Menu

I've got som rep left

Elaine

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is close to going over to the next square?

I just figured out that I can find this out if I click on the "members list," then click on "reputation." It has everyone in order of how many green squares they have, and I'm assuming number of points, too, because a few days ago I was near the top of the "one square" group, now I'm near the bottom of the "two square" group.

I will often rep posts if I like them for whatever reason in my normal board perusings. And then I will go to the members list and go through the "one square" group to find posts to give out rep points for. As I write this, there are 11 pages of members with two squares and over, and 185 pages of members with one square and many rep-worthy posts.

You don't think it is because of this post, do you?

:tongue_smilie:

I truly have no idea. I thought that something was up with the rep but I wasn't paying too much attention until I tried to give Cleo a big push. Really, I have just been trying to bump everyone with only a few squares. I am so grateful that people rep me and I have the points that I do, especially because there are a myriad of other posters who are so much more articulate and logical than I am.:tongue_smilie: It's very frustrating to me because I was only looking to help other people out.

I will often rep posts if I like them for whatever reason in my normal board perusings. And then I will go to the members list and go through the "one square" group to find posts to give out rep points for. As I write this, there are 11 pages of members with two squares and over, and 185 pages of members with one square and many rep-worthy posts.

Exactly! That's why I am so happy to have so many points, to bump up others.

From the rep sticky:

How the Reputation Points work (in a nutshell)

Everyone starts with 10 points.

You must have a minimum of 50 posts AND a minimum of 10 rep points before the rep you give will count for others (when giving rep with less than 50 posts or less than 10 rep points, others will see your rep as neutral)

You will receive 1 rep point for every 730 days you are registered on WTM Forums

You will gain 1 point of rep-altering power for every 1000 posts.

You will gain 1 point of rep-altering power for every 500 rep points.

Bold mine. Maybe this has something to do with it? I thought it used to say 1 point for every 100 rep points. It was updated on the 10th.

From the rep sticky:

Bold mine. Maybe this has something to do with it? I thought it used to say 1 point for every 100 rep points. It was updated on the 10th.

Thanks for posting this.

I still say we should be allowed to keep what we had. It's unfair to change the rules mid-stream.

How the Reputation Points work (in a nutshell)

Everyone starts with 10 points.

You must have a minimum of 50 posts AND a minimum of 10 rep points before the rep you give will count for others (when giving rep with less than 50 posts or less than 10 rep points, others will see your rep as neutral)

You will receive 1 rep point for every 730 days you are registered on WTM Forums

You will gain 1 point of rep-altering power for every 1000 posts.

You will gain 1 point of rep-altering power for every 500 rep points.

Oh, man!!! That means I just went down to like 2--or is it 3, because you start with one?

I think we should start a rep strike! Or, a rep related strike--or something! WE WANT MORE REP, WE WANT MORE REP, WE WANT MORE REP, EVERYBODY, WE WANT MORE, ummm, guys, WE WANT, guys, where is everybody? Ummm, mods, it wasn't me, I DIDN'T DO IT!

I'm going to bed!

Traitors!

With this new system in place, it will take an awful long time for anyone to get a measly 6 or 10 points. :glare:

Oh well, not really fair to those who haven't been playing the rep game until recently. Their square counts won't be going up. Yes, I do consider it to be a game. Those who gave usually received.

I've been trying to avoid the "oh - I got more points! They like me - they really LIKE me!" game and just share advice and encouragement freely... but I must admit I do look fairly regularly at how many points I have. :tongue_smilie: I was inching pretty close to getting my second square, and then the rule changed to 500 instead of 100, so now I'm guessing I'll just never have an extra square! :glare:

You guys should read this post by Susan Wise Bauer yesterday.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56983&page=7

I will copy and paste it here, though:

Quote SWB:

Yes, we upped the number of rep points needed to give positive rep.

Why?

Because there are a group of posters who rep each other regularly for random reasons simply to boost their rep power, and simply to poke a thumb in the eye of the rep system, and that small clique had gotten too much rep power.

This annoys me because I had hoped that the rep system would serve a useful purpose on the sale and swap board. Which it does, and if we turn it off HERE we have to turn it off across the forums. So far I think that its usefulness on the sale and swap sections of the boards outweighs its abuse elsewhere.

I'm guessing that, ultimately, this small and determined group of posters will force us to remove the system from the entire forum, which is too bad for those of you who might have found it useful in evaluating the trustworthiness of vendors on the board. Sometimes good intentions are, in fact, overwhelmed by determined resistance.

I have to say that viewing the rep comments has opened my eyes to the ways in which women feel desperate for approval. Posters complain to us, or publicly on the boards, if they have receive one negative rep point--even if they've received fifty or more positive rep points for the same post.

In fact, posters quite often complain about receiving negative rep points when they haven't gotten a single negative rep at all.

We kind of scratch our heads over this. The comments are private, after all; so are the points. No one sees them except the person to whom they're directed.

I almost think there's a book in this somewhere. (Okay, before you all send me messages, I'm not completely serious. But...almost.)

SWB

With this new system in place, it will take an awful long time for anyone to get a measly 6 or 10 points. :glare:

Oh well, not really fair to those who haven't been playing the rep game until recently. Their square counts won't be going up. Yes, I do consider it to be a game. Those who gave usually received.

In the thread about why Phred was banned, SWB explains why this rule was changed. It's not supposed to be a game :).

I feel guilty now! I have participated in rep bumping. I NEVER intended to "poke a thumb in the eye" of the rep system. Seriously!! My heart has always been to encourage people, share the love with the people I enjoy here and share the love with thought provoking posts. I love this board and I don't want to do anything that would be considered "subversive". I really just felt like the rep thing has been all in good fun. I've never given negative rep. (I have pm'd someone and told them I thought their post was out of character and a little harsh.)

Thanks for these boards!!! Thanks for not only putting up with us, but for paying to put up with us!!!!!

I feel guilty now! I have participated in rep bumping. I NEVER intended to "poke a thumb in the eye" of the rep system. Seriously!! My heart has always been to encourage people, share the love with the people I enjoy here and share the love with thought provoking posts. I love this board and I don't want to do anything that would be considered "subversive". I really just felt like the rep thing has been all in good fun. I've never given negative rep. (I have pm'd someone and told them I thought their post was out of character and a little harsh.)

Thanks for these boards!!! Thanks for not only putting up with us, but for paying to put up with us!!!!!

Me either. I only gave it away for "fun" a few times to people who wanted another square. I 90% only give it to people who posted a good reply or that I agreed with their post...I guess that wasn't right? I truly didn't know it was ONLY for sale board experiences. I'm sorry about that.

Me too, This was the first time I participated in rep bumping, I was having fun but I didn't know it was frowned upon so much.

Oh, wow. It's gonna take me YEARS now to get a second square. :001_huh:

I *guess* there are more important things....but rep is still fun. And I do think it serves a purpose more than just popularity. Getting rep when you've helped or encouraged someone or contributed something useful makes you feel like you are a valued member of a community. And when you are new and don't really know anyone, it's good to get that feedback, and have the ability to give it back as well. Although it will be a while before mine counts for much. :001_smile:

I *guess* there are more important things....but rep is still fun. And I do think it serves a purpose more than just popularity. Getting rep when you've helped or encouraged someone or contributed something useful makes you feel like you are a valued member of a community. And when you are new and don't really know anyone, it's good to get that feedback, and have the ability to give it back as well. Although it will be a while before mine counts for much. :001_smile:

:iagree:

I agree and that's why I'd be really sad to see it banned because some people want it to be a game.

It's so nice to have a lovely warm fuzzy sitting there when you go to your control panel I really hope the system stays! I love handing out rep points too for good posts because I know that the recipient will get a warm fuzzie. Perhaps if rep parties stop and people stick to giving it out for good posts etc we will get to keep it.

Me either. I only gave it away for "fun" a few times to people who wanted another square. I 90% only give it to people who posted a good reply or that I agreed with their post...I guess that wasn't right? I truly didn't know it was ONLY for sale board experiences. I'm sorry about that.

I don't think it IS only for sale board experiences. It's just that that is the primary reason for it and the benefit of it- which makes sense to me. But I don't think it is intended that one only rep on the sales board. One can develop a reputation on any board, and that carries over to the sales board. But if people treat the rep system only as a game, it does rather defeat the purpose.

I feel guilty now! I have participated in rep bumping. I NEVER intended to "poke a thumb in the eye" of the rep system. Seriously!! My heart has always been to encourage people, share the love with the people I enjoy here and share the love with thought provoking posts. I love this board and I don't want to do anything that would be considered "subversive".

:iagree: I am not "poking my thumb in the eye" of anyone. And I fail to see how encouraging others with rep points is "subversive."

Editing to say, I got as many of you as I could this morning, I'll get the rest tomorrow.

I feel bad.

of course I like the warm and fuzzy feeling of rep points. It's an encouraagement to help others like people/posts have been helpful to me.

When I was new on the board I did purchase things from people, but at the time i did not know about the rep system and it's intended purpose. :( Sooooo a big belated apology to those I should have reped.

I do think its a good system though. If i consider purchasing something from someone or even considering the input from someone it's nice to see that they've been around a while and have a positive reputation from sales or other interactions/conversations.

Lara