Menu

Book a Week 2015: BW41 alfred hitchcock

Robin M

Yes, this is a constant in James' fiction. The moment you see that early Victorian mahogany sofa, you know you're in the presence of a Bad Person.

You've got me intrigued, not least of all because I live in a land of Victorian houses and acquaintances own such furniture. If a neophyte were interested in reading their first James book, do you have one you would recommend?

Small correction.  The Vicar of Wakefield predates the Victorians--maybe Georgian?  I have not read the novel but Goldsmith wrote one of my favorite silly plays, She Stoops to Conquer.  That dates back to the 1770s.

Yes, thank you. I was mislead somewhere along the line when I read it was very popular with Victorian readers. The should have looked more closely at the date of publication.

I'm curious about Sicario. I don't know if I could handle it or not. I did watch Breaking Bad and 24 - often between my fingers. Would it be much worse than that?

I've watched 24 and Sicario is much more intense than that, not just in imagery and storyline, but also music and sound editing. I haven't seen Breaking Bad

as well as Stephen King's The Stand.

Woohoo! Enjoy.

This has been a frustrating reading week because I've had bronchitis teetering on the edge of pneumonia (getting better now) and then I ended up with a grade 3 uterine prolapse and my bladder is also prolapsed so I'm facing surgery (hysterectomy and transobturator tape bladder repair) next month and in a fair bit of discomfort and sometimes pain now so I haven't been able to really focus on reading. 

:grouphug:

Next month is a ways off. Can you get some pain relief from the doctor in the meantime?

• Like 10

I finished The Scorch Trials this morning.  It was okay.  I hate, hate, hate how for like 20 pages it was constantly "If you'd be quiet, I'll tell you why this is happening" and "Stop interrupting and I'll tell you" and, honestly, not everything was explained at all.  The word choices the author makes puzzle me sometimes.  They are distracting.  The writing level is not typical of a young adult book.  The Underland Chronicles, aimed at younger kids, has better writing and word choices for goodness sake!

So next I'll read the first Magnus Chase book (Rick Riordan).  Then I'll go back for the third Maze Runner book.

This has been a frustrating reading week because I've had bronchitis teetering on the edge of pneumonia (getting better now) and then I ended up with a grade 3 uterine prolapse and my bladder is also prolapsed so I'm facing surgery (hysterectomy and transobturator tape bladder repair) next month and in a fair bit of discomfort and sometimes pain now so I haven't been able to really focus on reading.  Well, maybe I could have focuses better if it was something better than The Scorch Trials that I was reading.  I don't know.

All I can say is maybe while waiting for the surgery since I can't be on my feet too much and then recovering from surgery I'll have lots of time to read.  I have 373 books in my to read file right now.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 8

I finished The Scorch Trials this morning. It was okay. I hate, hate, hate how for like 20 pages it was constantly "If you'd be quiet, I'll tell you why this is happening" and "Stop interrupting and I'll tell you" and, honestly, not everything was explained at all. The word choices the author makes puzzle me sometimes. They are distracting. The writing level is not typical of a young adult book. The Underland Chronicles, aimed at younger kids, has better writing and word choices for goodness sake!

So next I'll read the first Magnus Chase book (Rick Riordan). Then I'll go back for the third Maze Runner book.

This has been a frustrating reading week because I've had bronchitis teetering on the edge of pneumonia (getting better now) and then I ended up with a grade 3 uterine prolapse and my bladder is also prolapsed so I'm facing surgery (hysterectomy and transobturator tape bladder repair) next month and in a fair bit of discomfort and sometimes pain now so I haven't been able to really focus on reading. Well, maybe I could have focuses better if it was something better than The Scorch Trials that I was reading. I don't know.

All I can say is maybe while waiting for the surgery since I can't be on my feet too much and then recovering from surgery I'll have lots of time to read. I have 373 books in my to read file right now.

Liking your post to show support. I am so sorry that you are facing surgery. Best wishes as you recover from pneumonia now and surgery later.

Hugs.

• Like 11

You've got me intrigued, not least of all because I live in a land of Victorian houses and acquaintances own such furniture. If a neophyte were interested in reading their first James book, do you have one you would recommend?

VC, I would also like a recommendation for where I should start with James.

I'm beginning to think he & I will be of like mind since we obviously agree on Victorian sofas. :lol:

• Like 8

Next month is a ways off. Can you get some pain relief from the doctor in the meantime?

Not really.  She said to just take tylenol or motrin.  I have an adjustable bed and putting my legs up does relieve the pressure and allow the swelling to go down some.  That actually works better than medication, actually.  I've been looking at some yoga poses a couple people pointed me at that are helpful, too.  Mostly, I'm just staying off my feet as much as possible,

• Like 9

Maybe someone here who reads paranormal can help me out.  I've lost track of a series I was reading a few years ago and can't seem to place it.  At the time I was up to date, so it's possible that the author never continued writing, but I'm hoping that's not the case.  My memory is a little vague so bare with me, but the story was about a female lead and two men.  It was somewhat of a who will the girl end up with type of a story.  There was a bar that was the gateway to faerie, and I think that the one character had something to do with souls, maybe collecting them?  

• Like 8

I'm beginning to think he & I will be of like mind since we obviously agree on Victorian sofas. :lol:

And to think I was just lounging on my friend's Victorian sofa last week. (Did I mention the purple velvet!?) I didn't realize the implications at the time and will be more careful going forward.

• Like 9

And to think I was just lounging on my friend's Victorian sofa last week. (Did I mention the purple velvet!?) I didn't realize the implications at the time and will be more careful going forward.

:lol:

My sister has a hideous (imo) old pink, Victorian style sofa from our grandmother. To think there's one in my family! :svengo:  (I encourage my sister to toss it every time I'm at her house, but she always ignores me. Lol.)

• Like 8

I have to share my excitement with you all. It looks like dh and I will be in London in early 2016! I've been busy reading travel books, including one entitled Literary London, and I'm drooling over this Buzzfeed list of 14 beautiful independent bookstores in London.  I could use a little advice from those of you used to colder climes.  I haven't bought a winter coat since 1985, and my San Diego weight rain coat won't be warm enough especially since it isn't roomy enough to go over layers. So what does a city girl wear in the winter in London?  

I've already been in touch with Mumto2 but she likely will be on this side of "the pond" when we're there.

• Like 16

The thread is moving fast this week. I love most of the old Hitchcock movies and have watched all of them (I think) except for Psycho. I'm not interested in that one. I love love love the ones with Jimmy Stewart or Cary Grant.

I finished Good Omens. It was good to the last drop. Then I read a short story, The Body Snatchers by R.L. Stevenson. It was so- so. I'm currently reading The Witches by Roald Dahl, which I've never read before. I suspect I am too old to enjoy it properly. I think that may have been my problem with the Stevenson story too.

• Like 11

Maybe someone here who reads paranormal can help me out.  I've lost track of a series I was reading a few years ago and can't seem to place it.  At the time I was up to date, so it's possible that the author never continued writing, but I'm hoping that's not the case.  My memory is a little vague so bare with me, but the story was about a female lead and two men.  It was somewhat of a who will the girl end up with type of a story.  There was a bar that was the gateway to faerie, and I think that the one character had something to do with souls, maybe collecting them?  

It doesn't sound like anything I've read.  I tried to do a little searching though.  Could it be the Trickster series?  Book one is

Trick of the Light by Rob Thurman.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Maybe someone here who reads paranormal can help me out. I've lost track of a series I was reading a few years ago and can't seem to place it. At the time I was up to date, so it's possible that the author never continued writing, but I'm hoping that's not the case. My memory is a little vague so bare with me, but the story was about a female lead and two men. It was somewhat of a who will the girl end up with type of a story. There was a bar that was the gateway to faerie, and I think that the one character had something to do with souls, maybe collecting them?

Doesn't sound familiar to me either. Have you looked at the paranormal lists over on Goodreads?

Butter :grouphug: I think you deserve to read some fluffy books.....

• Like 8

So are the morally-questionable people with Victorian sofas in James' novels always female, or are there morally-questionable male Victorian sofa owners too?

Bad taste in furnishings knows no boundaries.

If I had to start James from the beginning again, I would start with one of these two minor novels: The Spoils of Poynton, or Washington Square.

It can be hard to get the hang of reading James; besides lengthy sentences, he carries thoughts a long way, often leaving me looking back half a page to see what non-concrete noun "it" or "they" could be referring to. He has certain recurring and perplexing expressions, such as "he took it," meaning "he accepted the observation that had just been made regarding himself and gave it due consideration." And he expects you to pay attention to all interpersonal dynamics and internal states, and to how other people are reacting to those. There is usually a key "crisis" scene somewhere in the second half of the novel in which crucial realizations are made, but it's not necessarily a scene with much or any action. (Ironically James was a much more successful director of theatrical tableaus in his novels than when he actually tried directing.) Action is subtle and you have to pay attention.

If that didn't put you off too much, there is deep emotional satisfaction in completing a James novel. At least for me. Poynton and Washington Square have all the James things going on, but not so subtly as to leave a new reader confused. Oh, and Poynton is in fact entirely about furniture, in a way. :D

• Like 10

Thanks to idnib and your succinct and delightful guide to James, I'm now on chapter 3. I think I adore Mrs. Gareth as much as I do Mrs Elton in Emma.

Oh, yes.

"It was an ugliness fundamental and systematic, the result of the abnormal nature of the Brigstocks, from whose composition the principle of taste had been extravagantly omitted. In the arrangement of their home some other principle, remarkably active, but uncanny and obscure, had operated instead, with consequences depressing to behold, consequences that took the form of a universal futility. The house was bad in all conscience, but it might have passed if they had only let it alone. This saving mercy was beyond them; they had smothered it with trumpery ornament and scrapbook art, with strange excrescences and bunchy draperies, with gimcracks that might have been keepsakes for maid-servants and nondescript conveniences that might have been prizes for the blind. They had gone wildly astray over carpets and curtains; they had an infallible instinct for disaster, and were so cruelly doom-ridden that it rendered them almost tragic. Their drawing-room, Mrs Gereth lowered her voice to mention, caused her face to burn, and each of the new friends confided to the other that in her own apartment she had given way to tears."

• Like 9

The second is 'The Bridge' from Gregor.

About 7 teenage boy who get the order to defend a bridge, while defending they die one by one, but in between you read about their youth and how they joined the army.

It is set in WWII, Nazi Germany, but the story is so universal that it could be placed everywhere, where war is.

Another one where I've seen the movie--Die Brücke--but not read the book, nor even knew it existed. Now I will have to keep an eye out for it in English.
  • Like 7

I'm currently reading Argo: How the CIA and Hollywood Pulled Off the Most Audacious Rescue in History  by Antonio Mendez and Matt Baglio for my book group on Thursday.  We usually read fiction, but this is the rare non-fiction choice.  I'm about seventy-five pages in, and it's a quick read thus far.  More thoughts when I'm finished.

"On November 4, 1979, Iranian militants stormed the American embassy in Tehran and captured dozens of American hostages, sparking a 444-day ordeal and a quake in global politics still reverberating today. But there is a little-known drama connected to the crisis: six Americans escaped. And a top-level CIA officer named Antonio Mendez devised an ingenious yet incredibly risky plan to rescue them before they were detected.

Disguising himself as a Hollywood producer, and supported by a cast of expert forgers, deep cover CIA operatives, foreign agents, and Hollywood special effects artists, Mendez traveled to Tehran under the guise of scouting locations for a fake science fiction film called Argo. While pretending to find the perfect film backdrops, Mendez and a colleague succeeded in contacting the escapees, and smuggling them out of Iran.

Antonio Mendez finally details the extraordinarily complex and dangerous operation he led more than three decades ago. A riveting story of secret identities and international intrigue, Argo is the gripping account of the history-making collusion between Hollywood and high-stakes espionage."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Another one where I've seen the movie--Die Brücke--but not read the book, nor even knew it existed. Now I will have to keep an eye out for it in English.

It looks as though it was published in English in 1960 ~

The Bridge by Manfred Gregor (1960).

Am I correct in thinking you live in Texas?  If so, there are several university libraries that have it in their collections.  See here.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I might be up for a re-read of Poynton....

Ooooh. I guess I'll jump in and try it out too.

Oh, yes.

"It was an ugliness fundamental and systematic, the result of the abnormal nature of the Brigstocks, from whose composition the principle of taste had been extravagantly omitted. In the arrangement of their home some other principle, remarkably active, but uncanny and obscure, had operated instead, with consequences depressing to behold, consequences that took the form of a universal futility. The house was bad in all conscience, but it might have passed if they had only let it alone. This saving mercy was beyond them; they had smothered it with trumpery ornament and scrapbook art, with strange excrescences and bunchy draperies, with gimcracks that might have been keepsakes for maid-servants and nondescript conveniences that might have been prizes for the blind. They had gone wildly astray over carpets and curtains; they had an infallible instinct for disaster, and were so cruelly doom-ridden that it rendered them almost tragic. Their drawing-room, Mrs Gereth lowered her voice to mention, caused her face to burn, and each of the new friends confided to the other that in her own apartment she had given way to tears."

After I read this passage to DH, he promptly disallowed the departed Mr. James from ever visiting our home. I guess ghosts count too.

• Like 8

I'm currently reading Argo: How the CIA and Hollywood Pulled Off the Most Audacious Rescue in History by Antonio Mendez and Matt Baglio for my book group on Thursday. We usually read fiction, but this is the rare non-fiction choice. I'm about seventy-five pages in, and it's a quick read thus far. More thoughts when I'm finished.

"On November 4, 1979, Iranian militants stormed the American embassy in Tehran and captured dozens of American hostages, sparking a 444-day ordeal and a quake in global politics still reverberating today. But there is a little-known drama connected to the crisis: six Americans escaped. And a top-level CIA officer named Antonio Mendez devised an ingenious yet incredibly risky plan to rescue them before they were detected.

Disguising himself as a Hollywood producer, and supported by a cast of expert forgers, deep cover CIA operatives, foreign agents, and Hollywood special effects artists, Mendez traveled to Tehran under the guise of scouting locations for a fake science fiction film called Argo. While pretending to find the perfect film backdrops, Mendez and a colleague succeeded in contacting the escapees, and smuggling them out of Iran.

Antonio Mendez finally details the extraordinarily complex and dangerous operation he led more than three decades ago. A riveting story of secret identities and international intrigue, Argo is the gripping account of the history-making collusion between Hollywood and high-stakes espionage."

Regards,

Kareni

It is also a pretty good movie.....Argo. dh watches it and says it is accurate, at least to the situation/ not the book. Lol

• Like 6

I have to share my excitement with you all. It looks like dh and I will be in London in early 2016! I've been busy reading travel books, including one entitled Literary London, and I'm drooling over this Buzzfeed list of 14 beautiful independent bookstores in London.  I could use a little advice from those of you used to colder climes.  I haven't bought a winter coat since 1985, and my San Diego weight rain coat won't be warm enough especially since it isn't roomy enough to go over layers. So what does a city girl wear in the winter in London?  

I've already been in touch with Mumto2 but she likely will be on this side of "the pond" when we're there.

I have only been to London in summer and early fall so take my advice with a tub of salt. Seems to me though that the UK is damp/cold in winter.  Since you are a child of sunshine and warmth, this may not have a lot of meaning but I find that damp/cold can be a penetrating sort of cold even when the temperature is not that low. 

Layers are usually the way to go in winter anyway.  I love wool and thus suggest you consider buying a warm wool sweater, maybe wooly tights.  It doesn't snow a lot in London but you should be prepared for rain.  I wonder if one of LL Bean's lined rain jackets might be the way to go.  I have one with a wool lining that works well in the damp/cold we have in January/February.

Obviously more informed people need to weigh in.

• Like 8

I have only been to London in summer and early fall so take my advice with a tub of salt. Seems to me though that the UK is damp/cold in winter.  Since you are a child of sunshine and warmth, this may not have a lot of meaning but I find that damp/cold can be a penetrating sort of cold even when the temperature is not that low. 

Layers are usually the way to go in winter anyway.  I love wool and thus suggest you consider buying a warm wool sweater, maybe wooly tights.  It doesn't snow a lot in London but you should be prepared for rain.  I wonder if one of LL Bean's lined rain jackets might be the way to go.  I have one with a wool lining that works well in the damp/cold we have in January/February.

Obviously more informed people need to weigh in.

Jenn, I'm so excited! How fun. London is a wonderful city. Please, please, please go to the British Museum while you're there. I know when I was there eons ago that I was able to walk through a section of their library section, which was just so cool. Not sure if a section of it is always open to the public or not, but ask if you are there. I've been there in winter & you can buy roasted chestnuts (over an open fire) from street vendors... at least you could a long time ago.

I agree with Jane re: wool for warmth, definitely layer, & a heavy/lined good jacket. When it's cold, one thing that always helps me too is a pair of ski leggings under my pants. (I have a pair of Hot Chillys from years ago & they are still a staple piece I wear often in winter.) Keeping my legs warm goes a long way toward keeping me warm. In a coat, I think you'd want something with pretty strong water resistance, plenty of space to layer underneath. A good raincoat like Jane mentioned will also help cut the wind. Another option, coat-wise, would be a lightweight ski jacket; a ski jacket will keep any wet/water off you too. (Check REI or Land's End.) It will definitely keep you warm. Don't forget a hat, gloves, warm socks, scarf, & good shoes too.

My dd has something similar to this squall jacket from Lands End. She uses it for ski trips, but it also serves as her regular winter coat. (She tends to wear it when it's in the 40s or below. Otherwise, she just layers up some lighter fleece over her top.) It's great rain or shine & will definitely keep you warm.

Also note that many places in Europe that I've visited do not keep the heating on at levels like we're used to keeping them in the US, esp. for people coming from warm climates. So make sure some of the layers you have will be comfy indoors too w/out feeling too bulky or anything.

It should be in the 40s most of the time, I would think. So, not bad. And you'll be moving around, walking, so that keeps you warm.

• Like 7

Also note that many places in Europe that I've visited do not keep the heating on at levels like we're used to keeping them in the US, esp. for people coming from warm climates. So make sure some of the layers you have will be comfy indoors too w/out feeling too bulky or anything.

I think this makes it easier to dress. The only thing worse than cold weather is a 100 degree temperature swing when you enter or exit a building. When I attended college in Minnesota I would bundle up to walk to class in the -20 degree cold, then have to strip down to a t-shirt to sit in an 80 degree classroom. When it's chilly both inside and out, it's easy to wear a shirt with a wool sweater, and then add a light waterproof jacket for outside. 

• Like 8

I think this makes it easier to dress. The only thing worse than cold weather is a 100 degree temperature swing when you enter or exit a building. When I attended college in Minnesota I would bundle up to walk to class in the -20 degree cold, then have to strip down to a t-shirt to sit in an 80 degree classroom. When it's chilly both inside and out, it's easy to wear a shirt with a wool sweater, and then add a light waterproof jacket for outside. 

I agree. I like it chillier inside too, esp. in winter. I was mostly mentioning it because even hotels at night in Europe are sometimes are chillier than what you might be used to.

(Of course, we had the opposite problem when we went skiing at Whistler a few years ago. The hotel had huge down comforters on the bed, but the heat adjustment in the room wouldn't go below 70. We routinely keep our heat in the mid-60s in our house in winter, so 70 felt steamy hot to us. We were having heat stroke because the room was so warm, not to mention the super thick blankets. We kept our outside balcony door open every night (even though there was decent snow falling every night), just to offset the heat, lol.)

And, dressing properly for the outdoors also makes it nicer if it's sunny & you want to sit outside for lunch or something.

• Like 9

Since you are a child of sunshine and warmth, this may not have a lot of meaning but I find that damp/cold can be a penetrating sort of cold even when the temperature is not that low. 

Thank you for weighing in, Jane and Stacia -- and Mumto2 via private message. I think I'm more prepared for London winter than a US winter.  Damp/cold is what we do in coastal SoCal, (well, when its cold,) and while we have a heater and fire place, we tend to leave our house on the cold side. So I've got the sweaters, hats, and gloves for layers, just need a decent lined rain coat.  My 1985 winter coat is still in my closet -- in all its big, boxy, shoulder padded glory!  :D   I think I can justify buying something more updated, don't you think?!

• Like 9

Thank you for weighing in, Jane and Stacia -- and Mumto2 via private message. I think I'm more prepared for London winter than a US winter.  Damp/cold is what we do in coastal SoCal, (well, when its cold,) and while we have a heater and fire place, we tend to leave our house on the cold side. So I've got the sweaters, hats, and gloves for layers, just need a decent lined rain coat.  My 1985 winter coat is still in my closet -- in all its big, boxy, shoulder padded glory!  :D   I think I can justify buying something more updated, don't you think?!

Hey, the '80s are in now! :lol:

You could take your old coat with you & sell it in a vintage shop in London. Then go buy a new coat in London!

• Like 8

Last night I finished reading Argo: How the CIA and Hollywood Pulled Off the Most Audacious Rescue in History  by Antonio Mendez and Matt Baglio for my book group on Thursday. 

I haven't seen the movie, but several reviews I've read state that the movie added a number of scenes to add excitement.  (And a few reviews of the book I've read complain about how boring the book is compared to the movie.)  According to the book, the rescue went off in a very smooth fashion which I'm sure is exactly what the CIA and the 'houseguests' hoped for.  But I can appreciate that that wouldn't make for a gripping film!  That said, I didn't find the book boring at all.  It was a quick read, and I'm glad to have read it.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Mel, I think it is Patricia Briggs Mercedes Thompson series. The bar owner was fae - uncle mike. Maybe not. Could be faith Hunter or Larissa ione as well.

• Like 7

A few currently free books for Kindle readers ~

This one sounds intriguing; it's an urban fantasy work: The Regent's Gamble (A Spellbound Consortium Book 1) by A. Payne and N.D. Taylor

I've posted this before, but I see it's free again.  I like this new adult book very much:  The Year We Fell Down: A Hockey Romance (The Ivy Years Book 1) by Sarina Bowen

also free by the same author, a contemporary romance:

Coming In From the Cold (Gravity Book 1)

an entertaining contemporary romance that I enjoyed: Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City  by Penny Reid

and one about which I've heard good things:  Imperfect Chemistry (Imperfect Series...  by Mary Frame

and one whose title I like  (Who, me? Judge a book by its title?):   The Girl Who Tweeted Wolf (Hobson & Choi, Book 1)  by Nick Bryan

and this one sounds totally bizarre but actually has a number of good reviews:  Unicorn Western by Johnny B. Truant and Sean Platt

Enjoy!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Good morning my reading friends.

VC continues to influence my reading.  I too have jumped on the Poynton bus, although with some trepidation.  I downloaded the novel from Google books.  E-books and I don't quite mesh but fortunately Poynton is available at my library.  I will pick up a copy on my next visit there.

I also started reading the latest Archipelago to arrive in my mailbox, Tristano Dies, by Antonio Tabucchi, whose short story collection, Times Ages in a Hurry, I read earlier in the year. This book is translated by Elizabeth Harris who wrote an essay for Pen America on the project. As he is dying, war hero Tristano calls a writer to his bedside to offer his memories from his morphine glazed haze.  Immediately I sense that Tristano may not be a reliable narrator with the facts, but offers something far greater in his observations of the past.

Oh yes, I also finished Maugham's Asheden which I enjoyed very much.

• Like 9

I too have jumped on the Poynton bus

Omnibus.

This has been posted here before, but:

How to tell if you're in a Henry James Novel

http://the-toast.net/2015/01/14/tell-henry-james-novel/

22. You finally get everything you’ve ever wanted—in such a way that exposes the deepest faults in your nature and lays bare a world of treachery, deceit, and cheaply made furnishings.

• Like 10

I finished an interesting book this morning. Jessica Knoll's Luckiest Girl alive is another book that has been compared to Gone Girl. After quitting The Girl on the Train I almost took myself off the list for this book. I can't say it was great but it was a book that kept me reading. This is the goodreads linkhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24688276-luckiest-girl-aliveand this is a different onehttp://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/07/16/jessica-knoll-luckiest-girl-alive-review/29974279/. Apparently it has been optioned to be made into a movie but it wil be a painful one for many to watch I think. I wouldn't choose to go see it knowing what some of the scenes will be.........I want to give spoilers, really badly, but the thing that makes the book and story reasonably good is all caught up in the big spoiler. Definitely has triggers ........ bullying, r@pe, school violence among them. I liked the ending.

• Like 6

Finished The Giver with my kids. I've never read the sequels and I'm debating. I hear such mixed reviews. One part of me wants to keep the book with the ending and have it live happily ever after in my head without the added books. 

My daughter read the other three books this year.  After the second book she was a little confused as to how they really went together.  After the third she was happier.  She absolutely loved how the fourth drew it all together.  She has highly recommended I read the other three.

• Like 10

Heather - Holding you in the light. May you find enough deeply absorbing fast paced fascinating books to see you through your illness and surgery and recovery. Hugs.

Crystalstarlight - Wow! What a devastatingly accurate portrayal of how autumn feels when you are grieving! Yikes!

I can,t remember enough of BNW to participate in the discussion, but isn,t the Middle Way the Buddhist way to enlightenment?

My favourite Hitchcock movie (and I think probably the only one I,ve seen, not liking scary movies) is The Trouble with Harry. We rewatched this recently. The scary part for me is the poor bunny.

For family weekend, we went car camping in Acadia National Park. During the long car ride, we listened to Mary Robert Rinehart,s The Afterhouse. I probably mangled the spellings but whenever I have tried to switch screens and check something like that, I,ve lost my post, so I am just going to leave it. That will have to count as my spooky October book. I usually like books from that period, but I don,t think I am going to read any more of this author. It passed the car ride, at least. The evenings were cold and windy, so after we toasted our fronts and a few marshmallows, we climbed into our sleeping bags with our books. Son had come unprepared, but luckily I am used to having to supply husband and sons with books and could give him a Ngaio Marsh. He likes those and got through half of it before returning to school. It will probably take him the rest of the semester to finish it. I read The Duke,s Daughter, one of my favourite Angela Thirkell,s. We ate so many popovers that the waiter guessed there were no popovers where we came from. We had unlimited visibility and the view from the ridges when we were hiking was spectacular. We met a very young coyote and wondered if there were more around the corner. The dog was off her lead at the time because she has a false hip joint and can,t manage any climbing unless she can choose her own path and pace. Fortunately, she is an intelligent beastie and didn,t go after the coyote. We watched the shadow of Cadillac Mt. Rise as the sun set. We also saw the Japanese garden, which was beautiful at this time of year. At one time, I read every book on Japanese gardens that interlibrary loan could get me, except that fictional one that is so depressing, Tale of ?Genji?, so I always try to visit when we are near. It seemed strange to go by car rather than boat. The colours were gorgious, whole hillsides of bright red blueberry barrens or flaming maples.

Jane, when we were taking the boat up the river to be hauled yesterday, we saw eight egrets in the marsh. Mum thought they had all left. And my aunt called to say that she saw a loon on Quabbin reservoir (where Boston,s water comes from). We have them on the ocean here, but don,t see them on lakes this far south. Maybe migrating?

Nan

• Like 13

Finished The Giver with my kids. I've never read the sequels and I'm debating. I hear such mixed reviews. One part of me wants to keep the book with the ending and have it live happily ever after in my head without the added books. 

I thought they were a mixed bag, definitely.  Gathering Blue was ok but it didn't feel connected to the first story.  Messenger, I absolutely hated.  Blech.  I liked Son, and was glad I read it, it did tie the series together and got back to some of the same themes in the original Giver.  You could easily just read The Giver and Son and skip the middle two without missing much.  IMHO.

• Like 10

Finished "Song of Achilies" and my opinion of it remains unchanged. It is funny to me how quickly I can speed through a book if I am engaged and how long it can take me when I am not.  I read "White Teeth" in the same amount of time as Song of Achilies, lol.

I am next in line for the Elena Ferranti book "Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay".  I can't wait for it! 

Our library is having a 'big read' of two YA books: The Door in the Hedge and In the Shadow of Blackbirds.  I will read one or both to pass the time waiting for my 'real' books, lol.

Song of Achilles left me longing to reread the Iliad.  So much of that book felt leaden to me until she finally got to Iliad territory. Well, of course all of it was in Iliad territory, I know that, but when it got to the end and Priam comes to beg for Hector's body etc, everything got so much better.  I've never read the entire thing, just selections for classes..but I also know I am NOT into big battle scenes. I get lost in those. I might give it a shot next year. I'd like a super readable translation though.

• Like 10

After the talk about No Country for Old Men I picked it up at the library while browsing yesterday. This is a re-read for me.

VC continues to influence my reading.  I too have jumped on the Poynton bus, although with some trepidation.  I downloaded the novel from Google books.  E-books and I don't quite mesh but fortunately Poynton is available at my library.  I will pick up a copy on my next visit there.

I also started reading the latest Archipelago to arrive in my mailbox, Tristano Dies, by Antonio Tabucchi, whose short story collection, Times Ages in a Hurry, I read earlier in the year. This book is translated by Elizabeth Harris who wrote an essay for Pen America on the project. As he is dying, war hero Tristano calls a writer to his bedside to offer his memories from his morphine glazed haze.  Immediately I sense that Tristano may not be a reliable narrator with the facts, but offers something far greater in his observations of the past.

I think I'm in Chapter 4 of Poynton. Tristano Dies is sitting on my shelf and I'll get to it in November, I think. I'm kind sorta determined to not let the Archipelago books pile up too much, but my reading time is full for October.

How to tell if you're in a Henry James Novel
http://the-toast.net/2015/01/14/tell-henry-james-novel/

:lol:

• Like 6