Menu

Make me feel better - what $$$ have you spent on curriculum that didn't work out?

Michelle T

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my! I think I have spent thousands on how-to books and curriculum. I have a wardrobe from Home Depot and at least one tall bookshelf full of things I'm not using. Any my oldest is only 8!!!

I think I have 6 reading/spelling programs, 5 math programs, tons of workbooks for you-name-it including spelling and math (in addition to "programs").

I don't know what to sell since my oldest is only 3rd grade, my middle is beginning K, and my youngest is 2. argh

Fortunately my husband is very patient and generous, but I have this cloud hanging over me all the time and always want to try something else that's in my cupboard. This year my hubby really wants me to stick with one curriculum for each child and refrain from hopping around. (smile)

I'm sure we all make mistakes, but I think I need a curriculum junkie anonymous club! ha

Allison

Mommy to 3 blessings

My husband is very patient and generous also. This is just a sampling:

Rosetta Stone Spanish I, one child got half way through it.

Speedy Spanish, never used.

Write Shop 1 and 2, almost completed level one once, not sure why I couldn't follow through.

3 Levels of Classical Comp, didn't feel qualified, felt like we were missing something.

IEW, sporadic use, could never follow through. This year I designed my own writing class based on all I've learned from all the curriculums I have tried.

Singapore math level 3-6, couldn't start in the middle. Will start at the beginning with last child because I'm sick of Abeka after 4 kids, love Singapore.

Secrets of World Changers and Secrets of Great Communicators, Video courses by Jeff Meyers

Thinking Like a Christian, world view course, someday maybe.

Teaching Company Chemistry, World History ad Early American History, never used

Many art curriculums that we never get around to doing.

Cindy

Edited by Cindy in MO
added more

Heh. I haven't even been hsing that long and I feel like I have a lot!

Kinder Math - bought to supplement MFW K math. Never used.

Singapore Math 1B/2A - could not get the hang of teaching this. Bleah.

Professor B Math - the girls hated doing the computer stuff and that was the whole point for me - they needed to do it a bit independently after the baby was born.

Galloping the Globe - great program, I was just not organized enough to use it. Thought we'd add it in with our other stuff - not so much. At least I got it used.

La Francais Facile - just cannot get this into our day.

VP First Favorites - who has time to do this? And lots of other lit. guides. Seemed like a lovely idea but we don't have time to fit them in. Again, back to my lack of organization, I'm sure.

I think there is a lot more than this. I have to get the baby up now. At least this year I was able to determine, when I purchased LBC, that I did not like their handwriting or grammar so I didn't buy them with the rest of the program. Maybe I'm learning?;)

Oh, I am afraid to even look at the shelf. I know there is way too much money tied up in curriculum I haven't gotten around to sell or just might use.

One thing I have learned from the boards, the hard way, is one thing that works for one family may not work for another. It's too easy to get caught up in the newest, greatest. Oh well, live and learn.

I regret having signed up for the Classical Conversations Foundations and Essentials classes. I feel like I am wasting my time and money. I like the materials, but the classes are disappointing. Actually, the Essentials class is more disappointing than the Foundations. I like Foundations, but still feel it is a waste of time because I can do the material at home in a much more efficiently.

Saxon

GUM

Spelling Workout

Critical Thinking - Logic and Red Herrings

Rainbow Science (what was I thinking. I should have known this would not work for us.)

Right Start

Just about every high school level writing program that we have tried. My olders finally decided that they need a classroom program for this.

I haven't made any big ones in awhile.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a very interesting thread. I am coming in late here since I just joined, but my most expensive error occurred this year with TRISMS. This is just not working for us. Combine that with MOH Volume 1, and I had to completely restart history in October.

I tried Writing Strands twice, and had the same results. Tears.

I am just going to try to resell the TRISMS as quickly as possible and hopefully recoop some money. That will make me feel better.

Best wishes,

I've found two things that aren't working for us.

Real Science 4 Kids

WP American Story 1

With WP, she loves the literature, but detests the texts. Also, the spelling work and the games are too easy.

My husband is a patient man and doesn't say much. I did see him reading the Usborne World History encyclopedia this morning, though. :)

English smart (provincial grade level language arts workbooks-so boring)

FLL (love the program but my kids are too old so I scrapped it and am now starting R&S tomorrow, will save it for next ds)

Sonlight science 3, the mysteries and marvels book is good, the introduction to biology one not so much, after 2 years we are stillk plugging away because I can't bear to get rid of it when we have made it this far lol

LLATL blue, red and yellow books (luckily I bought those used)

I also have a large selection of science books, language arts books etc I bought second hand before we started homeschooling because I didn't know what would be a fit, and now they all just sit on a shelf because I haven't been able to get rid of them thinking of all the wasted money.

Edited by swellmomma

Right Start Art - I hate art. Really it is like the blind leading the blind. I really need a complete dummy proof (perhaps no adult necessary) art program.

Sonlight Core 2 - I disliked a lot of the texts and books and the LA portion was a dud. Switched to SWB FLL and WWE. Waaayyy better for us. We still do use what we can but that dinosaur book is fit only for loo paper.

Right Start Math for four children with all the games EVERYTHING that RS suggested.

CW Aesop (twice mind you) Homer.

Calvert Pre-K

Calvert K

Calvert 1st grade (I liked it but my ds didn't)

WP Journey of Imagination

Saxon K with all the manipulative's

Pathway Readers 1st grade (everything)

Calvert Math for 1st & 2nd

HWT everything that goes with all the bells and whistles

R&S English 1, 2, 3 & 4 (keeping 5 we might need it ;) )

R&S phonics, Reading for grades 1 & 2 I bought this got rid of it and realized it works well with my dc and bought it again (keeping it this time)

Shall I go on:001_unsure:

Edited by Homeschooling6

• 1 year later...

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!! I have laughed and cried ( mainly at the thought of my own purchasing blunders).

Thought I'd add my own:

Learnables Spanish... or what I call "where the heck are you", ds just couldn't follow it. More like "HOW much did I spend on this cr@$%?!?" :banghead:

GBA "Elfie" philosophy for children....really expensive, couldn't even make heads or tails on how to teach it, didn't know where to go with it. yuck.:thumbdown:

SOS complete box set....in fairness we like the science and Bible (so far). But language arts and history are BORING. Math is waaay too picky about HOW the answers are entered in. :glare:

Tons of misc. art supplies....

I'm sure there are more, but I must be blocking them for the protection of my own mental health. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you ladies, I needed a laugh today. :grouphug: HUGS!!!

Lavender

An old but fun thread! Let's see, where to start . . . my main problem is buying TOO MUCH, so no matter how good it is, I just don't have enough time in the day to get around to it. If I were to list that out, it would take way too long. Some that I did try and that just didn't work, though, were:

- Considering God's Creation science

- Saxon Math

- Spelling Workout (I liked it, but it wasn't sticking with my spelling-challenged son)

- AAS - my kids thought it was too young for them, and I wasn't consistent with it like I should have been (still hanging on to it for when my baby is old enough to try again!)

- Child's History of the World

I'm sure there are more, but that's what comes to mind at the moment.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

:glare:

WP AW

WP CATW

WP LA4

WP ACC K

LBC Grade 1

LBC Grade 5

Saxon 1

CW Aesop A

KONOS

CCUS Vol. 1

CKEB

CKEEaS

MOH

Math Mammoth Grades 1 and 4

TT 5

$200 worth of Lapbooks (my kids hate to cut and glue and so do I)

ABeCeDarian Levels A1, A2, B1, and B2

Abeka 5th Grade History (full set)

LLATL

Artistic Pursuits (really liked just didn't get around to)

AAS

Too many more little ones to list, I am sure I could think of at least 10 more.

oh -- and my biggest $$ loss: Rosetta Stone Spanish. Bought it for $180, could never work it into our schedule, and when I thought we'd finally get to it several years later -- it wouldn't work on our updated computer operating systems -- and an upgraded version would have been *another* $50... Anyone have an OLD (pre OS-10) Mac computer system and want a free Spanish program??!!

If you have a computer with Windows 7, you might give the older RS another try. According to a chart on their website, version 2 will work on Windows 7 even though it doesn't work on Vista.

I have several languages in version 1 and 2. I'm looking forward to updating one of our computers (or replacing the dying desktop) so I can get more use out of the RS.

On the other hand, the RS Japanese and the piles of Japanese books, audio and flashcards that I bought just didn't do anything to help us learn Japanese. If I could go back in time, I'd make finding a tutor, even only a halfway good one, one of the priorities of living in Japan. I can't help but feel that I've wasted not only all the money on materials that I just couldn't pull together, but also two years of what should have been a language opportunity.

BTW, if anyone else is working on Japanese, I'm putting everything I can find on our shelves onto Paperback Swap. I keep finding more, so check back once in a while.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

Wow, this is a long thread. It looks like we're *ALL* in good company <ha ha>.

Ok, my turn! MFW K. We paid over $100 (can't remember off the top of my head) for the deluxe version. The bad news is, the curriculum didn't work for us. The GOOD news is, we can still use all of the deluxe items. So, while not a *total* bust, I ended up losing about $98 because I can't see the K basic part of it. Maybe someday, eh?

Also, MUS. Turns out my ds7 only likes playing with the blocks (you know, building things, lol) and can't stand the dvd. So, I watch the dvd when needed with help to explain some things and he uses the workbook (which only get's complaints every *other* day ;).

Play N Talk...the "Rolls Royce" of phonics, according to Cathy Duffy. By far the biggest chunk I've ever spent. I ditched the whole program, but we've gotten a lot of mileage out of the letter sounds tape that came with it. I hated all the bells and whistles and needed something more linear and bookish. We settled on Phonics Pathways and used it for our 4 oldest. #5 is only a couple of years away.

BJU Homesat Science, grades K-6. Just thinking about it makes me sick. Not just the money, I hated the videos.

Critical Thinking....everything by them was a loser for us. I wanted to love it, but it didn't work well for us.

Edited by ThelmaLou

It's good to know I'm not the only one.

I wouldn't say that the stuff we have falls under the "it's good... just not for us" category. I think most of it would be great for us, if I ever got around to using it...

Years ago, I purchased the complete original sets of the McGuffey Readers, as well as Ray's Arithmetic, and Harvey's Grammar (NOT a cheap purchase). I had every intention of using them, and did for a bit, until a well-meaning friend pointed us in another direction. Now, years later, I wish I'd just stuck it out with what I had.

We also have MCPs 3rd and 4th grade math books, Story of the World 1, A Beka Language books, Sonlight books, a ton of A Beka history and reading books, and the list goes on. At this point in time, I think my house could double as a curriculum store/library. So much stuff... And I don't want to get rid of anything, 'cause I'm hoping we'll have more kids, and then I might need it for them.

Let's see what I could remember of my 11 year blunders.

Sing Spell Read and Write brand new

Saxon Math 54, 76, 87, and pre-algebra

Italic handwriting (can't remember the name)

Learning Adventures Unit Study (bought twice--loved it in theory, couldn't pull it off)

Understanding Writing (bought 3 times--I don't learn)

Spelling Workout (liked it, but it didn't really work)

Older Version of Math U See before the new version came out

Beautiful Feet Guides

Beyond Five In a Row (liked it, but my girls had passed that stage already)

Comprehensive Composition

Victory Drill Book (bought three times, yes, three times!)

100 Easy Lessons (made my son cry everytime I took it out)

Modern Curriculum Press Math (4rth grade level)

Abeka World History

Abeka 7th grade Science (all new with tests and everything)

Forgot Konos and

Considering God's Creation

I'm sure there is way more, but this is what I can remember at 1:15 in the morning...can't sleep...

:lol:

Edited by deeinfl

SL core 1 - I purchased this for our first year of homeschooling, and dropped it after 3 months. Sure wish I had found the WTM first. I would have saved myself a lot of time, frustration, and money.

WP Animal Worlds - Both of my boys absolutely LOVE animals. We all ended up dreading doing this program, so we dropped it.

RightStart Math

R&S 3 - my son never really complains about anything. This program caused him to hate grammar. Fortunately, MCT has restored his liking for grammar.

SWO - this program works great for my oldest who is a natural speller, but is not working at all for my youngest. I just ordered AAS for him. Hopefully I won't end up adding it to this list:tongue_smilie:

Krista

Am I glad to hear all this. I have spent way to much on all those programs I thought was the answer to my problems and just didn't work. I have spent hundreds of dollars in curriculum that hasn't worked for us and still not set on several subjects. :banghead::banghead:

Learnables Spanish... or what I call "where the heck are you", ds just couldn't follow it. More like "HOW much did I spend on this cr@$%?!?" :banghead:

Lavender

We used this one too. After a while we had such a hard time figuring out where we were in the lesson and heaven help you if you lost your place. :001_rolleyes:

My biggest cost mistake was Headsprout reading (x's 2 kids :tongue_smilie:) and of course no resell for that one. I hope I never make that expensive of a mistake again. It's made me "gun shy" on purchases. I did some other mistakes in our K year but nothing approaching that cost.

Edited by sbgrace

LLATL-different levels, multiple times

Saxon-all levels, multiple times

TT-various levels-multiple times

IEW-twice

EG-different levels-multiple times

various writing programs...

I'm sure I've wasted thousands of dollars on stuff. This year has been better. I think I'm so tired from worrying about what's the best thing and researching all the time that this year I haven't really bothered!

Rosetta Stone French, Levels One and Two. First child ditched French for German; second child ditched French for Spanish. Maybe third child will want to study a language I can actually teach and bought an expensive program for.

Alan Jemison piano lessons. Terrible sound quality, not helpful lessons, and the big selling point--teaching the student traditional Catholic hymns--it turns out you can do automatically by buying the Adoremus hymnal and CD, and attending a reverent Mass that will allow your child into the children's choir.

Well, since homeschooling is about tailoring your teaching to meet the needs of our individual child or children, I wouldn't be surprised if just about every resource that homeschoolers buy would show up in a thread like this. There is not something that everyone is going to like, regardless of how great someone else thinks it is.

Something that I wouldn't do over again, if I could go back in time and redo it, would be to invest so much time and money into learning how to use The Writing Road to Reading as a phonics program. I went to a seminar ( too expensive) and purchased materials ( also too expensive ) to be able to use that method. It was the worst fit of anything I've spent money on as a homeschool resource for my children in all of the 19 years I've homeschooled.

Guest momk2000
The Deluxe My Fathers World Exploring Cultures and Countries. Deluxe mind you!!!

We did the same thing last year. I had done Adventures with dd the previous year and we loved it. Last year we dove in and purchase ECC Deluxe package. We tried so hard to like it, but it just wasn't going to happen. By October, I had sold it for maybe half of what I paid.