Menu

Manhattan Woman Sues Nephew for $127,000 After Breaking Her Wrist During 8-Year-Old’s Hug

Elfknitter.#

Wow. And apparently the kid's mother died last year, and she still continued the lawsuit? Because she had trouble holding a plate of appetizers at a party??? And the suit was actually against the KID, not the parent??????

I know cursing is frowned upon around here, but I hope you will all join me in thinking that this woman is a complete asshole.

• Like 49

Wow. And apparently the kid's mother died last year, and she still continued the lawsuit? Because she had trouble holding a plate of appetizers at a party??? And the suit was actually against the KID, not the parent??????

I know cursing is frowned upon around here, but I hope you will all join me in thinking that this woman is a complete asshole.

I think there is something more going on here. 

• Like 3

"I was at a party recently, and it was difficult to hold my hors d'oeuvre plate," Connell said.

Sue them! Sue them all! I can't stuff my face when I have a broken wrist. My social life is going down the tubes. 

What an entitled brat. 

"a reasonable eight years(sic) old under those circumstances would know or should have known that a forceful greeting such as the one delivered by the defendant to the plaintiff could cause the harms and losses suffered by the plaintiff."

1) She obviously isn't around kids much. 

2) Maybe the child was a bit rambunctious, but accidents happen. 

3) The parents should have offered to take care of the medical bills, but suing for that amount is a bit much. 

• Like 5

I bet the homeowner's insurance wouldn't pay out or something and she's trying to cash in on a life insurance pay out.  Regardless, super klassy aunt behavoir toward a kid who already lost his mom.  I had an 8 year old boy once.  Maybe everyone in range of a boy under 10 should have to sign a waiver.  Jeez.  If she's still having hand problems, see an ortho and/or a PT and work on it.  I'm pretty sure that just trashed their relationship.

• Like 5

She was basically suing an child for being over-excited at his 8th birthday party ?!

Not being able to hold the hors d'oeuvres plate - it's like something from the Onion

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: The quote is so cheese ball, it does sound like the Onion.  I was just coming back to say that.  Seriously lady.  Stand next to a cocktail table and set it down if it's so hard for you.

• Like 5

I do have an 8yo who has needed to be told many times to be less physical in her affections.  I have worried that she'd hurt someone.  She doesn't seem to believe that she's that big.  Thankfully she has learned to stop before she does silly things like that.

I bet the homeowner's insurance wouldn't pay out or something and she's trying to cash in on a life insurance pay out.  Regardless, super klassy aunt behavoir toward a kid who already lost his mom.  I had an 8 year old boy once.  Maybe everyone in range of a boy under 10 should have to sign a waiver.  Jeez.  If she's still having hand problems, see an ortho and/or a PT and work on it.  I'm pretty sure that just trashed their relationship.

And if she lives on the Upper East Side and is attending fancy parties, I'm guessing she can probably afford to see an ortho without having to sue a child.

• Like 4

And the article said that the boy, at the time, was fifty pounds. My dd is seven, still on the smallish side compared to her friends, and she's nearly fifty pounds. So the kid was a pretty small eight year old. It's not like she was pummeled by a kid the size of your average linebacker. 

• Like 5

I have to say, I have an 8 year old nephew that weighs 94 pounds.  More than my 11 year old.  Heck, he weighs like 10 pounds less than my almost 15 year old.  She should thank her lucky stars she isn't related to that kid.  He has been told 80,000 times he can't jump on people or run into people.  Impulse control in the 8 year old is a work in progress.  Especially in the midst of cake and soda and birthday gifts. 

• Like 2

I didn't think they were. Maybe the kid's inheritance is in some kind of trust and she's suing that? I have no idea if that's possible, but I'm pretty sure I saw it in a movie once.

I believe the mom's death was a suicide, and there is speculation there is some money in a trust that can't be accessed and that she and the dad have come up with this plan.

• Like 1

They wouldn't even have to modify anything.  The thought makes me wonder if some news reporter accidentally saw an Onion story and picked it up.

That's what I thought, but then I saw varying articles in different places and a couple clearly written before and then after the court case happened.  It just seemed so Onion-y.  Truth certainly can be stranger than fiction.

• Like 2

According to the news reports, though, the lawsuit was originally filed 2 years ago and the mother just died last year, so unless there is a much deeper conspiracy there, where the husband and aunt somehow knew the mother would die and leave money to the kid, then I don't see how it could be a plot on the father's part to get at the kid's inheritance. 

Obviously still an incredibly slimy move on the aunt's part, though.  :thumbdown:

• Like 2

People like her deserve a punishment. If I was the judge I'd have probably tried to fine her for the time that the court spent in her case. What she did is so wrong! And what a waste of resources to deal with her case...would have been great if not only she didn't get anything, but got penalized in the process...

• Like 8

People like her deserve a punishment. If I was the judge I'd have probably tried to fine her for the time that the court spent in her case. What she did is so wrong! And what a waste of resources to deal with her case...would have been great if not only she didn't get anything, but got penalized in the process...

I hope she had to pay all his legal bills - and then some. what a thing to do to a young child who has just lost his mother.

• Like 1

Huh? I don't understand.

Because it's $800,000? I'm sure that wouldn't buy much house in that part of Connecticut.

The aunt lives in a third story walk up in NYC (probably a rental) while her cousin has purchased a home that is worth $800k. Having lived in Norwalk, CT (one of the neighboring towns), the salaries are NOT much higher and there has to be some money somewhere to afford a house that expensive. It's irrelevant that it's not "much" house, what's relevant is that their purchase of a $800k house after the housing crash when mortgage underwriting became stricter shows that the family has money/assets and I'm guessing Auntie hurt herself and saw a way to get some of it.

• Like 2

The aunt lives in a third story walk up in NYC (probably a rental) while her cousin has purchased a home that is worth $800k. Having lived in Norwalk, CT (one of the neighboring towns), the salaries are NOT much higher and there has to be some money somewhere to afford a house that expensive. It's irrelevant that it's not "much" house, what's relevant is that their purchase of a $800k house after the housing crash when mortgage underwriting became stricter shows that the family has money/assets and I'm guessing Auntie hurt herself and saw a way to get some of it.

I live in a neighborhood of $800k houses and I'm surrounded by firefighters and police officers. Many of them bought here after the housing crash because they could show a history of job stability.

I live in a neighborhood of $800k houses and I'm surrounded by firefighters and police officers. Many of them bought here after the housing crash because they could show a history of job stability.

Are the houses worth $800k now or did they pay $800k then? He paid $800k then.

Let's say Sean's dad was able to save and put down 5 percent on the house - $40,000. His house payment using the average 30 yr fixed interest rate at the time of 6% would still be about $4500 per month or about $55,000 per year. Add in taxes, insurance and PMI and you're at $6000 per month or $70k per year just in housing costs. And that's assuming an average rate. A $760k loan would be in the jumbo range with a higher interest rate.

Down and dirty rule is purchase price equal to 3 times annual salary. Some people stretch it to 4 but Connecticut has very high sales, income and property taxes. With both spouses working, there are then childcare costs offsetting a portion of the second spouse's income.

So, again, the family either had family money/ assets or were making enough money to afford a house that expensive (in the $200-300k/yr range). Either way, I think Auntie was jealous.