Menu

What are everyone's favorite food websites?

LuvToRead

Mel's Kitchen Cafe www.melskitchencafe.com -- Mel has great family-friendly food. I love that she doesn't use a ton of processed ingredients, yet the recipes are still pretty easy to prepare and taste great.

Serious Eats www.seriouseats.com -- This site combines food science and experimentation with fun, like Cook's Illustrated without all the pretense. Which makes sense as one of the site's editors, J. Kenji Alt, is a former CI test kitchen chef. He developed CI's famous vodka pie crust technique but can't talk about it because CI is so strict with their intellectual property. So he struck out for bigger and better and now develops some great recipes for SE.

Cooking Light (and other magazines) www.myrecipes.com -- I often read the print magazine, then use this site to add the recipes that look good to my Plan To Eat account.

• Like 3

I use Simply Recipes, Southern Living (which actually links to myrecipes, mentioned above), Splendid TableMartha Stewart Everyday Food the most.  I do have a complaint with Everyday Food - sometimes the link goes to a video and I can't find the actual recipe to read.  But that doesn't happen too often.

All of these are in my Facebook feed.

• Like 1

I have long used recipes on allrecipes.com.  I only will use recipes with high ratings, and I always look at the most helpful reviews for suggestions and tweaks to the original recipe.  I've used the site for about 8 years, and we have yet to be disappointed.  Even when I see something that looks good on a different website, I will usually search for it on allrecipes to make sure it will turn out well.

• Like 4

I pull what I like from so many websites but a few of my favorites:

www.ohsheglows.com

www.againstallgrain.com

www.budgetbytes.com

www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com

Usually when I need inspiration I type in the search bar the ingredients I have and then see what comes up. For example, yesterday I stumbled upon a recipe for ginger-sesame portobello mushrooms. Everyone, except my mushroom hating daughter, loved them.

• Like 2

I have long used recipes on allrecipes.com.  I only will use recipes with high ratings, and I always look at the most helpful reviews for suggestions and tweaks to the original recipe.  I've used the site for about 8 years, and we have yet to be disappointed.  Even when I see something that looks good on a different website, I will usually search for it on allrecipes to make sure it will turn out well.

I have to admit, I don't like their new website.  They used to be my go-to site.  I hate having to click through each individual review now. 

ETA:  I think that came out a little more negative than I intended.  :blushing:  I apologize for that.  I still like allrecipes, and have tons of recipe from there, but I am disappointed in the new website. 

• Like 3

I have long used recipes on allrecipes.com. I only will use recipes with high ratings, and I always look at the most helpful reviews for suggestions and tweaks to the original recipe. I've used the site for about 8 years, and we have yet to be disappointed. Even when I see something that looks good on a different website, I will usually search for it on allrecipes to make sure it will turn out well.

Me too. I could have written this post.

• Like 2

The thing with allrecipes is you almost need to read the reviews.  Which is fine.  But now I can't figure out how to view more than one entire review at a time.   I find myself clicking between each review, and that annoys me.  Am I doing something wrong?  If there is a way to view several reviews on one page, I would love to know.  I know I can see partial reviews at the bottom of the page, but I am talking about the entire reviews.

Mel's Kitchen Cafe www.melskitchencafe.com -- Mel has great family-friendly food. I love that she doesn't use a ton of processed ingredients, yet the recipes are still pretty easy to prepare and taste great.

Serious Eats www.seriouseats.com -- This site combines food science and experimentation with fun, like Cook's Illustrated without all the pretense. Which makes sense as one of the site's editors, J. Kenji Alt, is a former CI test kitchen chef. He developed CI's famous vodka pie crust technique but can't talk about it because CI is so strict with their intellectual property. So he struck out for bigger and better and now develops some great recipes for SE.

Cooking Light (and other magazines) www.myrecipes.com -- I often read the print magazine, then use this site to add the recipes that look good to my Plan To Eat account.

Serious eats looks great!  I love Cook's Illustrated because of the science. 

I have to admit, I don't like their new website.  They used to be my go-to site.  I hate having to click through each individual review now. 

ETA:  I think that came out a little more negative than I intended.  :blushing:  I apologize for that.  I still like allrecipes, and have tons of recipe from there, but I am disappointed in the new website. 

I used to go to allrecipes daily. It was my goto site for everything.  I loved their site.  However, I hate the new "pinterest" style. It's a visual overload and I can't find anything I want anymore.  I think I've been there twice since they changed the format.  If I wanted pinterest I'd go to pinterest, this style just doesn't work for my brain.

• Like 3

I love the Woks of Life.  It's a Chinese-American family with members on both continents, and they come together to share recipes on the blog.  Lots of Chinese food, some American, all really yummy (at least what we've tried!) http://thewoksoflife.com/

I love Chinese food, as well as my daughters.  DH doesn't care for it.  These may be some good recipes to try when he is working late or out of town.

I use Simply Recipes, Southern Living (which actually links to myrecipes, mentioned above), Splendid TableMartha Stewart Everyday Food the most.  I do have a complaint with Everyday Food - sometimes the link goes to a video and I can't find the actual recipe to read.  But that doesn't happen too often.

All of these are in my Facebook feed.

These all look great!  I do enjoy flipping through Southern Living at the library, so I need to check out their website.  Most of the Martha Stewart recipes I have tried have turned out well.

Another Kenji fan here!  He has a cookbook out called "The Food Lab" - and even though I need another cookbook like a hole in the head, I'm putting it on my Christmas list.

• Like 1

I second Simply Recipes and Smitten Kitchen, and will add Budget Bytes

I also like AllRecipes, and can usually tell by looking at the ingredients if it's something we'll like and/or if it's going to need tweaking. It seems to me there are a lot of recipes on there that need more flavor (aka herbs or other seasonings).

Smitten kitchen!

I used to like Joy the Baker, but I tried 3 recipes in a row that were flops.

I was a big fan of food.com back when it was recipezaar, but with each change I like it less. I still use it though. I need a good recipe website with reviews where I can search for recipes in chosen categories with chosen ingredients. Like main dish with pumpkin and black beans.