Menu

NCAA homeschool requirements

Can anyone share some transcript examples and tips you've used to register a child in the NCAA?  This is something I never thought I'd be doing and we have a fairly relaxed homeschool.  My highschooler is in 11th grade, so I'm hoping I have recorded enough information from the past few years to be adequate.  I'm just afraid not doing standard school type stuff will be a negative in this case, so some been there and done that would be great.  Thank you.

Alison

You only need to worry about the 16 "Core Courses." Download the list of core course requirements and a copy of the Core Course Worksheet, and go from there.

They definitely prefer standard/generic type course titles — even if the transcript you send to colleges has titles like "The Epic in World Literature," "Greek Tragedy," "Literary Theory & Metafiction," you will want to call your English courses on the NCAA Core Worksheets something like English 9, 10, 11, 12, or Literature & Composition I, Lit & Comp II, etc.  There is a list of acceptable/approved courses on their website.

For courses where PS would generally use a textbook but you don't (e.g. history), you might want to grab a cheap used copy of a standard text to use as a reference, pull a few discussion questions from, etc., so you can list that in your materials for that class.

If you have DE classes that will fulfill any of the Core requirements, those will save you some time and hassle. If you have other online classes, like Landry or Lukeion, make sure to list yourself as the Teacher of Record and the other teacher as supplementary.

BTW, no one at NCAA will even look at your child's paperwork until a coach formally asks for a review, so unless you're pretty sure your student will be playing an NCAA sport at a Div I or II school, and can get a coach interested enough to request a review, there's not much point in paying the fee and jumping through lots of hoops.

• Like 1

BTW, no one at NCAA will even look at your child's paperwork until a coach formally asks for a review, so unless you're pretty sure your student will be playing an NCAA sport at a Div I or II school, and can get a coach interested enough to request a review, there's not much point in paying the fee and jumping through lots of hoops.

:iagree:

I am happy to share NCAA docs.  Just PM me your email address.

You only need to worry about the 16 "Core Courses." Download the list of core course requirements and a copy of the Core Course Worksheet, and go from there.

They definitely prefer standard/generic type course titles — even if the transcript you send to colleges has titles like "The Epic in World Literature," "Greek Tragedy," "Literary Theory & Metafiction," you will want to call your English courses on the NCAA Core Worksheets something like English 9, 10, 11, 12, or Literature & Composition I, Lit & Comp II, etc.  There is a list of acceptable/approved courses on their website.

For courses where PS would generally use a textbook but you don't (e.g. history), you might want to grab a cheap used copy of a standard text to use as a reference, pull a few discussion questions from, etc., so you can list that in your materials for that class.

If you have DE classes that will fulfill any of the Core requirements, those will save you some time and hassle. If you have other online classes, like Landry or Lukeion, make sure to list yourself as the Teacher of Record and the other teacher as supplementary.

Thank you.  This is very helpful.