Menu

music curriculum

Eagle

I am looking for a book or curriculum to guide me in teaching music to one or two elementary aged children. I am not looking for specific instrument training. Is anyone familiar with the Peggy Kaye books? She writes books for children to learn math, writing, and learning through playing made-up games. I would like something similar for music skills.

Ds used to attend music classes but the studio closed and I haven't found anything else that I like for music. They did things like clap different rhythms using words ("but-ter-fly", "cat-ter-pil-lar", "pie"), playing forte/piano volume games, and do ear training by playing the same note on different instruments. Everything was game-based and fun.

I figure if I can find a book to give me ideas like these, I should be able to continue these lessons at home. I play several different instruments, I just need guidance in teaching someone else.

They aren't game books like Peggy Kaye's, but Jolly Music has rhythm activities and volume/speaking vs talking/high pitch vs low pitch games from early on. I'm not sure abut the ear training, it is designed to be done pretty all with voice rather than instruments, but I could see that easily added in. 

• Like 1

Music Mind Games-you buy the book and then either make the manipulatives or buy a kit. It's designed for Suzuki Teachers to use in Group class or lessons to teach theory.

I also really like the Complete Music Reading Activities Kit, which uses either a set of bells or a piano keyboard to teach basic music reading, but it's less game based and more worksheet based-it was designed to be a music version of SRA reading, something kids could do at their own pace/level.

• Like 6

My First Piano Adventure has worked well here... my sisters teach it to my 8yo. I'm not sure how much musical knowledge you would need, but it seems pretty straightforward.

ETA: Sorry, just noticed you said not for a specific instrument... guess that suggestion won't help! :)

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestions!

dmmetler, Music Mind Games appears to be what I am looking for. Have you used it? I have spent a long time looking through the website this afternoon trying to figure out what to purchase. I think I should maybe order the book from Amazon first and then figure it out from there. There are so many parts (and of course I want almost everything) that it is hard to separate out what we really will need vs what looks nifty.

I've used quite a bit of it, plus lots of other resources. If you go on the website, you can see videos of a lot of the games, and decide what is reasonable to make and which things you should buy. It adds up quickly, especially for a family as opposed to a music studio.

• Like 1

I got my copy of the Music Mind Games book in the mail yesterday. It looks good. I still think I need just about everything to go with it. Since we are in Canada it is better to order in one big batch rather than find out we missed something and have to pay shipping and duty again.

So I think I need the base (puppy) pack, rhythm bingo, melody bingo, the foam puzzles, and the real rhythm cards (the ones that are different sizes based on note duration).

Even though I own a lovely glockenspiel and metallophone, I am thinking of getting the xylophone because each note is separate and they are in the matching colours to the other materials.

Then I probably don't need, but think it would be useful to have, the advanced set of blue jello cards and music symbols, the notes and rests cards, and the paper pianos.

All for kids who don't play any instruments yet... Although ds says he is very interested in learning.

• 1 month later...