Menu

Please help me figure out what to order-Singapore

I posted a while back, looking for suggestions on how to accelerate my 6yo ds through the math concepts without getting bogged down by fact memorization. Quite a few of you recommended Singapore. I am planning on going that route but need a little help from you all who use the program. My ds is about to finish up BJU Math 2. I finally let him work more quickly, at his pace, and we have been doing 1-2 chapters a week. At this rate, we will be done in about 3 weeks. I had him take the Singapore placement test and he placed into 2B. (He got an 85 on 2A and really kind of bombed the 2B test but I know some of that was from careless mistakes and not really wanting to do the test when I made him). One thing I noticed from both tests though, was that even though I knew he could do some of the problems, he was blanking on them because of the way they were worded etc. That just solidified my thoughts that he needs a program that works more heavily on word problems and application. Most of what he missed on 2A were just things we haven't covered yet, like metric measurement. We also haven't covered division yet, but when I explain to him what the division sign meant, he got them all right. So he knows how to divide (the concept of it) he just hadn't seen it formally. Where he really went wrong on the 2B test was the mental math. He was trying to add a series of 3, 2-digit numbers the same way he would on paper. Adding the ones, carrying, adding the tens, etc.

We don't finish our school year out until the end of May so I need a Math program to finish out our year with. I think I have two options.

1) Get the complete program (text, workbook, HIG, and supplements). If I go this route, should I get 2A and just skim over things that could use a little refresher or just go into 2B since that is where he placed?

2) Get the IP and CWP books for level 2 and then next year start into the full program with 3A/B? If I only went with the supplements, will I be able to figure out how to teach the program the "Singapore" way? Or do I really need the text and HIG to do that?

3) Any other suggestions or combinations someone may have? Maybe text, IP and CWP??? Do I need HIG?

We will have already covered a full "grade level" worth of work so I don't feel the need to complete another entire curriculum. However, I would really like something to get my son using mental math and really understanding word problems as well as put him on track to start in 3A this next fall. Can I accomplish this with just the supplements or should I go with the full program?

Oh, and if I get the CWP should I get level 2 or do I need to step back to level 1 since I've read some recommend to do these a year behind.

Thanks!

My too cents that you are free to toss!

It's always god to have a bright child exposed to more than one way of doing things. And, it never hurts for them to gain confidence by moving through familiar material in an alternative fashion. So, that said, I'd vote for starting the 2A. (You did say he placed into 2B but bombed the test so I'm not quite clear what that meant...) But starting with 2A and moving at whatever pace is comfortable for him will engage him in the new program and get him ready for the next level. It has been a few years since we did this but when we did I was a minority in doing both the text and the workbook.I just feel you can't have too much time on this foundational material because it is so terribly important in the future and if you don't spend the time now, even if he zips through it, you both will be frustrated later. And, finally, I have found that mental math is HUGE for bright kids! Have fun.

Mary

I think I would just get 2A text and workbook and go through that, expecting to be finished fairly quickly. I used SM although through 5A and never used any of the teacher guide/answers.

I also can't answer about the supplements because I didn't use them but I thinnk that 2A will allow you to get what you need from the program right now.

Hi country girl,

my $.02 which is very possibly counterfeit and should be checked by biting...

Our sons sound quite similar, mine is 6, passed the SM 2A test but not 2B. but not all for the same reasons... I decided to try a different "curriculum" right now. DK Marvel Heroes Math Made Easy Second Grade. He is excited by it, motivated and zipping through it. I let him choose his pages for the most part with the exception that I pick some that require lots of printing (not his strong suit) and he starts on them but can take a few days to complete. This gives him more handwriting/pencil practice too. There's a progress chart in the front of the book to which you affix a sticker for each page completed. There may not be quite enough word problems for you but there is lots of fact practice presented in a variety of ways, in color and with his favorite superheroes and supervillains. He is _far_ more interested in this book than he ever was Singapore.

So I feel like I'm way off topic since you are pursuing singapore but maybe someone would be interested in this book as a supplement. I picked up the third grade book too. I don't know how many grades DK has created this for but amazon should indicate. - Jill

MaryM, Arch at Home, and Mandamom, Thanks to you three for your suggestion that I start with 2A. I've been so confused by all of the choices and it is good to hear a consensus from 3 who have BTDT.

Jill, I always welcome other suggestions. You never know when a new suggestion will be exactly what I've been searching for! I'll head over to Amazon and check it out.

Thanks!

WendyK,

Thanks for this information. Using just the text and IP books was something I was wondering about. I didn't know if I'd be missing anything by not using the workbook. It is good to know that this might work. Hmmm, maybe even just the IP book ????, that would save a little money and might be a good way to just finish out the year. I'll have to think about all of these options. Options are great because they allow us to tailor a program to our individual dc but it sure makes deciding tough!:D

Thanks!

I agree with the other posters -- start with 2A, but mostly because 2B builds on what is covered in 2A. Since he did fairly well on the 2A test, I'd say skip the workbook (which is just more practice of the same type of problems in the textbook). I also think he would benefit from the 2A IP -- these are more challenging problems, to keep him from getting bored if the topic is something you already covered in the other math program.

This is what we do. I teach from the textbook and have him do the problems that are in the book (usually less than a page worth on each new skill taught). I also have him do the practice sections in each chapter (one page full of problems that have been taught in that chapter). Most of these can be done orally, and if he is already familiar with the topics we work through the chapters rather quickly. When we finish a chapter in the text, we switch over to the IP and work through the whole chapter of problems there, over several days.

The CWP1 would probably be a good addition, even if you only use it for "Friday review". Each new chapter in the CWP contains worked examples, so don't worry about matching it up with what you are doing in the textbook.

As for the HIG, that is a personal choice. Some use them, some don't. If you are new to the "Singapore Way" of solving problems, this book may be helpful. http://www.sonlight.com/RM170.html

Colleen,

Thanks for the reply. I think I am leaning towards doing just as you said, getting the 2A text and IP as well as the CWP. It is good to know that you are doing it that way and it is working well for you. I also appreciate the info you gave me on how you schedule the program, it is very helpful.

Oh, and thanks for the book recommendation. I'm going to check it out.

Thanks!