Menu

List view of 2016 Acceptances - copy and paste, and add your student here so we can celebrate!!!

FaithManor

Okay, I can finally chime into this discussion. I've been reading and quietly celebrating everyone's successes as they are posted. Great work!

My DD17, a senior in PS (homeschooled through 8th) has been accepted with merit scholarships as a nursing major at all of the following:

Case Western Reserve University

Hope College

Xavier University

Florida Southern College

She was admitted into Butler University's direct-admit Physician Assistant program.

Still waiting on admissions decisions from (but really, they're both WAY too big for her preferences):

University of Michigan

New York University

And the winner is...Florida Southern College. She committed to swim there this week. She's thrilled with the very generous merit scholarship, small size, and very competitive Div. 2 swim team (which trains in an outdoor pool year-round - a real novelty to this upper-midwest girl who is used to her hair freezing solid on the way home from practice). 

We had ALMOST lost hope that we could find a school that was a good fit for her academically, athletically, and financially. Whew! One down and three to go... 

• Like 24

Caught up again. Sorry it took so long. I've had some pretty urgent stuff with my parents, legal and medical. Blech. Glad to be back here checking in.

:grouphug: I hope things settle down for you soon. Thanks for doing this.

Could you please add Beloit College with scholarship for my ds, when you have time? 

• Like 10

CompSci dd - SUNY Binghamton

and you can add merit scholarship to her WPI listin

ETA Just checked the original list - I don't see dd under WPI, and Worcester still has an extra 'h' ;)

Thanks, Faith - I know you've got a lot going on :hugs:

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 13

Adding my dd's acceptance to CBU even though she will probably take a gap year and then attend Bible college with an emphasis in missions.

American University of Paris - dd of Kim in SouthGA

Auburn University - dd of Teacher mom - scholarship, ds of margoargo

Azusa Pacific University - ds of Running the race

Baylor University - dd of Gr8lander

Berry College - ds of teachermom2834 - scholarship

Biola University - ds of Running the race - scholarship

Birmingham Southern College - ds of teachermom2834 - scholarship

Bridgewater State University - dd of Matryoshka

California Baptist University - accepted with honors - dd of Juliegmom

Case Western Reserve University, Baltimore County - merit scholarship; ds of ValRN

Cedarville University - ds of JanOH

Clark University - ds of Kewb

Colleen in Nova Scotia - ds has two acceptances - with scholarships

College of Saint Rose - ds of Nancy in NH - Trustees Scholarship

Colorado State - dd of Teacher mom - scholarship, and ds of Bugs

Colorado State Master's in Resource Management--dd of Margaret in CO

Concordia University in Montreal - Our very own CLEOQC

Cornell University - dd of Teacher mom decision made!!!

Elon University - dd of JumpedintoTheDeepEndFirst

Florida State University - dd of Melissa B

Furman University-dd of JumpedintotheDeepEnd - Scholarship

George Mason University - ds of ThisIsTheDay

Georgia State University - dc of Joules honors program

Georgia Tech - dd of plansrme, dd of Gr8lander, ds of margoargo

Grand Canyon University - ds of Running the Race - Honors College and Scholarship

Grove City College - dd of Chloe

Hofstra - dd of AngieW in Texas with scholarship

Hollins University - dd of JumpedintotheDeepEnd - scholarship

Indiana University - ds of littlemommy - Honors Program

Iowa State University - dd of Skateleft

Keenesaw State University - dd of Night Elf

King's College - dd of Kim in GA scholarship

Lees-McRae College of Performing Arts - dd of Michelle_NC - scholarships

Loyola University of New Orleans- dd of Katilac - scholarship

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) - dc ofJoanHomeED

Mcneese State University - dd of Katilac - scholarship

Mercer University - dd of Kim in SouthGa - Presidential Scholarship and Tift Scholarship, and dd of ZiMom - scholarship

Messiah College - dd of Gr8lander

Miami University (Ohio) - dd of JumpedintotheDeepEndFirst Honors Program and scholarship, ds of Sebastian (a lady) - scholarship

Michigan Technological University - ds of Faithmanor - scholarship

Middle Tennessee State University - ds of Teachermom 2834

Missouri Western State University - dd of Momto2Ns - scholarship

Montana State University - dd of Gr8lander

Northern Michigan University - ds of Faithmanor, scholarship

Oglethorpe University - ds of Teachermom2834 - ds of Joules - scholarship

Ohio State University - ds of TheApprentice, ds of mjbucks1 to College of Engineering with merit scholarship and honors program

Ohio University - dd of Hillfarm

Pace - dd of AngieW in Texas with scholarship and honors program

Princeton - dd of Muttichen; dd of Gr8lander

Purdue University - dd of JumpedintotheDeepEndFirst - scholarship & Honors College; ds of Sebatian (a lady) College of Science - NROTC scholarship

Radford University - ds of ThisIsTheDay

Rider University - ds of Kewb

Rose - Hulman Institute of Technology - ds of cjzimmer1, ds of TheApprentice

Samford University - dd of Kim in SouthGa

Santa Clara University, ds of Handmaiden to The School of Engineering - merit scholarship!

Spring Hill College- ds of Teachermom2834, dd of Katilac - scholarship

Susquehanna University - ds of Nancy in NH - scholarship

SUNY Cortland - ds of Kewb

Sweet Briar - dd of JumpedintotheDeepEndFirst - scholarship and Honors College

Texas A & M - dd of Teacher mom, ds of margoargo

Texas State University - ds of Kinsa

Towson University - ds of Kewb

Trinity University - dd of Katilac - scholarship

Union University - ds of MorningGlory

United States Military Academy - ds of margoargo

Universitat von Bayreuth Germany - ds of rdj2027

University of Alabama - dd of Teacher mom - scholarship; dd of Katilac -scholarship; ds of mjbucks1 full tuition scholarship, engineering scholarship, honors program; dd of hopskipjump - scholarship; ds of margoargo

University of Alabama Huntsville - dd of Katilac - scholarship

University of Central Florida - dd of hopskipjump - scholarship

University of Georgia - dd of Night Elf, dd of Teacher mom - scholarship, ds of margoargo - honors college

University of Kentucky - ds of mjbucks1 - honors program, dd of Gr8lander

University of Louisiana at Monroe - dd of Katilac - scholarship

University of Maryland Baltimore Count) (UMBC) - ds of TheApprentice

University of Massachusetts Lowell - dd of Matryoshka - honors & scholarship

University of Memphis - ds of MorningGlory

University of Michigan - ds of Faithmanor - honors; College of Engineering dd of Angela in Ohio, CoE ds of VaIRN

University of New Haven - ds of ValRN - presidential scholarship (several applications pending)

University of Oklahoma - dd of Gr8lander

University of Pennsylvania Wharton School - ds of Jennifer in MI - scholarship

University of Tampa - dd of Melissa B - scholarship

University of Tennessee - ds of Teachermom2834

University of Texas at Dallas - dd of AngieW in Texas

University of New Haven - ds of ValRN - presidential scholarship (several applications pending)

University of South Carolina - ds of mjbucks1 tuition reduction, honors college, merit scholarship

University of Virginia - ds of margoargo

Vanguard University - ds of Running the Race - scholarship

Virginia Commonwealth U- dd of Teacher Mom

Virginia Tech - dd of MysteryJen, dd of Diane P.

Washington College - dd of JumpedintotheDeepEndFirst - scholarship

WendyAndMilo - local state university

Western Michigan University - ds of Faithmanor - scholarship

West Virginia University - dd of Heather in VA - Honors college, scholarship

Willamette University - ds of Joules - scholarship

Worcester Polytechnic Institute - ds of Sebastian (a lady) - scholarship

Xavier University - ds of Teachermom2834 - scholarship

• Like 3

Ds received a second acceptance, UC Irvine, for Campuswide Honors Program.

The UCI email notification was actually sent to him yesterday but it went to his Spam folder by mistake. Thanks to Sebastian's thread on "Application Lessons Learned" to check portals for possible missing items, I asked ds to check all portals and forward all email notifications to me. He had gotten into the habit of ignoring college emails, thinking they were just more marketing reminders to apply or consider their college. So have your dc check on emails, portals, and Spam folder.

• Like 19

Matryoshka - DS's top choice is University of Michigan. He won't be able to go unless he gets a good amount of merit money.

University of Michigan was my son's first choice school (OOS), but he chose not to go because of the expense.  He is attending a state university as a resident; he's very happy and will graduate debt-free.  

Erica

• Like 5

Michigan is one of the most expensive for out of state students. They are popular enough to attract out of state students as cash cows.

I so don't want to be one of those cash cows, but DS reeeeally wants to go there. We are anxiously awaiting a financial aid packet, but don't have our hopes up because we've been told by a high school counselor in Detroit that U-Mich is notoriously stingy. There is no way I could commit to paying a lot of money when DS has a full tuition scholarship here in MD. Â Â Ă¢â‚¬â€¹

• Like 2

Michigan is one of the most expensive for out of state students. They are popular enough to attract out of state students as cash cows.

This must be similar to University of Washington.  We briefly looked at it, but I think there was out of state tuition compounded by zero merit aid. It was one of the ugliest set of numbers we crunched.

• Like 3

Radford University - ds of ThisIsTheDay

You can add to this entry that ds was accepted into the Honors Program and received a Presidential Scholarship!! This is what he's been wanting for the past year and a half. While it's an easier school to get into, his merit scholarship is almost equal to full tuition. He can expect to graduate without any loans. The scholarship will make this his school of choice, woohoo!!!

:party:

• Like 17

This must be similar to University of Washington.  We briefly looked at it, but I think there was out of state tuition compounded by zero merit aid. It was one of the ugliest set of numbers we crunched.

Since I live in WA, I never looked at the out-of-state tab there, but I was curious and checked. U-dub is not the worst on the west coast, that award goes to Berkeley. Michigan is also worse than UW for OOS tuition costs:

On-campus, out-of-state cost of attendance:

Michigan 57,432

Cal Berkeley 60,073

UW Seattle 49,338

But, no, none of these give significant aid to out-of-state students.

• Like 6

My daughter goes to UW OOS; she's got the GI Bill, which helps, but only covers the in-state costs, so we still have quite a bit to make up (no Yellow Ribbon program there either). They do have smallish merit scholarships, which also helps.

What killed us though is when they decided to LOWER the in-state rate, while keeping the OOS rate intact! Hooray for the in-state kids, but for us with an OOS GI Bill student, it increased our costs, because the reimbursement for the in-state part went down. Ugh!

• Like 1

My daughter goes to UW OOS; she's got the GI Bill, which helps, but only covers the in-state costs, so we still have quite a bit to make up (no Yellow Ribbon program there either). They do have smallish merit scholarships, which also helps.

What killed us though is when they decided to LOWER the in-state rate, while keeping the OOS rate intact! Hooray for the in-state kids, but for us with an OOS GI Bill student, it increased our costs, because the reimbursement for the in-state part went down. Ugh!

Have you been out of the military a while? I know the recently passed law only applies for those who have left within the past 3 years.

• Like 1

My daughter was one of the really early Fall 2016 acceptances, back in August, and I completely forgot to update with her other acceptances. Oops!

Ultimately, she's decided on Iowa State for mechanical engineering. They awarded her a 4 year academic scholarship. :D

Two down, two more to go!

• Like 22

My daughter has a few more:

Brenau University:  full tuition scholarship  

Rollins College:   Dean's Scholarship 

Middle Georgia State University:  honors program

already listed: 

Mercer University:  merit scholarship  

dd of zimom  

no decision yet.  

Edited by zimom
  • Like 20

My niece is a junior there and has loved it since day one (art major, comp sci minor). 

We should do a decision day thread in May! 

This is good to hear. I worry that ds is so caught up in looking at location that he isn't seeing the whole picture, especially the academic strengths that a school like Allegheny can offer. He's doing an overnight visit, so I am looking forward to hearing his impressions. Would your dd be open to some questions?  Please feel free to pm me.

My daughter decided to graduate a year early - 16yo. Applied and accepted to only one university, UNC Charlotte University Honors Program. Her major is Special Education, Adaptive (moderate-profound disabilities). She will be able to begin taking education classes in her spring semester bc of dual enrollment and AP credits. We are all excited!

• Like 25

Just stopping in to add congratulations to all.

Hubby and I spent a good part of yesterday visiting our Alma mater (Virginia Tech) and the absolute best parts included listening to current students sharing their lives with us - hopes, dreams, daily living, etc.  It gave us both good reminiscing time of our own days here and hope for the future with such terrific young men and ladies taking over.

One often hears how colleges are doing too much now - spending money frivolously, etc.  I guess that's true in some aspects, but a lot of what we've seen here have been big investments in educational opportunities - new equipment/buildings/research, etc.  Students going here today have so much at their fingertips.  It's pretty darn awesome IMO.  They only need to take advantage of it. When we get home I expect we'll be sending in a donation to a scholarship fund giving credit to the awesome young man who volunteered his own time (without our asking) to give us a great tour of many things new.

Plus... it's not only VT.  We've visited many good colleges in our lives... of course, VT is the best, but that goes without saying, right?  My boys schools come in a close second.   :lol:

But when did college students get so young looking???  :glare:

• Like 17