Menu

I feel so bad

Night Elf

DH got to work a few minutes before 8 and I had to call him at 8:15 with a house emergency. I was going to scrub the tub but when I turned the plastic faucet handle, it broke and I couldn't turn the water off. So I used a screwdriver to pop the plastic piece out and tried using pliers on the metal shaft inside but they won't grip. So I took out one of my kitchen drawer rubber liners to use it as a grippy and put it on the metal shaft then put the pliers on top of that and I still can't get a grip to turn the water off! So DH has to leave work and drive the 30 minutes back home to deal with this. I don't know what we're going to do if he can't get that water turned off. Maybe if he puts another new handle on it. Hmm.. I'll suggest it to him. But that's going to mean a trip to the store to buy one which is even more time away from work. They won't get mad at him for being gone. They are very relaxed. I just know he's working a case that is taking his attention. *sigh* I feel so inept!

Ugh. It's too early to deal with water problems.

If you do not have a shut off valve for the pipe that leads directly to the handle that broke (my guess would be you don't), then you will likely have to turn off the main water valve which would shut off water to the entire house but would allow someone to fix the broken handle without water spurting all over. Supply valves are usually oval or round shaped. Most homes have them on their toilets and sometimes appliances (or they should have them).

Here's an explanation of valves and where you can find them:

http://www.familyhandyman.com/plumbing/valves/how-to-locate-your-gas-shutoff-valve-and-water-shutoff-valve/view-all

• Like 1

I have no idea where the shut off valve may be. The water wasn't running fast and my kids are known to take long showers so this wasn't as bad as so much water from a shower. He was able to use regular pliers to turn it off. He's just stronger than me. Ds has to shower so DH took the handle off our shower to fix the hall bath's shower. At lunch he's going to buy a new handle and fix our shower. So crisis averted. The last time he needed to come home was because the toilet was running and I couldn't figure out how to make it stop. I was pulling on the thing in the tank. He came in, fixed a kink in the chain, and it was repaired. I guess I'm just not good with plumbing!

• Like 3

Just FYI, you might want to take this as a sign that your dh needs to show you where the major shut-offs are located. If there is an emergency (busted pipe, etc.) 30 minutes is a pretty long wait!

• Like 10

It's good to know where all shut off are. Gas, water... I admit I have labelled them all with big signs.

"Water shut off. Turn off if leaving house for more then 24 hours"

"Gas shut off for stove"

Every few months of so I give my boys a tour of the house from room to room and tell them how to deal with certain things in each room.

• Like 1