Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blossom'sGirl

PSAT - next week

Thanks, I checked and it says to mail or fax a letter to them if a student misses due to illness. Does anyone have an experience with this - what are the alternate means of entry? I'm not sure what to do... I could also look for a school giving it on the 28th, but not sure if I could register him this late. I guess I will see how he feels in the morning.

If you can't get him in on the 28th, don't sweat--seriously.  The procedure is to take the SAT and have the SAT score substituted for the PSAT score.  With the new PSAT score conversion for NM purposes, I don't know exactly how that will work, but "back in the day," which is to say, 1983, you dropped the final digit of the SAT, so a 2340 SAT converted to and was treated as a 234 PSAT for NM cut-off purposes.  I know this because this is how I qualified for a NM scholarship that, at the time, paid for almost half of my undergraduate education.  We had never even heard of the NM program or the PSAT until after October of my junior hear.  My podunk high school was zero help, but my mom got on the phone and called GCs at all of the other local schools who all told her "tough luck," but one finally gave her the number of the NMSC.  The NMSC told her about the SAT substitution option.  I've seen references to it since then, so it sounds like the procedure is still pretty much the same.  As others have noted, it works only if you did not take the PSAT.  You have a time limit to take the SAT but, as I recall, it is fairly generous.  If you make semi-finalist, you still have to take the SAT again to qualify as a finalist.

My daughter pees only 2-3 times a day.  She has always had a huge bladder.  It's not uncommon for her to wake up, pee, and then not pee again until bedtime.  I don't get it, but it's the way she's always been.  At one point, one of the proctors actually came over to her during a break and told her she really should use the bathroom.  My daughter insisted she really was fine and did not need to go.  The two women administering the test were *very* concerned about her lack of needing to use the restroom!

My daughter pees only 2-3 times a day.  She has always had a huge bladder.  It's not uncommon for her to wake up, pee, and then not pee again until bedtime.  I don't get it, but it's the way she's always been.  At one point, one of the proctors actually came over to her during a break and told her she really should use the bathroom.  My daughter insisted she really was fine and did not need to go.  The two women administering the test were *very* concerned about her lack of needing to use the restroom!

That's weird. These are teenagers, not kindergartners!

I do think it's appalling that some students were not given adequate access to use the bathroom during the test, as somebody described above. But someone not needing to use the bathroom would not surprise me at all. It's only a three hour test. For many people, that's not a long stretch at all. I doubt my ds used the bathroom during his breaks either. I, on the other hand, would definitely need to!

I agree! My daughter is an athlete who drinks at least a gallon of water a day. Hydration is a big thing for her and bathroom breaks are necessary when you drink that much water. She felt confident till she was done with the test. Then she was unsure. I reminded her that this is a practice for us and it was a new test for everyone. So these scores are not as important as they would be if she were a junior. 

Well I found a school that will let my son take the PSAT on the 28th.  It is 45 minutes away, but he says he'd rather do that and get it over with with than wait to see which SAT they want him to take and study all over again.  Glad to hear the test was comparable to the practice test, it sounds like it went about like everyone expected.

Well I found a school that will let my son take the PSAT on the 28th.  It is 45 minutes away, but he says he'd rather do that and get it over with with than wait to see which SAT they want him to take and study all over again.  Glad to hear the test was comparable to the practice test, it sounds like it went about like everyone expected.

Does anyone know if the second PSAT is the exact same test as the first test?

If so then a photographic memory person could help a friend "cheat" to get a scholarship.  Yeah a little far-fetched.

Does anyone know if the second PSAT is the exact same test as the first test?

If so then a photographic memory person could help a friend "cheat" to get a scholarship. Yeah a little far-fetched.

I would very much doubt it is the same form. There have been significant cheating issues over the last few years and CB is aware of the fact that people will try if they think they can get away with it.

My son took this on Wednesday. He felt the CR was easy, and the math harder than the ACT, but not impossible. He was unable to finish 2 grid in questions. The problems were more complicated. It sounds like ds will need to take statistics this summer as part of his preparations. He thinks he did well, but was sad there were only 2-3 Geometry questions. He's currently taking precalculus, but did some trig last year in physics. None of his friends liked the PSAT format at all. He's a 10th grader this year. Dd in 8th wasn't allowed to take it at all.