Menu

List view of 2016 Acceptances - copy and paste, and add your student here so we can celebrate!!!

FaithManor

DD applied early there and was accepted forever ago - and the financials just showed up on the portal last week. So hopefully they're on the speedway to getting that info out to everyone! :)

They seem to be poky about the portal too... just about everywhere else, she got notice of her acceptance on the portal before she got the paper notification (which makes sense...), but she got her snailmail acceptance from UMass Amherst yesterday, and the portal still said things were pending... so we'll just have to see how timely they are in updating the financial piece!

UMass Lowell sent her her merit award with her acceptance in the same letter.  Same state system, so different...

• Like 1

Dd was accepted to Olin College of Engineering. Unless there are surprises tomorrow (unlikely) she will spend the next few weeks deciding between U of M (probably a better fit for her) and Olin (a hard opportunity to pass up, based on what older dd has experienced.)

Congratulations!  Olin's supposed to be a fantastic school!  I tried to get dd to apply there, but she was adamant she didn't want to go to such a tiny school (it's just about 300 total, isn't it?).  I'm pretty sure kids there can take classes at Wellesley and Babson too.

Congrats! Williams is the dream school for us. Please do share a bit more about background.

Our background is a bit different. DDs (identical twins) started off in school and were skipped two grades by their non-US primary school in a country that restricts homeschooling. We then moved to a country where homeschooling is permitted but not widespread, using an internet school that follows the national curriculum from the first country. We did a combo of me teaching, tutors for languages, internet school, just mixed it all up as we saw fit. All bilingually. Did two or three years in one year, took two years to do one year of other subjects, etc. After a couple of years we moved to the UK.

DDs took national exams in first country that got them a very good high school diploma that would guarantee them admission to university in any subject they wanted in first country. So that was the backup plan if the US/UK schools didn't work out.

Because they were two years young, they chose not to go to uni. One decided to go abroad with a US high school year abroad program. She was in China last year and Italy this year. The other decided to do UK Sixth Form, getting a choral scholarship to a good but not academically top-ranked school that has been a fantastic fit for her. We are SO glad they chose to go this route, even if it's been a bit crazy at times. They had the benefit of homeschooling and now are enjoying a couple of years of regular school knowing that they have their diploma already. It's been very difficult to capture their experience on the Common App, but the schools seem to be grasping it all right. HTH.

• Like 12

Is UMass the one that gives homeschoolers a hard time? Sounds like huge congratulations are in order!!

They usually don't bother you about admittance, just matriculation - in other words, they'd take a homeschool transcript to let you in, but before you matriculate they've wanted impossible stuff.  Although just this year, they've amended their stance toward homeschoolers and will take 24+ DE credits as proof of graduation in lieu of a GED or the 'diploma from an accredited homeschool association' imaginary unicorn.

Although, for full disclosure, this is my one kid who went and stayed in ps for high school.  The other two are doing mostly DE at this point, and if the younger one did decide to go to UMass (used to be her top choice, but she's recently thinking otherwise), the DE credits would make it okay...

One more to add: DS was accepted to Brigham Young University, and will be attending in the fall. He has 3 other acceptances in hand, but BYU cannot be beat for the price and the quality of education offered in his major.

He is really excited, and I couldn't be happier for him!

• Like 21

Dd was accepted to Olin College of Engineering. Unless there are surprises tomorrow (unlikely) she will spend the next few weeks deciding between U of M (probably a better fit for her) and Olin (a hard opportunity to pass up, based on what older dd has experienced.)

And now waitlisted at Cornell. It seemed like a good fit for her, but we never had a chance to visit, which I know they take into consideration.

She managed to hit every category: accepted early at U of M, deferred at Chicago, rejected from Caltech, admitted regular to Olin, and now wait listed at Cornell. Such an experience! :D

• Like 20

Update on Temple University, and emailed response to application, that my dd would have to take the GED since "your mother signed your transcript." Admission counselor directed me to one sentence on website that stated student needed a transcript from an accredited high school, along with 4 English classes, 3 social studies, etc.  I called and my dd called, at least hoping to get our application fee back, but he insisted we should have know this before she applied.  Now, 3 weeks later she received an acceptance letter!  Hope that helps somebody!

DD was also accepted to: Gordon College-merit scholarship, Wheaton College-merit scholarship, Messiah College-Honors Program and Merit Scholarship, Macalaster College, and Grove City College, 

• Like 17

Update on Temple University, and emailed response to application, that my dd would have to take the GED since "your mother signed your transcript." Admission counselor directed me to one sentence on website that stated student needed a transcript from an accredited high school, along with 4 English classes, 3 social studies, etc.  I called and my dd called, at least hoping to get our application fee back, but he insisted we should have know this before she applied.  Now, 3 weeks later she received an acceptance letter!  Hope that helps somebody!

DD was also accepted to: Gordon College-merit scholarship, Wheaton College-merit scholarship, Messiah College-Honors Program and Merit Scholarship, Macalaster College, and Grove City College, 

I'm hoping someone updated that admissions counselor to our new law that says homeschool diplomas are to be treated just like any other diploma - at least for state residents.

Pitt, Penn St, & Temple used to be a major pain in the butt, but that's supposed to not be allowed any longer (again, at least for in-state residents since we have accountability during homeschooling years).

Congrats (overall) to your DD!

• Like 1

Do you know if Pitt and Penn St award their scholarships to homeschoolers?

Pitt awarded a nice one to my guy.  They were our second least expensive school.  U Alabama was third lowest.

For in state students, the minimum needed for any (decent) merit scholarship seems to be a 33 on the ACT.  I've heard it can go lower for out of state, but that's just hearsay.  I think the 33 was on their website somewhere, but can't guarantee that memory since it's been a few years.

Has anyone had luck going back to a school and getting them to fill a gap that big?  I'm trying to figure out if it's worth asking them to meet our EFC (she'd still have loans and work-study), or if they'd just laugh and she should give up on them.

I don't want to be discouraging, but I've never heard of a school completely closing a gap that big with need-based aid. I have definitely heard of them making better offers upon request/review, so doesn't hurt to ask, but the new offer will be for the first year only.  I would assume that subsequent years would be similar to your initial offer, so you'd have to be able to work with that.

Tell her your posts are to inspire other moms to continue homeschooling through high school.  Lots of people check these threads around 8th grade, terrified they are going to destroy their child's future.  This long list of acceptances helps reassure them that it can be fine (even great!)

And having a list of universities in the program is par for the course at public and private high school graduations in my area, so it's not even unusual. They like to brag on their students just as much as we do! Seeing the list in black and white definitely goes a long way toward soothing parents' nerves, and shutting up naysayers, lol. 

I don't want to be discouraging, but I've never heard of a school completely closing a gap that big with need-based aid. I have definitely heard of them making better offers upon request/review, so doesn't hurt to ask, but the new offer will be for the first year only. I would assume that subsequent years would be similar to your initial offer, so you'd have to be able to work with that.

Well, I did end up asking. The first thing they asked was if there was anything more in our finances to show more need. Uh, I said we could meet our EFC, so we're not arguing those calculations. The problem is the large gap between that and what we're *actually* expected to pay...

They did also ask to see the competing offers, though, so I've sent those off. And it turns out the way they wrote it that the work-study offer was not included in the gap, so that improves things just a little. Not expecting anything, but figured it was worth a shot.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 4

Ds last acceptance came last week. Ramapo College.

He made his decision today. It was a tough call for him. He had narrowed it down to Clark and Mcdaniel. Both excellent schools. The winner is Mcdaniel. Which makes me thrilled because they came through with the largest merit aid award.

• Like 15

Kewb,

I added his acceptance. If you'd like, we also have a decisions thread so that people can see the final list of where everyone is headed so maybe pop over there and post it. Please let me know his major as well, and then anything else you'd like to put in the post about the school or how the decision was arrived at will be much appreciated by everyone. Thanks.

• Like 1

And having a list of universities in the program is par for the course at public and private high school graduations in my area, so it's not even unusual. They like to brag on their students just as much as we do! Seeing the list in black and white definitely goes a long way toward soothing parents' nerves, and shutting up naysayers, lol. 

I'm always looking at the list we have at my high school (on a bulletin board) of where students are accepted and how much they get in merit aid offers (if any).  It's one of my highlights each year to share in their dreams.  

I love following threads on here for the same reason - shared hopes and dreams.

It gives me hope for our planet/nation with the future.

• Like 4

So excited, D was awarded the full ride-plus Stamps scholarship to Georgia Tech. This is my kiddo who was homeschooled all the way through, so pretty cool. Final decision yet to be made, but the field is narrowing.

Congratulations to your dd! I'm sure there is a lot of happy dancing in your house!

• Like 2

So excited, D was awarded the full ride-plus Stamps scholarship to Georgia Tech. This is my kiddo who was homeschooled all the way through, so pretty cool. Final decision yet to be made, but the field is narrowing.

Congrats to her! The Stamps scholarship is amazing, and of course super-competitive. 

• Like 1

Having just been at a couple of club (fun) performances my middle son was in, two things come to mind:

1)  College really can be a super fun experience (in addition to academics) for kids.  We were talking with (and overhearing) many of the seniors who have spent 4 years together sharing lives.  They are both excited about their futures and already noting that they're going to miss so many of their peers next year.  I feel for thrilled and sad for them at the same time.

and

2)  Think the high school years fly by?  The college years go by even more swiftly.

then

3)  How I miss my college years.  Like them, we too had a blast, but it's over in the blink of an eye.  I'm really glad we can tag on and share their journeys while also reminiscing in our own minds (and conversations).

Enjoy the journey with them, and if they don't on their own, encourage them to get involved in some clubs they enjoy.  The two middle son was just in, dance and juggling, are both things he 100% picked up in college - solely because they sounded interesting.  (There have been others he's enjoyed too, Christian, ASL, chess, etc, but these happened to be performing groups.)

• Like 4

Having just been at a couple of club (fun) performances my middle son was in, two things come to mind:

1)  College really can be a super fun experience (in addition to academics) for kids.  We were talking with (and overhearing) many of the seniors who have spent 4 years together sharing lives.  They are both excited about their futures and already noting that they're going to miss so many of their peers next year.  I feel for thrilled and sad for them at the same time.

and

2)  Think the high school years fly by?  The college years go by even more swiftly.

then

3)  How I miss my college years.  Like them, we too had a blast, but it's over in the blink of an eye.  I'm really glad we can tag on and share their journeys while also reminiscing in our own minds (and conversations).

Enjoy the journey with them, and if they don't on their own, encourage them to get involved in some clubs they enjoy.  The two middle son was just in, dance and juggling, are both things he 100% picked up in college - solely because they sounded interesting.  (There have been others he's enjoyed too, Christian, ASL, chess, etc, but these happened to be performing groups.)

Oldest ds is about to graduate.  I do wish time slowed down for him during the past four years.  He loved every minute of his college experience and, yes, he even picked up dancing, too!

• Like 6

Oldest ds is about to graduate.  I do wish time slowed down for him during the past four years.  He loved every minute of his college experience and, yes, he even picked up dancing, too!

OMgosh!  He's about to graduate - already???!!!!!

How did that happen?

:cheers2: Congrats to your family!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll mention which schools ds18 was accepted to now.  It might be helpful for any Nova Scotian or Canadian homeschoolers.

Dalhousie University, BSc program, with small scholarship

Saint Mary's University, BSc program, with big scholarship

Mount Saint Vincent University, BSc program

Nova Scotia Community College, Aviation tech program

SMU was actually the toughest to apply to - they didn't even want to consider a homeschooler for a regular program (ds would have had to enroll in open courses to prove himself, and there'd be no chance for scholarships the first year).  But in the end, they did admit him to the BSc program, with a very generous scholarship!

• Like 11

SMU was actually the toughest to apply to - they didn't even want to consider a homeschooler for a regular program (ds would have had to enroll in open courses to prove himself, and there'd be no chance for scholarships the first year).  But in the end, they did admit him to the BSc program, with a very generous scholarship!

This is fascinating, Colleen.  What do you think changed their mind?

Congratulations. 

This is fascinating, Colleen.  What do you think changed their mind?

Congratulations. 

I'm not sure...the same admissions guy who told me a couple of years ago and last summer that that was their policy, then changed his tune when he heard ds's actual SAT scores last fall.  He then asked me if we could meet with the associate (dean? I think?) of the science dept., to which I responded, "Uh YES PLEASE!"  After that (short) meeting, ds received his acceptance and scholarship offer!  All I can think is that dean/professor thought ds would make a good student there.

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Adding my beloved daughter to the list!

Accepted early at Saint Anselm College (her first choice), into the honors program with a significant scholarship.  She also applied (because I insisted lol) to was also accepted into my Alma Mater (Saint Michael's) with a similar package.  She's headed to Saint Anselm in the fall, and absolutely thrilled.  I sure wish I could have seen this 12 years ago - I would have done a lot less worrying and defending myself!

Congratulations  to everyone - no matter their path - college, tech school, gap year, it's all good, and it's all success!

Penny

• Like 13

DD was accepted at a number of schools but narrowed it down to Pratt and Carnegie Mellon's School of Design. She decided on CMU.

BTW, Pratt was finally convinced that a homeschool diploma and final transcript from NJ is considered official and a GED is not needed. HSLDA helped me on that.

Congratulations to everyone!

Edited by mamato4
  • Like 14

We're adding one more late acceptance. Dd has been accepted to University of Arkansas - Fort Smith. Her stats gave her guaranteed acceptance there, but getting their ducks in a row took far longer than it should have.

Dd hasn't decided where to go yet. We have 2 deposits down. Neither school is competitive or has a waiting list, so we aren't keeping anyone else out. The deposits are refundable until June 1st, so she has a couple weeks to get it figured out. She will make a decision as soon as UAFS evaluates her transfer credits which we'll send on Monday when final grades are in at the CC.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Just popping in after a long hiatus to update our status.

DD16 applied early action to The Master's College and was accepted with a couple of nice scholarships.

Congratulations to all you other Class of '16 board moms and your kids! It's so exciting to check in and see some familiar names and all the different places our kids are going, whether proud or humble.

• Like 7