Menu

List view of 2016 Acceptances - copy and paste, and add your student here so we can celebrate!!!

FaithManor

Congratulations to your ds/dd!

He has not actually received the envelope yet. With the help of a friend, he was able to see on-line that he has been admitted.  He read the statement about a dozen times to ensure he was understanding correctly :laugh: .  ​For some reason, we will both feel relief when we get the actual envelope in the mail.

Thank you!  And congratulations to your kiddo too!

After the looooooong wait, the arrival of the AmEx-offer lookalike was a bit anticlimactic.  Dd's first acceptance arrived almost five months ago, and she has all but decided on another school.  But you never know...

• Like 1

See, I guess this is what's really surprising me, as I kept hearing about that kind of experience here. We've had completely the opposite experience. To give very rounded, ballpark numbers (not including books/transportation):

State-school A: after merit (% tution/fees), EFC less $2K (also paid coop program and additional $4K freshman research grant)

State-school B: after merit (% tuition) EFC less $6K

Private school A: after merit/institutional grants/student LOANS: EFC plus $20K (except first year additional $5K scholarship)

Private school B: after merit/institutional grants/student LOANS: EFC plus $10K (also paid coop program)

Private school C: after merit/institutional grants/student LOANS: EFC plus $5K

And the difference with the last three will just keep going up and up and up as costs increase, as the aid is all fixed. And I'm not even 100% sure that all those institutional grants over merit are for all four years. With such a big difference even with them, though, the point seems a bit moot.

But they're all wildly different in terms of cost! And what are those private school thinking?? It's lovely and flattering that so far she's been accepted everywhere she's applied, but really folks...

Your experience is I similar to ours. All of the publics were cheaper than the privates (except GA Tech which offered $0) and that is even with large $$ scholarships from the privates.

We have learned to focus on high $$ scholarship schools bc they are the only ones we can afford when the final packages come in.

• Like 4

My daughter is now a college graduate; however, her experience follows.

She applied to ten colleges and was accepted by eight, denied by an Ivy League college, and wait listed at yet another college.  Since financial aid was a necessity, eight of the colleges to which she applied were known to offer good need based financial aid to accepted students. The ninth application was to our state university.  The tenth college was a last minute addition to my daughter's list after she attended a convention there.

Her overall financial aid offers (including both merit and need based aid) varied by as much as ten thousand dollars.  Our state university's financial aid offer was solidly in the middle of the pack.  The least financial aid was offered by the college that was added last to my daughter's list. 

My daughter sent copies of her two best offers and requested additional aid to the college she most wanted to attend.  (One of those colleges was equally selective to her desired college, the other somewhat less so.)  She received an additional one year grant of $2500 and ultimately attended her desired college.  That college was a fairly selective private liberal arts college.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

New acceptances for my daughter at University of Washington Seattle and Harvey Mudd. She did not make finalist for the full tuition scholarship at Mudd, so unless there is a weird financial turn of events, that one is out. UW is likely out too, though we don't have final information on that yet. Her sister is there, but GI bill makes that possible.

Many of my daughter's applications were done knowing that there were several things that would have to come together to make various schools possible; outside scholarships, competitive in-house scholarships, achieving NMF, etc. It's the reason her list of potential schools was huge. In the end she has done well in admissions, moderately well in competitive scholarships in-house, and completely struck out on outside scholarships. She did achieve NMF, which offered some opportunities too.

• Like 20

I dug through the paperwork tonight to make sure my memory was serving me right - and it mostly was. I included the costs after merit aid and any financial grants that were offered.  Did NOT include the loan options, because my brain refuses to see loans as "aid." I see them as - loans. :p

I don't have all of the schools dd applied to on this list (actually, I think I've forgotten to update a few acceptances here on the forum as well - several came in fast and furious and it was sort of underwhelming by that point when they all came together...)

But - here are the ones where I have the paperwork in the file next to me:

There's also the fact that there is no way, barring selling our house OR choosing only one kid to put through college, that we can afford the EFC in the first place.... These numbers are staggering to me for a kid with a great ACT score and a very strong resume! I really deceived myself into thinking those things would matter more than they do! A lot of the OOS university OOS-specific scholarships, for instance, topped out at a certain $$... and kids received that $$ whether their ACT was a 26 or a 35. Some of the kids had great extracurricular/community involvement... others barely did anything other than school and play video games (their own words) - but the $ of scholarship was identical.

It is disheartening and causing us to really question how hard we pushed all these years... it would have felt worth it, I suppose, if dd had applied to more choosy schools, but she really did not want to when it came time to do it. For the time being - her achievements DID come in handy for the automatic full-tuition scholarships at two universities and for acceptance into one university's honors college that was invitation-only & seems to have high stats.

Also makes me laugh that I was "worried" about getting a job within the next couple of years - because it might affect the kids' ability to get financial aid. As you can see in the list below... THAT is HYSTERICAL!!! :cursing:

(for the sake of being forthright, dd will receive athletic scholarship from whichever school she finally settles on, so these costs will change dramatically. But, I have another dd on dd#1s heels who is not an athlete, so I'm just agog at the #s and trying to grasp HOW we are supposed to manage this!)

OOS Public Univ A: after merit aid ($0 offered in terms of financial aid), EFC plus $14K

OOS Public Univ B: after merit aid (financial terms are not in, but we are not expecting anything), EFC plus $20K

OOS Public Univ C: after automatic merit aid ($0 financial aid), EFC plus $13K

OOS Public Univ D: after merit aid ($0 financial aid), EFC plus $9K (I actually didn't realize this one was that much "less" than the others...)

In-State Public Univ A: after pathetic merit aid ($0 in financial aid), EFC plus $14K :cursing:

OOS Private Univ A: after merit aid and $2k grant (wow!), EFC plus $14K

See, I guess this is what's really surprising me, as I kept hearing about that kind of experience here.  We've had completely the opposite experience.  To give very rounded, ballpark numbers (not including books/transportation):

State-school A: after merit (% tution/fees),  EFC less $2K  (also paid coop program and additional $4K freshman research grant)

State-school B: after merit (% tuition)          EFC less $6K

Private school A: after merit/institutional grants/student LOANS:    EFC plus $20K  (except first year additional $5K scholarship)

Private school B: after merit/institutional grants/student LOANS:    EFC plus $10K  (also paid coop program)

Private school C: after merit/institutional grants/student LOANS:    EFC plus $5K

And the difference with the last three will just keep going up and up and up as costs increase, as the aid is all fixed.  And I'm not even 100% sure that all those institutional grants over merit are for all four years.  With such a big difference even with them, though, the point seems a bit moot.

But they're all wildly different in terms of cost!   And what are those private school thinking??  It's lovely and flattering that so far she's been accepted everywhere she's applied, but really folks...

• Like 2

Hopskipjump, my ds attends Bama. $19,000 is definitely an inflated amt over what is needed if your child received the presidential.

He lives off campus this yr and paid $500/month rent (which covers everything including utilities and Internet) and he cooks all his own meals. (He bulk cooks on the weekend, freezes his meals, and just pulls stuff out as he wants.). He lives in a house with 2 female friends. (They like having him there and he does things like mowing the grass (super small yard and only takes him 25 mins.)

He is moving into a different house next yr and his rent will be similar. There are also way cheaper dorms than the single private room dorms.

One other thing to keep in mind is that you can claim the $2500 AOTC by shifting some of the scholarship $$ to paying room and board. UA's scholarship is "equal to the amt of tuition" not a tuition scholarship. I am not 100% clear on all of the details bc we can't claim it bc he has scholarships covering room and board, but most of his friends do claim it and get that tax credit. I'll see if I can find a link describing the process. (This might help or at least get you pointed in the right direction: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/1764385-declaring-scholarships-as-income-for-american-opportunity-credit-on-taxes-p1.html )

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 5

Updated I think. Since we are getting to the tail end of acceptances coming in, if everyone could just take a look and see if I've missed anything, then post the errors here, I would appreciate it.

Well, we have one brand-new acceptance, to the University of Rochester.  No information yet on possible scholarships or aid.   Based on the other private schools so far, though, I'm not holding my breath that it will be affordable... but it's nice she got in!  

That leaves one school outstanding, our state flagship, which she only applied to as a safety anyway. 

As requested,  went back to check over her other stuff...

- Clarkson did end up giving her a scholarship, just got that one in the other day.

- SUNY Stony Brook is spelled wrong on the list, but that's probably overly picky to point out. ;)

- And she did also get merit scholarships to both UMass Lowell and Worcester Polytech.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 16

Faith, thank you for maintaining the list. I enjoy seeing all the successful homeschoolers! Some corrections when you get a chance, to add acceptances for ds: UCLA, GA Tech, Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute. Also, for his UCB listing, scholarship decision is pending. He is a scholarship finalist, but decision will be announced in a few days.

• Like 8

But UCLA Bruin Day is on the same exact day as UCB Cal Day, April 16.

Wow, that's obnoxious! Those 2 schools have a ton of cross-admits; in the past, Bruin Day & Cal Day have always (at least in recent memory) been held on separate weekends to allow students to visit both campuses. (Basically every top high-school kid in CA applies to both schools ... :) )

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 3

Wow, that's obnoxious! Those 2 schools have a ton of cross-admits; in the past, Bruin Day & Cal Day have always (at least in recent memory) been held on separate weekends to allow students to visit both campuses. (Basically every top high-school kid in CA applies to both schools ... :) )

Yup, I read the acceptance letter several times thinking maybe there was a mistake, but nope, UCLA and UCB scheduled for the same day. Ds is leaning toward Cal, so I guess it's okay for us. We will probably skip Bruin Day to attend Cal Day.

• Like 3

Yup, I read the acceptance letter several times thinking maybe there was a mistake, but nope, UCLA and UCB scheduled for the same day. Ds is leaning toward Cal, so I guess it's okay for us. We will probably skip Bruin Day to attend Cal Day.

That's what my son did, too ... even though they were on different weekends two years ago :)

Go Bears! :hurray:

• Like 2

DD accepted to Boston University today!

- with gobs of financial aid (finally!! Something matched the financial calculator! 😂). She did not apply to their honors college (iirc, it required another essay and DD was d.o.n.e. by that point 😲)

I don't know if DD1 will go here or not- but I think it's a great fit for DD2, so it was a great relief to see the financial #s come out as expected here.

Edited by hopskipjump
  • Like 25

Hopskipjump, my ds attends Bama. $19,000 is definitely an inflated amt over what is needed if your child received the presidential.

He lives off campus this yr and paid $500/month rent (which covers everything including utilities and Internet) and he cooks all his own meals. (He bulk cooks on the weekend, freezes his meals, and just pulls stuff out as he wants.). He lives in a house with 2 female friends. (They like having him there and he does things like mowing the grass (super small yard and only takes him 25 mins.)

He is moving into a different house next yr and his rent will be similar. There are also way cheaper dorms than the single private room dorms.

One other thing to keep in mind is that you can claim the $2500 AOTC by shifting some of the scholarship $$ to paying room and board. UA's scholarship is "equal to the amt of tuition" not a tuition scholarship. I am not 100% clear on all of the details bc we can't claim it bc he has scholarships covering room and board, but most of his friends do claim it and get that tax credit. I'll see if I can find a link describing the process. (This might help or at least get you pointed in the right direction: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/1764385-declaring-scholarships-as-income-for-american-opportunity-credit-on-taxes-p1.html )

Thank you very much for that information! I will look into this in more detail this week! The other schools I've checked so far have been pretty accurate with the cost estimates, but we haven't tallied up Bama numbers yet!

Edited by hopskipjump
  • Like 3

And... dd just got an invite to RIT's Honors program.  Gah.   Why are they gapping us so much?  I think it's still her first choice school.  But they want about $10K over our EFC plus for her to take out loans.  And she'll have to work on campus - they're actually one of the only schools that offered work-study as part of their package.

And she's got a scholarship offer  at a good school where we'd pay $16K less than that a year, she'd graduate debt-free, and if she got a job, she could keep her money. (although, no coop program - it's quite possible the coops she'd have at RIT could pay off most of her loans - but we'd still have to find that extra money and i don't know where it would come from - we still have a third kid to pay for - can't blow through all the savings!)

Has anyone had luck going back to a school and getting them to fill a gap that big?  I'm trying to figure out if it's worth asking them to meet our EFC (she'd still have loans and work-study), or if they'd just laugh and she should give up on them.

• Like 10

Has anyone had luck going back to a school and getting them to fill a gap that big?  I'm trying to figure out if it's worth asking them to meet our EFC (she'd still have loans and work-study), or if they'd just laugh and she should give up on them.

My opinion is that it never hurts to ask.  The worst they can do is say no.  That said, RIT is not well known for great aid as far as the students at my school who get accepted there are concerned.  Many of them end up with loans (or their parents pay for it or get loans).  The co-op semesters help, but it's still quite pricey.

Chances are, kids from our school do not have as high stats as your daughter AND your daughter is female (kids from school have all been male), so those two factors could sway things.  As stated earlier, since it's her first choice school, it never hurts to show them what other offer(s) she has and seeing what happens.

Best wishes to you!

• Like 1

I don't post much but we have a few acceptances to add to the list:

DD1: accepted at Williams early decision, and also at Oxford. Will go to Williams.

DD2: Oxford, Middlebury, Williams, Johns Hopkins and Amherst (Schupf Scholar -- does anyone know anything about this program?)

Thanks to Laura Corin's son who kindly answered questions on Oxford.

• Like 25

And... dd just got an invite to RIT's Honors program.  Gah.   Why are they gapping us so much?  I think it's still her first choice school.  But they want about $10K over our EFC plus for her to take out loans.  And she'll have to work on campus - they're actually one of the only schools that offered work-study as part of their package.

I'd start with asking them questions .... Did you recalculate our EFC? Using what data? Ask whether they know of any additional scholarships you can apply for, under what circumstances do they grant extra aid, if I document XYZ (medical bills, etc) would you consider raising her aid?

Don't make your actual appeal until you have all the information you need to make it a good one.

The numbers do look like they gap almost everybody, but schools generally have at least some wiggle room. If your DD really wants the school, she'll appreciate that you tried to make it work, even if the numbers don't happen in the end.

• Like 1

And she's got a scholarship offer  at a good school where we'd pay $16K less than that a year, she'd graduate debt-free, and if she got a job, she could keep her money. (although, no coop program - it's quite possible the coops she'd have at RIT could pay off most of her loans - but we'd still have to find that extra money and i don't know where it would come from - we still have a third kid to pay for - can't blow through all the savings!)

RIT gapped us a LOT when Cornell and UR were right at our EFC. My dd would have seriously considered going there if the money had been closer, but it was just not even close. (She was even awarded the Pres Scholarship.....) I called the FinAid office and was basically told that the offer was the offer.... but then (when school had already started and she was enrolled somewhere else) met a person that works in the FinAid office who said that I should have insisted on going further up the chain. I don't think dd is sorry now, because she's happy where she is, but at the time it was puzzling.

So, if your daughter is really keen on RIT, keep calling until you get a satisfactory response. IOW... don't take the first no as the final answer!

Edited by Jen in NY
  • Like 4

DD received an acceptance today from College of William and Mary.  No further info from them at this point.

One update-she received a Presidential Scholarship from Sweet Briar in addition to her previous scholarship.

(On the edit site--Faith-you can remove the quote from me at the top of the list, I can't imagine why it is there.)

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst
  • Like 24

DS was accepted at Brigham Young University!

He had already received acceptances at University of Utah and BYU-Idaho (I posted that earlier, but it didn't make it on the list), but was waiting to hear from BYU. He didn't want to get his hopes up because so many of the homeschool kids around here haven't made it in the last couple of years. Luckily, this year was a better one for homeschoolers. We know several that made it in this year.

He is EXTREMELY excited to go to BYU this fall! 

• Like 22

DD1: accepted at Williams early decision, and also at Oxford. Will go to Williams.

DD2: Oxford, Middlebury, Williams, Johns Hopkins and Amherst (Schupf Scholar -- does anyone know anything about this program?)

Congratulations! I would love to hear more about your DDs' background.

• Like 5

Just heard from the last school we applied to. Here's the whole list of acceptances for my son...now, decision making time....

Wheaton College (IL)
William and Mary
Lehigh University (arts and sciences)
Wooster (presidential scholarship)
Christopher Newport (honors program)
Hope College

Edited by sandra in va
  • Like 24

Congrats! Williams is the dream school for us. Please do share a bit more about background.

• Like 2

DS was accepted to Rice University!

Congrats!!! Rice was VERY high on ds's list! He also received a nice merit offer there. Which was actually not prominently displayed in the admission e-mail/notification. Only by being on CC did we realize you had to scroll waaaaayyy down to find the merit link. This was, however, two years ago. No idea what it is like now!

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 4

Congrats!!! Rice was VERY high on ds's list! He also received a nice merit offer there. Which was actually not prominently displayed in the admission e-mail/notification. Only by being on CC did we realize you had to scroll waaaaayyy down to find the merit link. This was, however, two years ago. No idea what it is like now!

Thank you! We've been impressed by everything we've heard about Rice, and we're grateful he has so many wonderful chioces!

• Like 2

Final decision letter arrived today (via email/website):  Dd was accepted to Smith College.

The other day she accused me of bragging too much about her when I posted here.  It was hard to explain that it was less bragging and more sharing with all the wonderful folks on the board what has happened.  Whether I am posting questions or just quietly reading I have gleaned so much wonderful advice I cannot help but share all this good news since so many here have, perhaps unknowingly, played a huge part in these last 11 years we have homeschooled. So a big thank you to all!  I also hope that, for those who haven't graduate a child yet, dd's acceptances will help, along with all the other posts in this thread, prove that homeschooling high school can have a marvelously successful outcome. I am amazed at all the wonderful news from the WTM Class of 2016!!  I can't hit everyone's posts with enough likes but congrats to all-the parents and kids represented here deserve all the praise, lauding, congratulations, well wishes, and happy, jumpy claps I can muster!!!

• Like 24

Final decision letter arrived today (via email/website):  Dd was accepted to Smith College.

The other day she accused me of bragging too much about her when I posted here.  It was hard to explain that it was less bragging and more sharing with all the wonderful folks on the board what has happened.  

Tell her your posts are to inspire other moms to continue homeschooling through high school.  Lots of people check these threads around 8th grade, terrified they are going to destroy their child's future.  This long list of acceptances helps reassure them that it can be fine (even great!)

Congrats!

• Like 15

The other day she accused me of bragging too much about her when I posted here.  It was hard to explain that it was less bragging and more sharing with all the wonderful folks on the board what has happened.  Whether I am posting questions or just quietly reading I have gleaned so much wonderful advice I cannot help but share all this good news since so many here have, perhaps unknowingly, played a huge part in these last 11 years we have homeschooled. So a big thank you to all!  I also hope that, for those who haven't graduate a child yet, dd's acceptances will help, along with all the other posts in this thread, prove that homeschooling high school can have a marvelously successful outcome. I am amazed at all the wonderful news from the WTM Class of 2016!!  I can't hit everyone's posts with enough likes but congrats to all-the parents and kids represented here deserve all the praise, lauding, congratulations, well wishes, and happy, jumpy claps I can muster!!!

Not bragging at all! It has been lovely watching that list grow and grow - SO encouraging and I have learned so much by others' posts - it's incredibly informative!!

And it's nice to have others to celebrate with and be excited for! All of dds senior friends have already made their choices, so it's just her hovering mid-air - and it's a relief to come here and see that there are many others who are still making their final decisions and still having acceptances come in!

• Like 9

We also got the last one today - UMass Amherst; no info on financials yet though. They're just taking their time...

DD applied early there and was accepted forever ago - and the financials just showed up on the portal last week. So hopefully they're on the speedway to getting that info out to everyone! :)

Final decision letter arrived today (via email/website): Dd was accepted to Smith College.

The other day she accused me of bragging too much about her when I posted here. It was hard to explain that it was less bragging and more sharing with all the wonderful folks on the board what has happened. Whether I am posting questions or just quietly reading I have gleaned so much wonderful advice I cannot help but share all this good news since so many here have, perhaps unknowingly, played a huge part in these last 11 years we have homeschooled. So a big thank you to all! I also hope that, for those who haven't graduate a child yet, dd's acceptances will help, along with all the other posts in this thread, prove that homeschooling high school can have a marvelously successful outcome. I am amazed at all the wonderful news from the WTM Class of 2016!! I can't hit everyone's posts with enough likes but congrats to all-the parents and kids represented here deserve all the praise, lauding, congratulations, well wishes, and happy, jumpy claps I can muster!!!

If you didn,t tell us, it would be like telling us a story but leaving off the ending. This would be particularly unsatisfying if the ending were a happy one!

Nan

• Like 8