "own" time, lol!

hth.

I really like the book suggestions in Honey for a Child's Heart for free reading. For school we use the Sonlight readers as assigned. Up through 2nd I have them read aloud to me daily, I do ask the Sonlight questions for all grades though. I don't assign reading time as both my 1st and 3rd graders read a lot throughout the day on their own, I don't feel the desire or need to track actual time, I just want them to enjoy it.

My Library has Honey For A Child's Heart and it was a wonderful resource! I didn't limit myself to just those books and looked up other books at my library by the same authors. I figured that if one was suggested by an author, there were more good ones too. I found a ton, and our book reading time has been much better thanks to Honey for A Child's Heart.

Erica

I also make up daily assignment sheets. My dc also read aloud to me daily using the Pathway Readers (which go all the way up through 8th), and the Christian Liberty Nature Readers. I only have the 2nd graders RA daily, and the 4th and 6th graders RA once a week. Separately, I assign 1 or 2 chapters, depending on length, of good literature to read on their own. I really try to pick books that they would enjoy, but are well-written. Here is what my boys are currently reading:

7yo: The Secret Valley (1 chap) AND 2 chaps. daily from the Thornton Burgess animal books (I have the whole - 20 or so - series)

7yo: The Courage of Sarah Noble (1 chap)

9yo: The Little House on Rocky Ridge (2 chap) AND 3 chaps. daily from a Thornton B. book

11yo: The Hound of the Baskervilles (1 chap) AND Boyhood and Beyond (1 chap)

On average, it should work out to 15-20 min. daily for my twins (2nd grade), 20-30 min. for the 4th grader, and 30-60 min for my 6th grader. These are just ball park, as my goal is to introduce good lit. to them, and get them into the habit of reading every day. So far, it is working very well. HTH

Kim

I let my son pick his read own alone books. He usually spends 15-30 minutes on these each day. The books I want him to read to me, I assign the pages or chapters he needs to cover each day. Again this is anywhere from 15-30 minutes of reading. (He loves to read.)

The read alouds that I read to him we do while he's working on a craft or coloring page, and sometimes we save them for a bedtime story.

Honey for a Childs Heart (mentioned already twice but worth a 3rd) id a great resource.

Other than that keep it simple. You can read aloud to her during lunch and/or breakfast. Then give her a book list, and have her read them independantly before X amount of time. Maybe 1 book per week. Whatever you think will keep her motiviated with out exasperating her.

We made a book chart and when they hit 100 boks, they eared a reward. My ds wanted to go skating, but my dd wanted ice cream.

just keep it FUN! :D