Menu

When should a woman stop coloring her gray hair?

Lady Florida.

How old is too old to color your gray?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. When should a woman stop coloring her gray hair?

• Anytime after 40
    • Between 40 and 50
    • Between 50 and 60
    • No later than 60
    • Whenever she feels ready
    • Obligatory other (please explain)

This is not about whether or not one should cover the gray hair, but if one does when it should stop.

I had my roots touched up Saturday. It was only $104 because it was just a touch up and my highlights are still good. When I need the full treatment with highlights it costs more. This is a splurge we can afford so it doesn't hurt our budget, but I'm starting to wonder if I even should continue this vanity splurge.

So, if you aren't against coloring gray hair, when do you think a woman should stop?

I voted whenever she wants to stop. I happen to be transitioning to grey which will be a 2 year process because I like my shoulder length hair. I choose to do so because covering roots every 4 weeks or so is for the birds. And I also saw many images of fantastic looking women with grey hair so I thought why not give it a try. Now every once in a while I am tempted to color my hair again since I am just letting the color grow out but I don't want to be back at square one since it is almost a year now and I really want to see how it will look on me.

As for the price of covering roots, if you want to color and save money, then learn how to do it yourself. I did even though I have never been a fashion wiz. I looked on youtube for videos on how to do your own roots and brought the supplies at Sallies and it turned out great. My dh did help with the back but the videos I saw show how to do it yourself if your dh is not inclined to help.

I said "whenever she feels like it." I'm almost 41 and color mine, but I'm not solid gray. I just had a baby, so I'm trying to avoid the "are you mom or grandma " comments! I think I dress fairly young too. My color is $45 and does not include drying/ styling. I would pay more if need be. It is frivolous, but so are a lot of things :)

My MIL is 73 and is very active. She looks like she's in her 60s and I often forget how old she is.

She colors her hair a very light brown. It looks great on her. She is not a dottering old lady. She is still vibrant and active.

Some people are still active and young-acting in their 70s and beyond. We just went to an oral surgeon today who is 70 years old. He wasn't shaking in on a cane. He came bursting into the room singing. (For my son--he tries to make the kids feel comfortable.).

I guess if my MIL was hunched over wearing a moo-moo and keeping her feet propped up all day I might say, "oh, just go grey!" But the light brown looks very good on her. It's almost blonde it's so light. It would be silly for me to say, "You're so old! Let your hair go grey!" She looks good with it not being grey, so why should it matter what her age is?

That might be key: lighter colors to cover the gray and not pitch black.

However, I hope to have hair that is pure white. I have a white streak in the front of my head and I play it up by parting my hair on that side so everyone can see the streak (like Rogue in X-men.). If I have pure white hair when it all turns, I plan on wearing a lot of light blue with it. It'll be so pretty.

When my streak of white starts spreading, I might color my hair until it's all done changing. I don't like the look of patches of grey, other than my streak.

I think you should quit when it starts to look ridiculous with your face.  As people get older, they get.....sort of de-saturated looking.  Some even get sorta grey skin.  At that point, when the hair looks deeply colored, and the skin clearly doesn't...then something needs to change. 

• Like 1

BTW, grey hair is actually super trendy right now. ;) https://www.pinterest.com/haircuts2016/gray-hair-trend-2015/

When I first saw this trend I thought it was so weird and not pretty. I've changed my mind and like it now. :)

eta - I'm 47 and have been coloring my hair for the past two years. Didn't really need to before then. I'll keep coloring until I get tired of it. Also, it costs me $104 for a wash, cut, style, and root touch-up. I wonder if the OP and I go to the same salon. :laugh:

Edited by Mothersweets

I don't think there is a particular number but I don't like when it looks like a woman has completely given up all together. If she doesn't color but still looks like she cares about her appearance, I wouldn't give it a second thought. When she has given up on hair, makeup and clothing then it just looks sloppy to me (unless she's obviously very elderly). Perhaps I will change my opinion when I'm older, but that's my natural first thought. 

If I get my Dad's beautiful white hair, then I would love to stop coloring. For now, in my 30's (with at 50% grey) I keep on coloring. It's not a pretty grey at all.