Menu

Teen dies after church beating

Kathryn

This couple, along with other church members, beat two of their sons at church to make them confess to "previous sins." One is dead, the other in serious condition after police found him hidden in the church.

What do you want to bet they homeschooled? It looks like the 33yo daughter was adopted and the couple seem old to have teens and younger (one article said four of the children removed from the church, aged 2-15, were theirs), so I'm going out on a limb and guessing they're that particular brand of Christian that adopts overseas kids and beats them into submission. Another article quotes a neighbor saying how strict they were and they made the kids read the bible two hours each day and didn't let them out of the house much.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0S82NA20151014

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/the-latest-police-ny-church-beating-came-amid-counseling/2015/10/14/718d4a50-7299-11e5-ba14-318f8e87a2fc_story.html

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/14/police-say-couple-beat-son-to-death-in-new-york-church/

I'm not going to read the articles because they would only depress me, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're yet more Pearl followers. Smh. I never though I would advocate censoring a book until I heard about TTUAC.

How old were the children who were beaten?

The neighbors, including the local priest, said it didn't seem very Christian or churchlike. Seems like a cult. I am not one to defend weird church stuff but this seems beyond the pale! It was very secretive and private according to the reports. What a tragedy.

• Like 1

The article I read said that yes, they were homeschooled.  Made a point of the fact that all the boy's parents had to do was send in a curriculum report every year (they're in NY, I thought they had a lot more oversight than that?).  Why does the media have to keep bringing it back to homeschooling?  Homeschooling does not lead to bad/abusive parenting.  There are millions of us who go through our child's entire life without ever once laying a hand on them. 

• Like 4

The article I read said that yes, they were homeschooled. Made a point of the fact that all the boy's parents had to do was send in a curriculum report every year (they're in NY, I thought they had a lot more oversight than that?). Why does the media have to keep bringing it back to homeschooling? Homeschooling does not lead to bad/abusive parenting. There are millions of us who go through our child's entire life without ever once laying a hand on them.

This is localish to me (an hour from where I live now, near where I grew up), and you're right about NY's regulations. There are quarterly reports in addition to instruction plans and annual assessments, which must be a standardized test in certain years from 4-8, and every year from 9-12. Either the district wasn't paying attention and they were flying under the radar, or they passed muster (33rd percentile minimum).

• Like 2

Why does the media have to keep bringing it back to homeschooling?  Homeschooling does not lead to bad/abusive parenting.  There are millions of us who go through our child's entire life without ever once laying a hand on them. 

Of course homeschooling does not cause bad and abusive parenting. But it does make it easier for abusive parents to carry out abuse  because it affords them the possibility of isolating their children completely or by surrounding them only with people who have equally wacko ideas.

• Like 23

A New York couple was charged with manslaughter in the death of their 19-year-old son after allegedly beating him for hours during a family counseling session inside the "sanctuary room" of an upstate Christian church, police said on Wednesday.

Counseling. Sanctuary. 

• Like 1

This couple, along with other church members, beat two of their sons at church to make them confess to "previous sins." One is dead, the other in serious condition after police found him hidden in the church.

What do you want to bet they homeschooled? It looks like the 33yo daughter was adopted and the couple seem old to have teens and younger (one article said four of the children removed from the church, aged 2-15, were theirs), so I'm going out on a limb and guessing they're that particular brand of Christian that adopts overseas kids and beats them into submission. Another article quotes a neighbor saying how strict they were and they made the kids read the bible two hours each day and didn't let them out of the house much.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0S82NA20151014

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/the-latest-police-ny-church-beating-came-amid-counseling/2015/10/14/718d4a50-7299-11e5-ba14-318f8e87a2fc_story.html

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/14/police-say-couple-beat-son-to-death-in-new-york-church/

Insane whack jobs.

Additional details. The sister is actually a step-sister according to this article, and the other children taken are hers. The teen apparently was trying to leave the congregation and that what prompted this. (Warning: article contains details of the beating and its duration).

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/16/us/new-york-church-assault-case/

• Like 1

Additional details. The sister is actually a step-sister according to this article, and the other children taken are hers. The teen apparently was trying to leave the congregation and that what prompted this. (Warning: article contains details of the beating and its duration).

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/16/us/new-york-church-assault-case/

His injuries were so bad the ER initially thought he'd been shot. How horrible. :(

Why only manslaughter?!?

Wow- whack job isn't a powerful enough word here. Not sure how the Pearls were brought into this, but they don't condone this type of behavior either- even as harsh as they may seem.

They sit there in interviews with creepy smiles and deny that they condone anything that caused a death but when you read their own words, they say never give up and that the child must obey to be saved. What exactly do they think that means for kids who WILL NOT bend to the will of their abusers?

They do not have plausible deniability. They absolutely do propagate these messages of easy fix via beating. They are disgusting and I wish I believed in hell so that they could go there.

• Like 7

His injuries were so bad the ER initially thought he'd been shot. How horrible. :(

Why only manslaughter?!?

The article I read indicated that the parents (or at least the mother) were there but didn't actually do the beating. Hence the lesser charge.

The place does sound like a cult.

The article I read indicated that the parents (or at least the mother) were there but didn't actually do the beating. Hence the lesser charge.

The place does sound like a cult.

That's not what I've read. The local police cief said the parents and others did the beating. The mother told police she and the sister hit them with a cord.

I don't understand how he died. Was he tied down? He should have been able to overpower them, but it doesn't sound like he even tried. I admit to not reading all of the articles.

The details are not available. However, the idea that he could overpower at least six adults is unrealistic. 

• Like 5

What do you want to bet they homeschooled? It looks like the 33yo daughter was adopted and the couple seem old to have teens and younger (one article said four of the children removed from the church, aged 2-15, were theirs), so I'm going out on a limb and guessing they're that particular brand of Christian that adopts overseas kids and beats them into submission.

Were the brothers adopted?

They sit there in interviews with creepy smiles and deny that they condone anything that caused a death but when you read their own words, they say never give up and that the child must obey to be saved. What exactly do they think that means for kids who WILL NOT bend to the will of their abusers?

They do not have plausible deniability. They absolutely do propagate these messages of easy fix via beating. They are disgusting and I wish I believed in hell so that they could go there.

I'm too literal-minded to use the "like" button, so: :iagree:  with :cursing:  added because the "agree" guy is smiling.

This.