Menu

Writing Letters of Recommendation--Rating Students

AFwife Claire

So because I teach in a co-op, I am called to write letters of recommendation, which I do not mind doing at all.  The common app one, plus the ones for military academies (the 2 types I've been asked to submit) both have a section where I have to rate the student as "one of the top few encountered in my career", "top 5%", "top 10%", etc. in a bunch of different areas.  The kid I'm writing for right now is truly an excellent young man in all senses of the word.  But it seems weird to check "one of the top few" every single time, especially since the Common App knows I do not teach in a registered high school, and so presumably don't have oodles and oodles of other students with which to compare him. I worry that a column of "one of the top few" boxes checked would make them discount me as a recommender. But then it seems like a markdown to say "top 5%" in a few areas.  Anyone else struggle with this?  I don't want to hurt his chances!

Think of it this way....  How many students have you taught over the years?  50?  100?  200?  500?   If you had to put them in order, from best to worst, where would he be in that line?  Is he a superstar in every thing he does?  Would he really be one of the top few in every category? You aren't going to hurt his chances by being honest.  If he deserves to be marked in a lower group, that's what hurt his chances.  You are just reporting it.

If he is truly outstanding, check "one of the top few". It asks you to compare him to the students you have seen in your career.

He is, so check the box. (btw, the recommender could be a young teacher or a new college prof who had not yet seen hundreds of students ether)

The recommendation plays just a small role in the application process. Test scores and outside grades speak for themselves. Don't overthink - just give your honest opinion.

• Like 2

So because I teach in a co-op, I am called to write letters of recommendation, which I do not mind doing at all.  The common app one, plus the ones for military academies (the 2 types I've been asked to submit) both have a section where I have to rate the student as "one of the top few encountered in my career", "top 5%", "top 10%", etc. in a bunch of different areas.  The kid I'm writing for right now is truly an excellent young man in all senses of the word.  But it seems weird to check "one of the top few" every single time, especially since the Common App knows I do not teach in a registered high school, and so presumably don't have oodles and oodles of other students with which to compare him. I worry that a column of "one of the top few" boxes checked would make them discount me as a recommender. But then it seems like a markdown to say "top 5%" in a few areas.  Anyone else struggle with this?  I don't want to hurt his chances!

I agree that you should be honest about where he ranks relative to all the students you have taught.  That might mean marking him down; it might mean marking him high.

You can also put it into context in your comments by saying how large his particular class was and how many students you have taught over the years.

Specific examples really help the readers too.